• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Western Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Stuart Dickinson is without doubt the best referee in the world and by a large margin. He has total knowledge of the laws, is very observant of what happens on the field and fast to respond and above all, is scrupulously fair. The problem is that no other referees approach his standards in any of those measures,

:lmao:

Windup, surely? Please tell me it is so?

:nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Stuart Dickinson is without doubt the best referee in the world and by a large margin. He has total knowledge of the laws, is very observant of what happens on the field and fast to respond and above all, is scrupulously fair. The problem is that no other referees approach his standards in any of those measures,

:lmao:

Windup, surely? Please tell me it is so?

:nta:
Everyone knows Goddard is, surely?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
So why did he missed the incident when the ball goes into the crowd and the Cheetahs went for a quick line out and scored from that play?

He is human like any other ref. He cost us a bloody test against the Iere in Ierland that is one of the most emberrasment moment for any Springbok supporter.!

To be honest he is shitter then most in my eyes if I put on a Aussie like approach on refs like you lot have on Kaplan.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok said:
He is human like any other ref. He cost us a bloody test against the Iere in Ierland that is one of the most emberrasment moment for any Springbok supporter.!

But PB, I thought you dont blame the ref when you lose.

I agree with you, he did cost you that game, but dont try and claim the moral high ground when 5 posts later you do the exact same thing that you criticise a whole country of doing.

Edit - PB - dont take this as a personal attack, and I dont want you adding this to your list of reasons for leaving this place. Your opinion and insight is greatly appreciated. Just questioning the apparent lack of consistency between what you practice and what you preach.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
But PB, I thought you dont blame the ref when you lose.

I agree with you, he did cost you that game, but dont try and claim the moral high ground when 5 posts later you do the exact same thing that you criticise a whole country of doing.
Well I never did critize him after the test and up and until this day for that one. Its just Biffo that throws out the bait and unfortunetly I took the bait.

Just try to tell he is flesh and blood like all the others and make mistakes.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
How funny was the drop ball by the 13 over the line. Makes Lote look good. Least Lote only had one hand and was doing a side step/flashy dive as he dropped it. Must have felt a right gherkin.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
How funny was the drop ball by the 13 over the line. Makes Lote look good. Least Lote only had one hand and was doing a side step/flashy dive as he dropped it. Must have felt a right gherkin.
Ja he correct his mistake towards the end when he took out the Force 13. Know des Fountain quite well and sure have the goods to become a great 13. Still wet behind the ears tho but he'll be a goody if Rassie keep the faith in him.

Must say I am impressed the way young Dewaldt Duvenhage has growed as a scrummy for the Stormers thus far. He pass like a bullet and the Willem try was quite a beauty. Even show a bit of hard arse with Valentine. The way Joe Pieterse played sure show some good signs for Rassie to play the youngsters towards the end and get them ready for the CC.

Word has it that Brits is on his way to Saracens, explaining why he keep on playing Liebenberg, Mujatsi look like signing for Northampton. He sure had his changes this far but nothing in cast stone and waiting for WeePee to reply. Will be a big loss if Jean sign with Munster tho.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Stuart Dickinson is without doubt the best referee in the world and by a large margin. He has total knowledge of the laws, is very observant of what happens on the field and fast to respond and above all, is scrupulously fair. The problem is that no other referees approach his standards in any of those measures.

No argument from me about Stu's knowledge of the laws, Biffo. If anyone isn't conversant with the laws of Rugby, watch one of Stuie's matches and you'll get a chance to see them adjudicated, every bloody one of them. Dickinson's a ref who knows very well how to implement the Law book of Rugby but he often forgets to give the blokes in front of him a chance to enjoy the game. He rarely chooses to ignore an infringement when it has no affect on advantaging (or disadvantaging as the case may be) the non-offending (offending) side. He is, in a phrase, overly officious. To've missed that touched ball ruling out a quick lineout is a massive failure in Stu's opus. The only argument I can bring in his favour would be his reliance on the TJ/AR seeing it.

I've watched rugby for 45 years now, from junior, schoolboy and grade up to test level and reckon I've got a pretty good feel for the game, as well as being a ref and touchie, and Stu's up there with the best of them for wearing out whistles. He's been to a fair few referees' association meetings I've attended (it's a common practice to get senior referees to as many meetings as possible); I never fail to be astounded at his knowledge of the Laws of Rugby together with his ability to lecture and failure to listen. Watch him next time, even when time's up he'll lecture an enquiring captain rather than have a discourse. The man missed his calling in life: he should've been a judge. Back in the days of hanging.

