• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Agreed - still trying to think of a metric that they've failed so badly at that they need to be dropped to Div 2.

Seriously- can anyone think of one?
Grasping at straws here, I think Div 1 should be bigger than 8 teams with Pats staying, but:

Finished last in first grade and 3rd grade.
Finished second last in 4th grade.
Only played 2 games of 5th grade
Never won Div 2, came up during the Covid mess.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
A bit late to the party but I have just come across the fairly pointed statement on St Pat's socials. I have no doubt the statement would have caught the attention of the Subbies Board and NSW Rugby. Are there are any avenues for appeal? Is the appeals process more transparent than the current debacle?

Assuming that the information on here is accurate (big if) what's the story with Petersham and where do they fit in all this. They did come last so not really comparable to St Pat's situation.

SubbiesSoftie

Frank Row (1)
Grasping at straws here, I think Div 1 should be bigger than 8 teams with Pats staying, but:

Finished last in first grade and 3rd grade.
Finished second last in 4th grade.
Only played 2 games of 5th grade
Never won Div 2, came up during the Covid mess.
I think this is a great point but unfortunately only speaks to the further failures of the Subbies decision makers. Pats were forced into div 1 at a time that they were still rebuilding into a div 1 quality club. They did not reach the criteria for promotion but were thrown in there because subbies needed a solid club with good numbers to assist in the stability of 1st Division. Its ironic that Pats didn't fill the criteria for promotion back then and don't fill the criteria for demotion now. They seem to have been used to keep Subbies and other clubs happy but their use has run out.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think 8 teams is a good number for the top 3 divisions. It sucks subbies doesnt really work in the way where the St Pats and Lindfield teams could have a play off to see whos actually div 1 quality.

I think St Pats and Petersham being dropped will raise the quality of Div 2, due to their stability in numbers. Pats didn't have that great of a season except for their colts. If pats end up slapping around the comp in Div 2 they should be re-promoted.

I can understand the thinking behind subbies decision.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
I think 8 teams is a good number for the top 3 divisions. It sucks subbies doesnt really work in the way where the St Pats and Lindfield teams could have a play off to see whos actually div 1 quality.

I think St Pats and Petersham being dropped will raise the quality of Div 2, due to their stability in numbers. Pats didn't have that great of a season except for their colts. If pats end up slapping around the comp in Div 2 they should be re-promoted.

I can understand the thinking behind subbies decision.
I can see your logic but can you also understand St Pat's frustration though? Neither Mosman or Forest had a great year.

St Pat's said they didn't have the best year in the statement but I think their issue is they haven't been told why they have been handpicked. Hard to say they haven't been treated differently to other clubs.

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
Where’s Pfitzy gone? Has his keyboard had a malfunction now that he’s been held accountable? Has subbies organised a debrief and explanation with st pats this week?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I recently spoke to a Forest player who said they wouldn't have minded coming down but club officialdom dont want to. I do highlight & acknowledge that was the view of one player so I am not suggesting it was widespread through their player ranks.

Looking for some positives for St Pats, a lot of close away games with Briars, Petersham, Epping and UNSW then a big boozy bus trip to Porters!

P.S Playing finals footy across multiple grades isn't the worst thing that can happen to a club.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Waiting on an explanation
Screenshot_20231031-213848.png

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
This is a debacle. Ive never been the biggest fan of St Pats only due to the banter/advice given to me at Hudson. Very strong club, Great Culture and a great Div 1 club..
This is a massive loss for Div 1 and Kentwell. Hopefully subbies review and change their mind.

In my opinion, Div 1 will be better with 10 teams.

Div 2 will still be strong and the Divisions below will also survive. Cant make an 8x8x8 competition, when there are only 18 clubs suitable.

18 clubs - 10- 8. Simple maths really.

Feel sorry for Div 2 1st grade clubs who were getting done by 40 by Lindfield. It will be 60+ by St Pats.
How are hunters hill looking EastCoast? Ready for 3 in a row?

Attachments

• IMG_4708.jpeg
    IMG_4708.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 48

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Bit early for me to make a call. Hopefully we go one better, although seems like it will be a cut throat competition next year. No Team is safe apparently.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Firstly agree St Pats totally shafted by subbies.

St Pats 2023
1st grade: 9th
2nd grade: 5th
Colts 1st: but didn't make the GF
3rds: 9th
4th: 8th

On behalf of 2nd Division: Challenge accepted, we welcome the increased competition which will make us all lift our game.
Unfortunately your boys won’t be in Div 2 next year Heavy D. I hear you’ve had to show cause as to why you’ll stay in Div 2 and based off the teams you could field this year you will probably in Div 4 next year.
I mean you only finished 4th on the club championship, Colts premiership and 2nd in 1s so your the prime club to be dropped next year following the St Pats demotion.
I’m sure they’ll welcome the competition in Div 4…

Northies

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortunately your boys won’t be in Div 2 next year Heavy D. I hear you’ve had to show cause as to why you’ll stay in Div 2 and based off the teams you could field this year you will probably in Div 4 next year.
I mean you only finished 4th on the club championship, Colts premiership and 2nd in 1s so your the prime club to be dropped next year following the St Pats demotion.
I’m sure they’ll welcome the competition in Div 4…
Keep Briars and Valley though....

SubbiesSoftie

Frank Row (1)
In a slight change of topic, how are clubs looking in relation to club/head coaches? I've noticed quite a few are yet to announce or confirm their roster.