1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Starting with the young ones (3-9 year olds) - The Adrain Garvey way

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by PaarlBok, Aug 25, 2011.

1. PaarlBok Rod McCall (65)

Adrain Garvey drive this one in SA and worth a look at.
    http://www.garvz.co.za/index.asp?page=Home

This program includes rugby, hockey, cricket and soccer in Natal, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Zimbabwe and the Eastern Cape.

When my kids were small we had the Playball programs running for the small ones.

Backyard sport is always usefull for kids and parents but this kind of coaching put them well on their way to play sport.

Do you have this kind of programs running in Australia?
  2. antipodean Banned

3. PaarlBok Rod McCall (65)

4. Rob42 Vay Wilson (31)

My son just finished his season of under 8s rugby with the local club. I think it's primarily the local clubs that drive the usual comp, but the ARU can help out with development officers, etc, for special events - I think the club is planning a "Try Rugby" afternoon in the scholl holidays to coincide with the RWC. As for schools? Most schools may have the odd session with a development officer if parents push hard enough, but otherwise at primary school level they play only with the local club. At least that's my impression here in Sydney.
  5. Ruggo Mark Ella (57)

In Darwin it is hard to get the local union to run a clinic at your school. Our club does some good junior work though. Years ago we used to fundraise all junior fees to make it free for all but the costs these days are a killer. The club used to be really in touch with the community which has a reputation as a rough neighbourhood.
  6. PaarlBok Rod McCall (65)

Thanks for that. In SA, rugby is very much school driven. Saru is nowhere with this. Garvey drive his program via the provinces. Myself is sure this is the place where you should grow the game, at the very bottom grassroot of the structure. For every suingle laaitie who decide to play rugby , he draw his support base who usualy is the parents and family. Thats where you get the rugby culture from.
  7. PaarlBok Rod McCall (65)

SARU's new inisiative for the laaities

Lionsworld