Andre Watson, Steve Walsh, Peter Marshall and Gus Erickson are/were much better refs than Stu. But the best bloke I ever saw with a whistle was Bob Burnett from Brisbane, never reffed a game that wasn't a joy to watch. Didn't get much wrong, either.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Lind whats your thoughts on Mark Lawrense?

M Lawrence is a very, very good referee, one of the best running around at the moment. He reffed a West Harbour first grade match about six years ago I saw close up (refs used to travel to an os country a week before a test and do a local grade game, not any more). His effect on the game was minimal but what struck me was his effortless ability to get himself into the best position to see what was going on. I was also mightily impressed to note what he lot go: surprisingly a lot, but nothing important. In my judgement his performances since have been equally as good.

I was perplexed to see him not included on the refs' panel for RWC2007.

On another note, David McHugh from Ireland reffed third grade the same day as Lawrence; he was appalling. And couldn't keep up!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think the best thing about him is his communication with the players. Look like they and him enjoying the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
hatchie said:
One thing must be mentioned: the dominant force scrum. Once the laughing stock of Australian sides (let alone the S14), for a good part of this season it has been a relevation.

......I was pretty impressed with Whitaker's enthusiam last night.

.... the real recognition needs to go to LG's 'best schoolboy prop ever' Rat Pekahou Cowan. Dynamic around the field and now almost 23 his scrumming albilities have improved out of sight. .... Well spotted Lee

Oh yeah, and flyhalves....

I was one who denigrated the Force scrum before the season started, and how could I not? When one saw Gareth Hardy starting on a regular basis and good old AJ Whalley from my local Rats club trotting on from the bench and some times starting in games, you knew they weren't going to shift a lot of opponents. But the scrum is looking good now.

However they still aren't aggressive enough in the physical contests when the ball is on the ground.

As you indicate: Whittaker looks like a likely lad. He doesn't take a backward step, does he?

He played for NSW Twos in the schoolboy tournament 3 years ago. I can't remember his play to be honest - (nor that of another frontrower in the team, THP Daniel Palmer) but they both made the Oz Schools A team and both are playing in the S14 now.

Then out of the blue I read in the local paper, the Manly Daily, that the Force had picked up Whittaker, who lives in the area, for their Academy.

19 y.o.Whittaker will not be seasoned enough to be the no. 1 hooker next year though. If they can't find an established hooker from somewhere, Hardy would not be the worst as a stop gap. He played there for Sydney Uni for quite a spell when Digby Beaumont was injured a few years back and wasn't the worst thrower to lineout.

Luke Holmes has not set the world on fire; so send him back to Sydney - we could use him back at the Rats.

As for another Rat poached by the Force - "PK" Cowan - as I know him - yeah he was the best schoolboy prop that I ever saw and have mentioned it, but I also added the proviso that one shouldn't get too excited about him as a senior player until we knew what size he would get to be and how good his scrummaging technique became.

I always mention that about schoolboy forwards unless it's somebody like a David Pocock, and in the case of props you have to realise that you can't judge their scrummaging because of the schoolboy scrum laws that they play under in Oz.

He seems to be big enough now at 116kgs; so he must have been eating a few pork chops over there because I thought he was 105kgs a couple of years ago. He hasn't lost his schoolboy dash, ball playing skills and hard defence. I always thought that he should have cross trained as a hooker, but now it looks like he is going to make it as a LH prop.

As for flyhalves: they have to get a recognised guy from somewhere and give Scott Daruda a better shake from the bench next year. With the Rabbit available to sub for Giteau the Force haven't been using Daruda in matchday 22s this season.

He's over here playing 12 for Eastwood in the Sydney comp and will not be a happy camper.

On referees

The standard in the S14 this year has been crap and mostly because 4 Kiwi refs are missing from last year - Honiss, Bray, Deaker and Walsh - or has one of them been out for 2 years now?

In my eyes the best S14 refs are Lawrence and Joubert - but I like the new guy from NZ - Munroe.

PS

Leave PaarlBok alone.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer said:
Andre Watson, Steve Walsh, Peter Marshall and Gus Erickson were much better refs than Stu.

Fixed ... and surely you joke re Walsh.

Roger Vanderfield was a better refereee than any of the names here.

Status
Not open for further replies.