• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Starting a new rugby club an insane idea? Gippsland, Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I am also in Melbourne for the time being and would be happy to help in any way. I think its a great idea and initiative.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
The season ends tomorrow. Advertise for a meeting of all interested parties at some local pub in a months time and you're good to go!

Also, it's looking likely EHills will be demoted so the VRU will be less concerned with their player base being eroded. This would be a great thing for Vic rugby.

Where did you get that info from re EH being relegated?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Where did you get that info from re EH being relegated?

At the time I'd heard that Prems was definitely down to 8 from 10 but I've heard different since then so who knows.

I heard Uni were a no-go on account of their Colts program, location, and influence in Vic Rugby and that left Boroondara/Endeavour.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I suspected it would be Boroondara and Hills that would be gone. IIRC, Hills were relegated a few years back, it has been a while for Boroondara.

Tough gig for Hills then, as most of the Div 2 teams are outer North/West, bar Monash Uni. Suppose can't be any worse than the Plovers.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Btw. You could look at these guys for inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brimbank-Rugby-Union-Club/321802581204407

They've been helped by Footscray and Wyndham from what I understand. Maybe Hills (with their impending relegation) could assist this new club.

And Melbourne by the looks of those jerseys the kids were wearing early on...

RE relegation: I reckon there is 3 clubs in the firing line, Box Hill, End Hills and Boroondara. Be pretty tough on any side that goes down but I wouldn't be so sure that it is going to be EH that goes, there is a very strong junior program there and they won the U18s and under 12s, and just lost the colts and under 16s. They were also 3rd on the club championship with only Melbourne and Quins ahead of them (Uni, Box Hill and Boroondara were not in the top 10 so not listed on the VRU website).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
And Melbourne by the looks of those jerseys the kids were wearing early on.

RE relegation: I reckon there is 3 clubs in the firing line, Box Hill, End Hills and Boroondara. Be pretty tough on any side that goes down but I wouldn't be so sure that it is going to be EH that goes, there is a very strong junior program there and they won the U18s and under 12s, and just lost the colts and under 16s. They were also 3rd on the club championship with only Melbourne and Quins ahead of them (Uni, Box Hill and Boroondara were not in the top 10 so not listed on the VRU website).

Yeah I agree but the reality is EH is not compeditive in Prems. Obviously their 2s did well but I'd infer they were stacked. I think they need time though, it's hard to get numbers in that part of down but I suppose they're growing.

As for BH, they have a juniour team at every grade and have been in Prems for forever and a day, demoting them just doesn't make sense.

Personally, I'm coming around to the school of thought that there's no advantage to be had in relegating anyone.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
not really. My hope now is to try and start a 7s program on the back of olympic excitement in 2016 or 17.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gippsland has a rugby league club according to google if your interested

Victorian club rugby league is not a great comp. Guys playing a near full game for the 1s and the 2s is commonplace.

Sure, this has happened on the odd occasion in Vic Rugby Union but in league it's commonplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.