• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stephen Moore - world's best hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
From the pen of former All Black captain Sean Fitzpatrick http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10543323

The Australian scrum survives largely because they have the man I consider world rugby's best hooker: Stephen Moore, a good scrummager.

From the pen of Naza, the smartest poster on the Scarf http://forum.theyellowscarf.com/index.php?topic=7034.msg22730#msg22730

Hooker - Stephen Moore - the magnificent, the world's best hooker

So, are there any doubters now ? Any more of you aching to see TPN in the side due to his 'ability in the loose' ? :lmao:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Uh.... Sean Fitzpatrick was also the bloke who wouldn't pick any Aussies in a combined Anzac side a mere 48 hours before we rammed that comment up his side in 2003.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
And Nick the Aussie is the bloke who'd have Phil Waugh over George Smith and has never rated Moore.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And naza is the bloke who likes to remember only those remarks that suit his argument.

For your benefit, let me reiterate my stance on Smith v Waugh: depending on the opponent, one is better suited than the other. England and South Africa are Waugh teams because he's stronger over the ball against a pack mentality. Smith is better suited to teams like France and NZ because they traditionally play wider and faster, which suits him.

At no point have I not rated Moore - but he has had some appalling games in the gold jersey and deserves the criticism he gets for those games. To suggest otherwise is most naz-ish of you.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure I agree with Moore's man of the match award from the weekend's game. Not saying that he didn't play very well, but he did make some mistakes, so there may have been one or two more deserving players.

A Moore injury is a scary prospect for the Wallabies though. Hooker, THP and IC seem to be very thin on backup at the moment. Hopefully this will right itself in the next 2 years.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Moore gets my vote as best hooker in Aus. I think Moore reminds Sean FP of himself, which would automatically rate him as worlds best in SFP's eyes.

Not sure about worlds best - I am sure some Saffars think highly of Smit for starters.
It seems like we have been waiting for ever for TPN to get his line out throwing right, I suspect the tahs will start Frier next year and use TPN as an impact player of the bench.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
TPN shouldn't be anywhere near the football field unless coaches are prepared to get someone else to do the throwing. Which is what I'd do.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
On form Hore would be up there too, but yeah no one really stands out.
But Moore is certainly the best you guys have and easily 1 of the best right now. Certainly now that Hore is injured ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
mark_s said:
Moore gets my vote as best hooker in Aus. I think Moore reminds Sean FP of himself, which would automatically rate him as worlds best in SFP's eyes.

Not sure about worlds best - I am sure some Saffars think highly of Smit for starters.
It seems like we have been waiting for ever for TPN to get his line out throwing right, I suspect the tahs will start Frier next year and use TPN as an impact player of the bench.

Thereby ensuring he never gets any better. He doesn't need to develop his "impact" skills, he needs to get better at being a hooker. Every year we hear he's working hard on it. Maybe they should just accept he's crap at it, and rebuild him as something else before he gets too old.

T

Turban

Look at Moore's competition in the SH at the moment. Smit isn't even the top hooker in South Africa, Mealamu ditto for NZ. Hore is injured but is a bloody handy player and Bismark would probably be in the Bok's if they could find a decent leader in another position. Moore has had a good year and played some great games for the Red's where he was one of the top ball runners in close but lets give him a bit more time before we shower him with accolades.

H

Henners

I think its a bit early to be handing out this kind of praise to Moore. At the moment he has achieved slightly more the Huia Edmonds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Which means he's also better than Jeremy Paul ever was :fishing

TPN's throwing for the Tahs was quite good during the S14. So what the fuck happened?

H

hi-jinks

Jesus Naza, can you and Moore get a room and finally oust the obvious sexual tension between the two of you!!

OK, lets recap the Pom game.
The scrum was OK, he threw well. News flash if they are the only 2 things you have to do in your life while paid $300K a year, you would want to be good at it. He he accomplished at his basics, which to fair, is rare for an Aussie no. 2 in recent times.

Will he be one of our best? Hard to say, but interesting to see the ELV's making Hookers revert their play to the dark days of amature rugby. Set piece comes 1st. The scrum is a weapon again. The lineout is critical. If anything Tom Lawton would be a revalation in the modern game (ponder that one my younglings).

R

rugbywhisperer

I dunno.
I look at Stephen Moore and I don't see a real bright light.
I don't think he is a patch on Lawton or even Kearns. Moore just does the two things - throw and hook and up until last Saturday he hadn't consistently excelled in either of those traits.
One good game does not make a champion (and let's face it - he hasn't had too mank good games of late) and I would like to see how he matures from this tour and puts his game together next year before I make any comments on him being even above mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.