• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Western Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The last game of the season on Newlands. Was there last weekend and thought we had a poor crowd, just to see later there were actually 25,000 Newlands faithfulls like myself. This weekend the last S14 match on Newlands and just thinking about packing the Oxwagon again. Obvious Rassie decided to bring in the new ones and get them ready for the CC season in a few months. The Force still in with a shout and surely will be favourates for this game. Talk around here we may have Bekker, Mujatsi & Bobo back but dont think Rassie will use Bekker. Much more important games ahead and he, Schalk & Jean will be put in cotton wool for the Lions.

Will like to see Gitaeu and kie enjoying themself on our holy ground and looking forward to it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well earn return for Joe Pieterse in the Stormers side. Dunno know why they replaced Chavangha, thought he wasnt that bad against the Chiefs. Maybe BoBo's defense win it for him.

Stormers team to face the Force

15. Joe Pietersen
14. Gcobani Bobo
13. Dylan Des Fountain
12. Peter Grant
11. Sireli Naqelevuki
10. Willem De Waal
9. Dewaldt Duvenage
8. Luke Watson (C)
7 Duane Vermeulen
6. Pieter Louw
5. AJ Venter
4. Hilton Lobberts
3. Brock Harris
2. Tiaan Liebenberg
1. JD Moller

Reserves

16. Schalk Brits
17. Wicus Blaauw
18. Brian Mujati
19. Martin Muller
20. Ricky Januarie
21. Morgan Newman
22. Tonderai Chavhanga

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Western Force: 15 Drew Mitchell, 14 Scott Staniforth, 13 Ryan Cross, 12 James O'Connor, 11 Cameron Shepherd, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Josh Valentine, 8 Tamaiti Horua, 7 David Pocock, 6 Matt Hodgson, 5 Nathan Sharpe (captain), 4 Sam Wykes, 3 Ben Castle, 2 Tai McIsaac, 1 Pek Cowan.
Replacements: 16 Ben Whittaker, 17 AJ Whalley, 18 Tom Hockings, 19 Richard Stanford, 20 Chris O'Young, 21 Josh Tatupu, 22 Haig Sare.

Referee: Marius Jonker (South Africa)
Touch judges: Willie Roos (South Africa), Christie du Preez (South Africa)
TMO: Michael Cupido (South Africa)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Smart weather, Force sure the favourates for this one and will be surprise if the Stormers rip this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Finally the Stormers nails one. Why Rassie havent use the Matie Speedster Joe Pietersen I dunno. Lee's rabbit also had a goodie and two nice tries by Giteau. Thought Duvenhage also had a good service for genl Willem to do his thing.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Finally the Stormers nails one. Why Rassie havent use the Matie Speedster Joe Pietersen I dunno. Lee's rabbit also had a goodie and two nice tries by Giteau. Thought Duvenhage also had a good service for genl Willem to do his thing.

What about the obstruction by Dylan Des Fountain? Don't think the Stormers deserved it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

What about the obstruction by Dylan Des Fountain? Don't think the Stormers deserved it.
Boet you must be joking. How about the line ref calling us back after Lobberts scored a try. Vatiekakie nowhere near a Force player in defensing mode. You lot play catch up rugby through the whole game. The Farce dont deserve to have came that close anyway.

Whats it with you Aus lot. When you lose its always the ref or one off decitions, its getting tiredsome! ??? Mitchell reply after the game is vokken shocking.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

Boet you must be joking. How about the line ref calling us back after Lobberts scored a try. Vatiekakie nowhere near a Force player in defensing mode. You lot play catch up rugby through the whole game. The Farce dont deserve to have came that close anyway.

Whats it with you Aus lot. When you lose its always the ref or one off decitions, its getting tiredsome! ??? Mitchell reply after the game is vokken shocking.
Yeah. We should be like Kiwis and Saffers and NEVER bitch about the ref, Australian conspiracies against everyone and so on... ::)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah the Force was dudded on that last Stormers try and it was just as well their tournament wasn't depending on winning that game. When I saw the Stormers player going through the gap I thought to myself "Just as well they stuffed another try up - with an obstruction this time." Couldn't believe the officials missed that one.

On the other hand they were lucky to keep their players on the park. Can't talk about the Lobberts try disallowal because I fast forwarded my recording to see the decision. It was about an earlier incident by all accounts and I was too lazy to go back.

The Force didn't deserve to win but that would be cold comfort on the plane coming home. The Stormers deserved to win because of their better kick/chase game.

I thought the young fullback replacing Jantjes had a good debut and the Rabbit showed again what a firecracker he is. Mitchell had a good game but geez, he turns over a lot of pill. The Force are going to miss Giteau big time next year. What a player.

Even taking into account injuries that occured to both teams during the season you can see why they were not contenders for the title this year. They weren't worrying too much about structure in this particular game but throughout the season they haven't had aggression up front nor the discipline to get the other pack going back before going wide.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:

Smashed all the mirrors at your place in frustration, did you? :)

Nobody whinges about referees like South Africans ... well ... South Africans and UnZidders.

Ever listen to your very own Naas Botha's whinges about referees? :lmao:

H

hatchie

One thing must be mentioned: the dominant force scrum. Once the laughing stock of Australian sides (let alone the S14), for a good part of this season it has been a relevation.

Our pack smashed the stormers scrum - and we did pretty damn well against the Bulls too.

Marquee Major Quimby has been valuable in tight but a liability in the loose, but the real recognition needs to go to LG's 'best schoolboy prop ever' Rat Pekahou Cowan. Dynamic around the field and now almost 23 his scrumming albilities have improved out of sight. I wonder how much Castle's solid tighthead helped that evolution. His aggressive nature with and without the ball has been very impressive and he is the best scrumhalf-prop I can remember. Ha. Well spotted Lee.

