• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of Origin Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Maybe the ARU should be celebrating the cultural diversity of the game here and make it a contest between a team of players born here vs those born overseas.

Only problem I see is, that will turn it into too much of an exhibition match, which is fine in my books and is in the right direction of not being a SoO rip-off which I'm against.

If we're after a more exhibition type of match, I think you really want to engage with the fans to drive the success of it. Look at the 'All Stars' matches that the NBA puts on, selection is driven off a public vote. So, it'll create a connection between the players playing in the game which will drive interest in it.

For me, if we're having exhibition games, they can be run pre-match to the Wallaby games during the June/July matches. Public votes for the squad/team who play the Barbarians/Samoa/Fiji/NZ Maori.

T

TOCC

I think the different terminology is semantics, all I'm getting at is the issue isn't stagnation in the model like you said, there has been plenty of change (or as you said, "experimenting").

I actually think the model they arrived at in 2009ish of the three 5 team conferences was a good one.

I never specifically said just Super Rugby, although that is a good example of failure to evolve and keep abreast of changing market conditions. I said Australia Rugby as a whole, that includes the inability to develop a FTA product or actively engage new markets and retain existing ones . This is where Australian Rugby has failed to evolve. They were presented with the chance to take the easy option of expansion to generate more product and more revenue, and that's what they went with. They did it with Super Rugby and they did it with the Bledisloe Cup.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Choice? I don't there was much choice. What could the ARU have done, in realistic terms? Like it or not, we are beholden to the Seffas and the Keewees, and they know it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There was (and is) a choice. We could not play as much in the Euro/SA timezone, and play fewer test matches. It would mean we would have to pay our players less, and probably lose more of them to the other leagues, and probably be less successful than we are at international level.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Rather than a SOO why don't the current squads of the Reds vs. Waratahs just have an extra game for the Templeton Cup at Ballymore?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't mind giving the SOO concept a try as well versed concept that works in league and interstate rivalries between QLD and NSW strong....yes it excludes those who were born / first played union outside of NSW/QLD like it does in League. Accept that as we don't want to overcomplicate at this point and introduce Allies team.

But if going to give this red hot go surely would want best players available...ok crowded calendar makes this hard but I would have thought to give this any chance to really gain traction would need to be like League where best players available and pitched as a rep game for players to aspire to be involved in rather than the exhibition game with B team non wallaby players involved in.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Don't know for certain but I would think that QLD eligible players would love (with a passion) to don a QLD jersey to play a NSW based team. Don't also know whether the "passion" would extend to those south of the border/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't know for certain but I would think that QLD eligible players would love (with a passion) to don a QLD jersey to play a NSW based team. Don't also know whether the "passion" would extend to those south of the border/

Oh, as a Tahs fan I hate the Reds (within the confines of when we play them. Generally have more animosity for the Brumbies these tbh) but considering the moxed nature of the teams in Super Rugby these days I really cannot see myself being able to muster the necessary hate for this concept.

If we are going to do Origin of any kind I think some kind of nod to the PI's would be better suited quite frankly. As suggested earlier.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
If born in or played their first senior game in one of the States then I of course agree.

Personally I don't care about the colour of ones skin or heritage. Plenty of PI lads would therefore qualify

Status
Not open for further replies.