• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Queensland Reds lose Charlie Fetoai for clash with Stormers
From correspondents in Brisbane

February 20, 2009

A shoulder problem for outside centre Charlie Fetoai has forced a backline reshuffle by the Queensland Reds for their Super 14 match with the Stormers in Cape Town.

Coach Phil Mooney said hard running wing Digby Ioane will switch to outside centre, with Brando Va'aulu coming off the bench as Ioane's replacement.

Rookie winger Blair Connor, who played well for the Reds in pre-season trial games, will have a chance to win his first cap off the bench as an outside back replacement.

"Charlie got a knock to his shoulder against the Bulls and he's been out of contact during the week trying to get it right. But he still hasn't got full strength so we made the call to withdraw him this morning," Mooney said.

"We've been training all week with Digby at outside centre and Brando on the wing as a precaution, so we were prepared for it.''

Noddy - Blair Connor will probably get his first S14 cap. This could be...interesting.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmm. Excited for Blair. I guess if Charlie hasn't trained then Brando would have run there. It does worry me though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Stormers 27 Reds 24

A great comeback by the Reds in the 2nd half after looking down and out, and scoring 4 tries to 3.

What might have been, but it was an ordinary effort from them in the first half and allowing a try just after half time, as it was from the Stormers in the last quarter of the game.

Hynes and Barnes are crocked. Cooper and Higginbotham had top games with Cooper MOTM - the best game I saw him play. Houston good too and Braid better this week.

But the Reds still not physical enough at the tackle IMO although they had 59% possession ( and 56% territory).

The Stormers were very uneven and were guilty of trying to play the Reds kind of unstructured game. They faded in the 2nd half and didn't look as fit as the Reds.

R

rugbywhisperer

What the!!!
Great effort by the Reds - totally against my prediction - just shows to go they can do some great stuff when they want to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not sure what to make of all that. Did we have superior fitness? Did the Stormers switch off?

It was good that it was our bench on at the time of the 'comeback'. Good experience for the young guys.

Cooper was great. As was Scotty H. Nice support play. Mac at the back was dangerous, can't kick, but plays the 2nd ball distribtor role that Deans likes.

Ione played 13 and acquitted himself really well.

We had a fair few chances in that first half. Went very close a few times.

Barnes is off is game.

Lacking physicality in the pack so need MMM and kev back ASAP. And need Holmes, Hardman and Braid to play to their proper level. They aren't yet.

Houston was good again. Locks solid. Weekes looks very promising.

Neither Edwards or Tasi used from the bench? Connor was though. One bad mistake but he looked good and, IMO, a better option than Brando.

Once again a pretty soft try after the break was crucial.

Wonder how bad the injuries to Barnes and Hynes are.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Excellent second half fightback, showing great tenacity and spirit, and superior fitness. The period just after halftime is a worry though. Two weeks in a row, they have let in tries during that period. Otherwise the defence has been great.

Agree, Cooper was excellent and Higgers and Houston were strong again. I think Genia starting and Lucas off the bench works well. Braid was a lot better and McLinden goes well in attack. What about the try saving tackles of Connor and Hynes? Outstanding!

For the Stormers Watson looked good and I like the hooker.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
spectator said:
I think Genia starting and Lucas off the bench works well.

My only problem with that is goal kicking. Stormers kicked 5 from 5, we kicked 2 (or 3) from 5.

This probably needs to weigh fairly strongly in Lucas's favour. Both played well though.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haven't seen the game yet but have taped it for this arvo, even though we lost it sounds like a cracker unlike the Waratarts match.
Did see MMM on the news & if he weighed 114kg last season he's got to be about 118kg now.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thought Lucas went a little better than Genia, but I agree with Noddy, that his kicking will be needed. In hindsight Fetoai being ruled out was maybe a good thing.

Good to see Braid make more of an impact, as some other have said.

Lee, I thought the Reds did a little better at the breakdown. You're right that the Reds are still not physical enough and lack presence, but they were a lot better than against the Bulls, but neither did the Stormers attack the ruck like the Bulls did, either. It's really an area that the Reds need to continue to work on.

I am a bit worried about the Reds scrum though. Weekes is better around the park than Edwards, but I think that Edwards is a better scrummager. The Reds really need to work on their scrum, but I don't know if they have the cattle for it at tighthead yet. Actually, the Reds need to work on all set peices - the Reds have struggled there too the last two weeks.

The Reds desperately need to keep Ioane. If he does leave at the end of the year, that will hurt. If Gits does leave the Force, though, I doubt Ioane would go back there? And maybe the Reds could poach Pocock back?

Watson did will for the Stormers and pinched some nice ball. JdV was a little quiet by his standards and dropped a little ball. Their scrambling defence was great and saved plenty of tries. Thought the Stormers were stupid not kicking the ball out on full time, even though they were 10m out. Risking a loss is not worth the bonus point, realy.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
scotty higgers was awesome. not only did he have a hand in all that was good and score a try BUT he also got burger all agitated, which i found hilarious.
sadly he will always miss out on wallaby selection when compared to mmm and mumm because he cant play 2nd row.

quade was good and ben lucas made me forget last weeks performance, i was impressed. not but at all.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Gits does leave the Force, though, I doubt Ioane would go back there? And maybe the Reds could poach Pocock back?

Ioane won't go back west especially now Gits has left as for Pocock I'd love to see him at the Reds but Qld has some good young opensides coming through.

cotty higgers was awesome. not only did he have a hand in all that was good and score a try BUT he also got burger all agitated, which i found hilarious.
sadly he will always miss out on wallaby selection when compared to mmm and mumm because he cant play 2nd row.
That won't matter Rocky Elsom didn't cover 2nd row, probably more reason to earn a starting spot as MMM & Mumm will be better off the bench.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
disco said:
That won't matter Rocky Elsom didn't cover 2nd row, probably more reason to earn a starting spot as MMM & Mumm will be better off the bench.
yes but we already have rocky elsom. he isnt that old either. scotty would have to out him to make the 22.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is a joke.

Apparently he is playing damn well over there.

Still. I don't think we should pick him. He should at least play club before being considered for selection.

That's if he decides to come back of course.

F

formeropenside

I think the Reds were dudded by the ref, myself. And they should have won that.

The scrum was under pressure early but held together (save for somehow losing a tighthead) - and it got better as the game went on.

I probably would have subbed Edwards earlier, and Fainga'a later.

Status
Not open for further replies.