1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

Discussion in 'Subbies Rugby' started by Pfitzy, Nov 27, 2020.

1. HeavyB Alfred Walker (16)

haha good to see nothings changed on this forum.

Let the hate flow through you Pfitzy.
  2. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

I may have overegged that particular pudding somewhat :cool:
  3. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Tomorrow is the big day: Renegades Rugby hosting Dukes, Covies, Mosman, Hornsby, Hunters Hill, and Briars on Indianna Challenge Trophy Day 2021. Full day of men's XVs and women's 7s starting 11:30AM and going through until 5PM.

[IMG]
  4. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Ozzie Bob likes this.
  5. NeckThing Frank Row (1)

Any news from trials yesterday?
  6. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Renegades had their charity day yesterda as per my post above. HOT day for it. I got my bald head burned despite copious sunscreen application.

We had our Womens 7s there along with Hornsby, Briars, and Hunters Hill. Some good competition to fill in between men's games, but it was getting a bit loose as the day wore on and the girls were feeling the lack of breaks for conversions.

Renegades' Third Grade - mostly old blokes like me and the guys not ready for 2s - got a bit of a touch up from Mosman's Halligan Cup squad who had about 30 blokes along due to their Canberra trip being cancelled. Was 7 tries to 2 (no goal kicks for the trial).

Renegades Second Grade were a mostly new outfit and took on Lane Cove who will have one grade this year. Some really good play from individuals, with some of our league converts/part timers still finding their feet. Covies were fairly slick but will be better for the hit out. Was a draw at three tries each (no kicks for the trial).

Renegades First Grade took on Alexandria Dukes for the Indianna Challenge Trophy. Man it was a tight game - some good quality play from both teams. Renegades won 15-12 (three tries to 2tries 1con), to win the trophy back for the first time in a couple of years.

On track to raise more money than we did last year for Neuroblastoma Australia, so that is the big win for the day, really.

After playing the first 20 minutes of third Grade, reffing the subsequent 40 minutes of Third Grade, followed by reffing 2 women's 7s games and running the line for most of Second Grade, I got a migraine and heat stroke. Silly boy didn't take enough fluids or food.
    Univex and Rugby Ref like this.
  7. Old mate 11 Frank Row (1)

Just saw on Fusesport that western raptors have been promoted to div 3. Will be interesting to see how they go for such a new seniors club
  8. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

I know from being their near neighbours that they're trying to do everything right. Could be a massive good news story for Rugby in Western Sydney.
  9. Ozzie Bob Ted Thorn (20)

A few things of interest so far:

* Redfield listed in Div 4
    * No sign of Sydney Irish, are they running around in 2021?
    * Kings Old Boys listed in a full time comp not sure if you would call it Div 5 or 6

I certainly hope Raptors make a go of Div 3. It is amazing to see the make up of Div 3 change so much in recent seasons. A lot of the clubs are now based outside of the North and East of Sydney which is great
    Pfitzy likes this.
  10. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

And only 2 Grades at that. Going to be very interesting to see just how much they're consolidation plan takes shape, as I would have through they could have managed 3 teams.

One Grade this year as the travel restrictions bite: https://www.rugby.net.au/page/Jeffrey-Cup-x-706-132-597.html

I personally would call Jeffrey Cup "Div 5" as it appears to be the stronger of the 2 - and that is the cup traditionally for Div 5 First Grade. It has the finalists from 2020 - barring Brothers and those who moved up a division - as follows:

McLean - Dukes, Irish (both coming down)
    Jeffrey - Burraneer, Sea Lice
    Meldrum - Balmain
    Non-finalists: Merrylands, Forces, Menai - who are back this year, being half Engadine's old roster apparently.

KOBs are in "Div 6" as the Meldrum Cup, a 6 club competition as there aren't enough to make 8, so think they'll play 3 Rounds in that case. Brothers are also there because of travel concerns, after a fairly good 2020.

Keeping "regional" structures may create problems if teams are then able to grow, and lose half their players who don't want to travel. Certainly when you look at the maps, there are some big Divisions, and little divisions, by land area:

lowerdivs.png

higherdivs.png
  11. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Most divisions hit in around that 400sqkm mark, with Div 4 and Div 6 the outliers.

Of course if Blue Mountains weren't in Division 1, and someone like Hunters Hill filled that gap, it would be nearly as small as Div 6! :)
  12. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Subbies Womens 7s tomorrow. Should be good fun and hopefully is a vehicle to help more clubs get women's teams and then take it on to Tens.

A lot of the competitions outside Sydney have Womens Tens and I reckon it is the perfect vehicle for smaller clubs to get a range of body shapes and skill levels playing in a competitive environment.
  13. Footyhead#2 Chris McKivat (8)

How many teams entered in the Womens 7s?

Divs 3, 5 & 6 kick off tomorrow. Any goss or tips?
  14. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Got 8 registered - Lindfield, Briars, Mac Uni, Newport, Hunters Hill, Barker, UNSW, Renegades. Hosted at Boronia Park.
  15. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Div 3: Keen to see how Raptors go against Iggies. I expect a contrast in styles and it'll test the depth of the new boys. Could be the start of something beautiful for rugby in Western Sydney tho.

Div 5 aka Jeffrey Cup: Dukes v Irish should be a cracker after both teams dropped from Div 4.

Div 6 aka Meldrum Cup: Lane Cove v Chatswood if only for the fact it is the last time Covies will play in front of the existing stand at Tantallon. The new facility won't have quite the same look.
  16. Heavyd Cyril Towers (30)

Wow, I might have to watch some Clutch action.

Does anyone have visibility of Div 2 and how many clubs are able to field a 4th grade?
  17. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

Looks like everyone except Old Barker.
  18. Ozzie Bob Ted Thorn (20)

Has the Valley/HAC clash been postponed due to recent flooding?
  19. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

I'd suggest that's the case. Deerubbin is not that far above water level and their canteen got wiped out - won't need to water for a while :( Looks like McQuade was not available.
  20. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)