• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe we could have a gagr meet and greet happening on the day. Get a round table with the heads of Subbies and lock in some new changes for the following year…

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9057.gif

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe we could have a gagr meet and greet happening on the day. Get a round table with the heads of Subbies and lock in some new changes for the following year…

Are you registered and paid up at your club?
Are you on the committee of your club?
After you interested in applying for the board?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Are you registered and paid up at your club?
Are you on the committee of your club?
After you interested in applying for the board?
I’ve given it thought, but already someone from my club on the board.
Plus, I think the whole structure of Subbies, including the composition of the Board, needs a rethink and to be more in line with the 21st century nature of the Subbies rugby landscape

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I’ve given it thought, but already someone from my club on the board.
Plus, I think the whole structure of Subbies, including the composition of the Board, needs a rethink and to be more in line with the 21st century nature of the Subbies rugby landscape
Whats a 21st century composition look like?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll let you all in on a secret: the guys signing up to the board? They're volunteers like pretty much everyone in Subbies.

They're trying to make the best decisions for the game. Go look at the list of office bearers on the website, and think about if you've ever met or spoken with any of them.

I'd say many of the loudest complaints here come from people who aren't even involved in running the game at their club. Such people don't tend to put in much effort at anything

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll let you all in on a secret: the guys signing up to the board? They're volunteers like pretty much everyone in Subbies.

They're trying to make the best decisions for the game. Go look at the list of office bearers on the website, and think about if you've ever met or spoken with any of them.

I'd say many of the loudest complaints here come from people who aren't even involved in running the game at their club. Such people don't tend to put in much effort at anything
Well said

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I'm also keen to hear this.

Maybe Woodywoodsman has some ideas?
Sorry, it should have read Post-COVID composition of the Board.
I've said it many times in here that I think the Subbies board is not reflective of Western Sydney and we have a chance to make up huge ground here.
Maybe Woody has some ideas - I know he has traded off some of mine before, and I feel like the ideals are similar.
I'd like to see more transparency in the board meeting - these minutes should be freely available.

I understand that everyone on the Board is a volunteer. You'd know, probably better than most, my involvement with the game, both at Subbies and Junior rugby levels.
I feel like the Board think that they are making the best decisions for the game, however, I think there is alot of "what's best for my club" in it. And to be honest, I don't know how saying 8x8x8 divisions for Divisions 1-3 is the best decision for the game, nor telling clubs that 'colts is the only future for the game' or the next thing coming 'you must have a women's team'.
Let's look at my club, Epping, as an example - traditionally a mid to strong Division 2 club. We have four grade teams, no colts, no womens. Where do we stand in Subbies land? We get told - you have to have colts or you can't play in the top three divisions. WE can't find any? Oh well, too bad, you have to...... Solution this year worked, thanks to Luke and his team at Hunters Hill. Is it viable? Short term - maybe.... Long term - no.
We played in Division 4 in 2022 with our top two grades there, and then no home for our lower two grades - really the guys we need to keep the lifeblood of the club pumping. We played lower grades in Division 2 to keep that competition going...... And it very nearly ruined us.

My point is that, while Division 1 works, I don't think it does below that. I think the Subbies board need to really open their eyes to this and be willing to listen to other ideas.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Now that NSW Rugby have centralized as part of RA, maybe our tokenistic payments made to NSW Rugby will be removed and our fees to players reduced

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
The biggest feedback from people at Briars, Hawkesbury and Hills this year we faced was around the gap that exists between the middle grades. Colts should be first or last match of the day. There are reasons for it being in the middle, but there are far more to play it at a closed time slot.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
The biggest feedback from people at Briars, Hawkesbury and Hills this year we faced was around the gap that exists between the middle grades. Colts should be first or last match of the day. There are reasons for it being in the middle, but there are far more to play it at a closed time slot.
This has been an issue since the introduction of Colts at the 12:45 timeslot.
When we first started colts, it was at 10:45am, making it easier for the grade back ups. I'd like to see us consider the colts timeslot.

Never Was Been

Bob McCowan (2)
This has been an issue since the introduction of Colts at the 12:45 timeslot.
When we first started colts, it was at 10:45am, making it easier for the grade back ups. I'd like to see us consider the colts timeslot.
What if colts was completely separate - all clubs with colts competed in the same competition irrelevant of what division the club was in. There would probably be 18 teams or something so there would be no home and away rounds you just play each other once, maybe on a Friday night allowing those who usually back up for 1s and 2s to still do so

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mate, I’ve been a proponent on Friday night footy in general.

I know the infrastructure isn’t there for some but I think it would be a great way to give back time to players in the club but keep the game played. People don’t want the same commitment of what can end up being an entire Saturday. Especially the ones with kids.

Friday games with some beers after which many do anyway could be a cool concept that gives everyone the next 2 days off. Kids sport, Partner time, go away and work still on the table.

I believe it’s done for the lower grades 5th, 6th in Brisbane Club Rugby.

More fantasy than probably practical but I think Rugby needs come up with ways to engage it’s crowd.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
What if colts was completely separate - all clubs with colts competed in the same competition irrelevant of what division the club was in. There would probably be 18 teams or something so there would be no home and away rounds you just play each other once, maybe on a Friday night allowing those who usually back up for 1s and 2s to still do so
Fully agree Friday nights should be an option, especially during Finals etc where do to the extra time added you could be kicking off at 9am. Also giving clubs more time on a Saturday to be doing other things than Rugby might see more of a buy in.

However we do need to be careful not to to overload the already over worked volunteers. Guys are out 2 nights a week with training and then Saturdays as well. Adding in a Friday night May see a drop off of people who are able to do it.

I know everyone will say just get more people to help out but it’s not always that simple.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
True, but besides the weeknights they already give up a lot give up their Saturdays when friends and family are probably off.

Guys aren’t playing as long and it’s for a number of reasons but if Rugby can try and fit around you and not you make life fit around Rugby I think it’s a good move. Clubs with a lot of tradies will get it. Saturday is a full workday for a lot of them now. Also that other unspeakable occupation of Real Estate.

I know it would be a travel and timing issue for some fixtures but that’s another conversation.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
If we have a 5th grade game that’s kicking off at around 9.45am with players arriving at 9am, then 1st grade finishing at 5pm. That’s a long time for either a club official or player to hang around all day. Whether they have family, kids or other priorities is a whole other topic in itself.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Let's look at my club, Epping, as an example - traditionally a mid to strong Division 2 club. We have four grade teams, no colts, no womens. Where do we stand in Subbies land? We get told - you have to have colts or you can't play in the top three divisions. WE can't find any? Oh well, too bad, you have to...... Solution this year worked, thanks to Luke and his team at Hunters Hill. Is it viable? Short term - maybe.... Long term - no.

Long term, probably unsustainable.

Looking at the facts:
- Epping have had Colts in the past
- I know from speaking to various members of Epping's Committee, it has become harder to recruit and maintain due to a range of factors. Even pre-COVID it was a struggle to get a team on the park week-to-week.
- I have spoken to Hunters Hill and others about the increasing challenges of recruiting Colts. Retention also an issue.
- Out of the other clubs in Div 2, nobody has had as visible an issue fielding Colts. Only forfeit this year was Valley @ Lindfield.