• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sydney Harbour - Going undefeated last year in div 4 has to leave the Oysters at odds on favourites here. They'll suffer some losses this year and only the one grade can leave them in a tough spot as they lose players to injury and travel throughout the year. In saying that, I'd be surprised if they weren't in the big dance.

They travel well and have depth. Got run close in appalling conditions by Epping last year but otherwise untroubled in general except when their forwards get put under pressure by big boppers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I hope that in the future div 3 colts doesn't become premier clubs sending extra sides for half the comp.

It would be great if Premier Clubs would stop recruiting once they get to their quota of teams as well and help rugby out.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sticking with Div 3 wild predictions.

My Top 4s come final time.

Clark Cup
1. Sydney Harbour
2. Manly Savers
3. Beecroft
4. Knox

Farrant Cup
1. Sydney Harlequins
2. Beecroft
3. Manly Savers
4. Sydney Harbour

Nicholson Cup
1. Beecroft
2. Easts
3. Knox
4. Manly

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sticking with Div 3 wild predictions.

My Top 4s come final time.

Clark Cup
1. Sydney Harbour
2. Manly Savers
3. Beecroft
4. Knox

Farrant Cup
1. Sydney Harlequins
2. Beecroft
3. Manly Savers
4. Sydney Harbour

Nicholson Cup
1. Beecroft
2. Easts
3. Knox
4. Manly
Completely dependent on numbers but a roughie in the Nicholson has to be Iggies. If they can pull in a couple of players they can make finals.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Would be a damn shame if Beasties v Marlins was the final, but these are the circumstances in which we find ourselves....
That would be a shame, but i cant see it happening. If Knox can build off colts success last year, they will be strong.
Beecroft colts seem to have been pretty competitive the last couple seasons.
I think there will be some good competition.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone have an idea of where Georges River have been born out of? Good to see a new club get up and running but sad if it’s at the demise of another in the area (ie Menai, Oatley etc.)

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Div 3 is going to be an interesting ride.

Well done to Subbies for accommodating the changing landscape around how people use their free time. Saw an article yesterday how Surf Clubs and Charities are struggling for volunteers at the moment.

Would love to see some clubs rebuild and head up to Div 2 next year. Shame to see Divisions loosing grades but great to see subbies adapt and hopefully 2023 is a successful year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shame to see Divisions loosing grades but great to see subbies adapt and hopefully 2023 is a successful year.

It is but hopefully things stabilise to the point where clubs can get back to a maximum of 3 Grades + Colts.

I think any more than that is difficult to manage, particularly as you're already starting the day at 11AM effectively.

Longer term it would not surprise me if we lose 5 minutes per half from some grades in order to compress the day further, and/or accommodate womens rugby of a Saturday.

The days of 9AM starts might be going the way of the dodo, judging by the level of apathy out there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
hopefully things stabilise to the point where clubs can get back to a maximum of 3 Grades + Colts.

Thinking on this further, with Colts playing after Thirds, you're really bringing a club into four areas:

1st Grade
Creme de la creme

2nd Grade
Ready reserves for 1st Grade.
A squad (not just a XV) of guys, who are a mix of First Grade benchies and those guys who are great for 2s, and won't necessarily advance.
With Colts playing prior, it is unlikely to be Third Grade guys coming into this squad on a regular basis, and you'll have an extended bench of 2nd Grade players as a result.

Colts
The future for First Grade, hopefully.

Thirds
What I tend to see at a club with Colts playing after 3s: this is a mix of the social players, Old Boys, leftover Colts, and guys coming back from injury. Colts playing at 12:45 can create a bit of a gap for these players, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anything beyond this is more social players and Old Boys. So maybe 4th Grade becomes O35s by default at a certain point. Even then, a 10:45AM start is hard for Dads who want to watch kids at morning sport etc.

It is a problem I'd love to have :)

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Thinking on this further, with Colts playing after Thirds, you're really bringing a club into four areas:

1st Grade
Creme de la creme

2nd Grade
Ready reserves for 1st Grade.
A squad (not just a XV) of guys, who are a mix of First Grade benchies and those guys who are great for 2s, and won't necessarily advance.
With Colts playing prior, it is unlikely to be Third Grade guys coming into this squad on a regular basis, and you'll have an extended bench of 2nd Grade players as a result.

Colts
The future for First Grade, hopefully.

Thirds
What I tend to see at a club with Colts playing after 3s: this is a mix of the social players, Old Boys, leftover Colts, and guys coming back from injury. Colts playing at 12:45 can create a bit of a gap for these players, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anything beyond this is more social players and Old Boys. So maybe 4th Grade becomes O35s by default at a certain point. Even then, a 10:45AM start is hard for Dads who want to watch kids at morning sport etc.

It is a problem I'd love to have :)
Coming from dealing with this setup for a long time, there is no perfect setup, but more flexibility in game time should be considered.

Colts can sub for 2nd grade in some positions, depending on the standard of your colts (remembering colts is cyclical and every now and then you end up with a stack of 17/18 year olds). Unless they are really good, subbing colt front rowers into higher grade games is a real stretch and its a bit decision for a coach to determine that a guy is up to it.

The problem with the gap for 3s is those guys sit down, have a beer, stiffen up, then they are asked to run on in a game at a higher intensity than the one they just finished. Also for a 3rd grader, hanging around till 2pm to backing up for the game immediately after is very different to hanging around till at least 3:15pm. We'd all love guys to turn up at 11 for their game and stay all day, but thats less and less of the way these days, particularly for guys with families.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The problem with the gap for 3s is those guys sit down, have a beer, stiffen up, then they are asked to run on in a game at a higher intensity than the one they just finished. Also for a 3rd grader, hanging around till 2pm to backing up for the game immediately after is very different to hanging around till at least 3:15pm. We'd all love guys to turn up at 11 for their game and stay all day, but thats less and less of the way these days, particularly for guys with families.

I've heard this from a few guys who played Third Div or above - you potentially end up with a split, and a large Third Grade and Second Grade squad. Again, not a bad problem to have, but some guys aren't going to feel part of The Club.

Hard to please everyone.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone have an idea of where Georges River have been born out of? Good to see a new club get up and running but sad if it’s at the demise of another in the area (ie Menai, Oatley etc.)
Pure guess work but from some of the posts I’ve seen it looks like it’s a split away from Oatley. The post from them on the Subbies page says George’s River is an Initiative of the Oatley old boys playing out of HV Evatt. Whilst “Oatley” look to be playing out of a different venue which suggest a split

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I've heard this from a few guys who played Third Div or above - you potentially end up with a split, and a large Third Grade and Second Grade squad. Again, not a bad problem to have, but some guys aren't going to feel part of The Club.

Hard to please everyone.
I have never played a season or noticed another club with a large third or second grade squad if your in a 3 grade + colts comp.

Every week third grade is full of people who cant turn up to training, and casual players (cant play every week) and then a few very social players, or clubmen. That makes up about 12 players. The last 3 are colts and second graders who have shown up early or volunteers who came to help set up and have been thrown the boots.

Second grade will always have a good starting 15 show up. Then the bench is colts, plus any 3rd grader who isnt injured.

I think cutting a grade off each div was the best decision, taking a little bit of pressure each week to get teams on the paddock, esspecially towards the pointy end.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pure guess work but from some of the posts I’ve seen it looks like it’s a split away from Oatley. The post from them on the Subbies page says George’s River is an Initiative of the Oatley old boys playing out of HV Evatt. Whilst “Oatley” look to be playing out of a different venue which suggest a split
Is Junior Paulo an Oatley Old Boy? I wouldnt want to play him