• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did Edwars come on? Fainga'a was on early. Maybe Hardman was injured? The TH we lost looked like it was almost a clean strike by the Stormers.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Still. I don't think we should pick him. He should at least play club before being considered for selection.

I agree he doesn't have any rights to the 6 jersey if Higgingbotham is the best 6 for the season then he should get the nod.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
Did Edwars come on? Fainga'a was on early. Maybe Hardman was injured? The TH we lost looked like it was almost a clean strike by the Stormers.

I didn't see Edwards come on.

Fainga'a came on early for a blood replacement for Hardman, then after Hardman came back on, about 3 - 4 minutes later I looked up and Fainga'a was back on.

TH we lost I thought looked like a Reds front rower kicked it through, but I wasn't sure. From my memory the Reds scrum was under pressure all night.

Reds will have a good selection headache coming up soon - which three to pick out of McMeniman, Horwill, Humphries and Higgenbottham? Plus Ezra Taylor too, I guess. Good to see some depth somewhere for the Reds.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
formeropenside said:
I think the Reds were dudded by the ref, myself. And they should have won that.

The scrum was under pressure early but held together (save for somehow losing a tighthead) - and it got better as the game went on.

I probably would have subbed Edwards earlier, and Fainga'a later.

Nah.

Just watched the recording now and after 50 mins the Stormers were cruising in all aspects. They were arrogant enough to think they could cruise home. Reds robbed by the ref? Nah.

Full credit to the Reds though, they played all the rugby for the last 30 mins and actually looked good. They'll win a few this year I'd say.

Stormers join the Tahs in trying their level best to not look like championship material and doing as good a job as the Tahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Its a shame that the Reds are the only team playing enterprising, exciting, ball in hand rugby.

Unfortunately our sister states insist on playing low-skilled, boring, one out rugby. Unfortunately they are winning so they will continue that play.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Blue said:
formeropenside said:
I think the Reds were dudded by the ref, myself. And they should have won that.

Nah.

Just watched the recording now and after 50 mins the Stormers were cruising in all aspects. They were arrogant enough to think they could cruise home. Reds robbed by the ref? Nah.

Yeah, didn't think the Reds were robbed either.

I thought that the Stormers looked to be cruising from when they got 7 - 5 up actually, but geez they were lucky the Reds didn't manage to finish anything off in that first half. Perhaps the Stormers showed little respect for the Reds, and nearly suffered for it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Credit to the Reds. You really cant say they did this or that but did they same thing now twice in a row. The Stormers turn around came when vokken Bolla enter. He cant clean the ball from 1st phase. Make me de moer in if you know Rassie's third pick is Duvenhage and very talented youngster. We'll take the win and before the game I thought the Cheetahs may beat them next week but not anymore. They show some real guts and spirit there. For the Stormers no one played better then Jean. Something is not right about that losie combo. Vermeulen should stick in 8 and they miss Louws cleanout ability. Altho Puke had a good first half he fulffed two tries. Anyway a exciting game and we'll take that 4 points. The Stormers usually starts slow but there is positive signs. We they actually plays rugby they sure looks imperssive. They'll need to play like this for at least 60 minutes against the Blues.

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
Its a shame that the Reds are the only team playing enterprising, exciting, ball in hand rugby.
Unfortunately our sister states insist on playing low-skilled, boring, one out rugby. Unfortunately they are winning so they will continue that play.

While I do not think this will be a stellar year for the Reds, I firmly believe that if they can keep their heads while all about them are losing theirs and maintain this style of play, develop on it by next season they certainly will be a force to be reckoned.
The biggest mistake the Reds can make no is to change their game plan in order to win.
I don't believe they were ever going to get above about 9th this year so please please keep developing this great style and results will come.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
spectator said:
I think Genia starting and Lucas off the bench works well.

My only problem with that is goal kicking. Stormers kicked 5 from 5, we kicked 2 (or 3) from 5.

This probably needs to weigh fairly strongly in Lucas's favour. Both played well though.
They both did play well but I think Genia's quicker delivery gives Cooper and Barnes better opportunities to ignite the backline, and Lucas' more robust style of play has greater effect with tiring forwards.

Goal kicking was a disappointment but I am sure Quade is better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.