• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Correct............

There's tipping a player on their head, which is wrong..........

And then there's what is known as the 'Umaga/Mealumu cleanout' which is perfectly legal...............

There's a very subtle difference.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck it cyclo, now I have to join in!

Fact is, NMS landed in a slightly worse position than Whitelock did against the Tahs - for which a total of 6 weeks were handed down to two players. Fruean should have been sat down for at least 4 weeks after that judgement was handed down.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Just because someone else got off doesn't mean someone else should as well. It's a bullshit argument and should be ignore or treated as trolling.

It depends. If they are very similar, you expect consistency of ruling.

But yes agree 4 games is about what most of us expected so no surprises. Dangerous enough that they need to add a couple of weeks as a deterrent but not malicious enough to rub him out for months.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight is pretty unlucky though.....

There is a proper method for tipping a player on their head and not being cited that is demonstrated below:

9CCw2M6.gif

Posted in the match thread I thought it was worth 2 weeks, had I seen that angle I'd have been saying 4...........

Cue Kiwi defence in 5,4,3..........

Your countdown must be well into the negatives by now? :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought that the recommended sanctions were supposed to serve as a deterrent.

If the IRB want to send a stronger message to the players, then increase the entry point, don't allow Judicial Officers to add GST to the base sanction.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The prevalence of these tip tackles seems to be increasing, not decreasing. Not so long ago you could have gone a full season or more at any level of rugby and not seen a player tipped head first into the ground.

Anyone have any theories? Has there been some sort of wrestling technique introduced into coaching programmes to gain the ascendancy in contact?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Must admit I haven't seen Fruean tackle up close, but it can't be a tip tackle, same as I thought with Skelton, his only contact made is in chest area, you cannot tip anyone making contact that high, and I am confident no one could tip anyone from a tackle that high, unless you use a hip to throw the person. I said the same about Skeltons,unless he actually threw him over hip, grabbing someone that high it is almost impossible to tip tackle someone.
And it not a kiwi thing Cyclo, it's a rugby thing, the rule will have to change that you can only tackle at waist or below to prevent players legs coming up in air at all through momentum!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fruean gets airborne & initially takes Milner-Skudder with him but let's go causing NMS to land on his head/ shoulder. Letter of the law-wise, that's a lifting tackle IMO, same as Skelton's was.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought that the recommended sanctions were supposed to serve as a deterrent.

If the IRB want to send a stronger message to the players, then increase the entry point, don't allow Judicial Officers to add GST to the base sanction.

The other issue for me here is how the deterrent GST is used. So correct me if I am wrong but no Brumbies have been cited during the season for a lifting tackles, and Henry's a first timer. So the deterrent comes from other players or teams offences?

Also the 5 weeks instead of 4 is like speculative invoicing - it based on a few assumptions including when he thinks Henry would play or be rested. Thus the extra week. I though we worked on facts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The other issue for me here is how the deterrent GST is used. So correct me if I am wrong but no Brumbies have been cited during the season for a lifting tackles, and Henry's a first timer. So the deterrent comes from other players or teams offences?

Also the 5 weeks instead of 4 is like speculative invoicing - it based on a few assumptions including when he thinks Henry would play or be rested. Thus the extra week. I though we worked on facts?

The idea behind a deterrent is that it convinces others against committing the offence due to the harshness of the penalty. It's a stupid concept in criminal justice just as it is with the rugby judiciary. It assumes that the dangerous action is done after considering the consequences which is clearly not the case.

The five weeks have been worked out based on facts. He's been suspended for four matches which are the Super rugby semi-final, final and the first two Rugby Championship matches. It just happens there is a week in between with no rugby so the four match suspension lasts five weeks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Must admit I haven't seen Fruean tackle up close, but it can't be a tip tackle, same as I thought with Skelton, his only contact made is in chest area, you cannot tip anyone making contact that high, and I am confident no one could tip anyone from a tackle that high, unless you use a hip to throw the person. I said the same about Skeltons,unless he actually threw him over hip, grabbing someone that high it is almost impossible to tip tackle someone.
And it not a kiwi thing Cyclo, it's a rugby thing, the rule will have to change that you can only tackle at waist or below to prevent players legs coming up in air at all through momentum!!
Watch Fruean's body movement through and after contact, particularly his shoulders and right arm - he is taller and applies force to the upper body of NMS who is airborne so not anchored at any point, so he pivots around a point. It effectively does tip NMS more, so intentional or not, the end result is a player upended to a degree and landing on his head / shoulder. A player does not have to be lifted to be tipped, intentionally or otherwise.
Intent, or lack thereof, is NOT a defence.
And it is a Kiwi thing, as thus far, I haven't seen too many (if any) jumping to Fruean's defence who are not. Human nature - we don't want to see the sins of our own players, however mild they may be.
My gripe is that the consistency is, as ever, lacking with SANZAR judicial proceedings.
If they want to get these tackles out of the game, apply the sanction you want (not a complex long division and multiplication Year 8 maths test question) and apply it to all where players end up on heads / shoulders, including clumsy clean-outs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah that was the first time I've seen the Fruean tackle. He should buy himself a lotto ticket because he was bloody lucky to get away with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.