• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Cost of living must be hurting in Newport. By they the pirates up there ( I mean tradies) charge, I can see why they go overseas!

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Decent read regarding Penrith Emu's future.

I have no idea why they didnt shift to Subbies straight away. I can only imagine how dispiriting it must have been to get on to that bus every second week knowing you're about to have your rear end handed to you.

I wish them every success in Subbies and hopefully they can now build upon one or two positive seasons to get numbers back where they should be.

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have no idea why they didnt shift to Subbies straight away. I can only imagine how dispiriting it must have been to get on to that bus every second week knowing you're about to have your rear end handed to you.

I wish them every success in Subbies and hopefully they can now build uon one or two positive seasons to get numbers back where they should be.

Would the Emus arrival dilute the Mountain men at all? From my drunken bus trip memories Lapstone is only 5 minutes up the hill from Penrith?

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Would the Emus arrival dilute the Mountain men at all? From my drunken bus trip memories Lapstone is only 5 minutes up the hill from Penrith?
Possibly - but from what the article above states, the fully amateur nature of subbies may have a greater impact than it's location to other clubs.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
I did see a few players in that Emus team that were familiar names from Subbies. Not sure if they stay without getting paid or go back to the previous clubs who are a bit more successful. I still believe they would do some damage in Div 2 or below.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Certainly not the narrative we were all led to believe hey? I always thought it was a travel logistics thing?
No the Lions were very open about it. To be clear I have no issues at all with players being paid. Though like a lot of suburban rugby league - once the cash dries up the club is in trouble.
In my view not a great way to build a club but if you want to build a club in working class areas it could be a good way for people to supplement their income. I mean $250 bucks gets a family through the weekend sometimes.

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Club emblem for Lane Cove Old Ignatians Rugby Football Club.
20231201_182829.jpg