With Fairbrother's inclusion next year, and five years into the Force's existence, we'll finally have an decent scrummaging pack.

We're still searching for a hooker no doubt, but I was pretty impressed with Whitaker's enthusiam last night. What aussie hookers are out of contract locally or overseas at the moment...?

Oh yeah, and flyhalves....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:

Nobody whinges about referees like South Africans ... well ... South Africans and UnZidders.

Well I am talking for myself here. Saw all of it but dont like mention the refs mistakes for wins and losses. Learned to do that only when my team wins. Mistakes from refs sort of have a habit to cancel each other out.

The Sharks also could have a jab at the ref for Stefan Terreblanche standing with his feet on the sideline and they gave the Tahs the lineout from where they scored that winnin try. Also the Brutes when the ball went in the stands and they allowed the quick throw from where the Cheetahs score and I xan go on and on and on.

The Force did not deserve this one and so did the Sharks and justice have been done whne Habana scored that bonus try at the end.

The point is, critizice the ref when your team win, not lose!

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

Oh the irony ..Snor is your national coach and he whinges like no other. Remember the bonus point the Brumbies lost against the Lions due to the reffing of the pedantic Kaplan? He decided, like no other ref i've seen before, to allow the Lions to retake their conversion. I hardly saw any complaints on that matter even though it could cost the Brumbies a semi-final position. You seemed very happy about that particular situation .

Anyway, so you think the last Stormers try was legitimate? :-\

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Smashed all the mirrors at your place in frustration, did you? :) Nobody whinges about referees like South Africans ... well ... South Africans and UnZidders. Ever listen to your very own Naas Botha's whinges about referees? :lmao:
Well I am talking for myself here. Saw all of it but dont like mention the refs mistakes for wins and losses. Learned to do that only when my team wins. Mistakes from refs sort of have a habit to cancel each other out. The Sharks also could have a jab at the ref for Stefan Terreblanche standing with his feet on the sideline and they gave the Tahs the lineout from where they scored that winnin try. Also the Brutes when the ball went in the stands and they allowed the quick throw from where the Cheetahs score and I xan go on and on and on. The Force did not deserve this one and so did the Sharks and justice have been done whne Habana scored that bonus try at the end.

No argument with your final remark there, PB. However, to put things into context, we ALL have the right to give officials a spray when they fuck up. I'm surprised when officials don't seem to know their Laws, such as a touched ball rules out a quick lineout. The Shark foot on the line looked like basic incompetence to me. The many instances the last few years of a moving ball near touch/touch-in-goal/dead ball affecting the next play were discussed at length on TSF and TYS and the incorrect decisions seem to have been reviewed by officials.

It amazes me TJs/ARs get these simple things wrong so many times. I've been running the line at grade, top school and grade again for the last ten years and quite enjoy it; a touchie gets the best view of the game without all the running around a ref does. There are a few things a touchie must concentrate on (the linout for a start), and a handful of others they should manage (5m/10m offside line), but there are others a touchie should actively assist the referee. For instance, all foul play off the ball is the touchie's domain. It's one thing I like about soccer: there're three reasonably equal officials but only one of them has a whistle. The ARs signal fouls and penalties with the whistler accepting his judgement without question (and without lengthy discussion). Rugby could well take a leaf out of soccer's book and empower TJs/ARs to become more involved in "assisting" the referee. But they MUST be completely conversant with the Laws.

The incidents in the Sharks/Tahs and Stormers/Force matches deserve comment. I'm very sensitive to officials' errors which go against visiting teams, especially by a local ref; after all the home side do have home ground advantage. The foot-on-the-line error by a local TJ/AR against the Sharks was 16 minutes from the end, a reasonable amount of time for the Guppies to retaliate with one try. But the controversial Stormers' try was later in the game leaving the Force only eight minutes to score two tries. Bloody tough. The incident was replayed twice from two angles on Foxtel, at normal speed and in slo-mo. It didn't look good. When I referee I dread of making an error in a match which affects the result, this one was in that category.

You were there at Newlands? How did it look live?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was it on the line? I haven't watched any replays, but I thought he was trying to keep the ball in play. There was no reason for Terreblanche to touch the ball otherwise.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Clear as crystal on the shot from the touch-in-goal camera back up the line. It did look as if Terblanche WAS trying to keep the ball in play, or he wasn't aware his foot was on the line. If he had've known his Laws, he could've moved into touch and chucked the ball back in to himself as there were no other players lurking about.

The TJ/AR got it wrong: as Terwhite touched the ball with his foot on the line the Tahs kicker put the ball out and the Sharks should've had a lineout where Terblack stood.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:

Well I am talking for myself here. Saw all of it but dont like mention the refs mistakes for wins and losses. Learned to do that only when my team wins. Mistakes from refs sort of have a habit to cancel each other out.

The Sharks also could have a jab at the ref for Stefan Terreblanche standing with his feet on the sideline and they gave the Tahs the lineout from where they scored that winnin try. Also the Brutes when the ball went in the stands and they allowed the quick throw from where the Cheetahs score and I xan go on and on and on.

The Force did not deserve this one and so did the Sharks and justice have been done whne Habana scored that bonus try at the end.

PB - Are you being serious here??? You went on for at least half a season how the ref/touch judges cost the stormers the game last year when they sent Burger to the sin bin. Dont go claiming the moral high ground when you have been as guilty as anyone in the past of blaming losses on officials.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stuart Dickinson is without doubt the best referee in the world and by a large margin. He has total knowledge of the laws, is very observant of what happens on the field and fast to respond and above all, is scrupulously fair. The problem is that no other referees approach his standards in any of those measures,

Status
Not open for further replies.