• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Suggestions for the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This should apply to all forums.

Also, can we lay out some guidelines for succinctness/conciseness?

O

Overseer

Can't do that or it will mean the end of Lee and we can't have that.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What did you hve in mind?

You're the moderator!

How about... encouraging use of dot points, examples of good posts?

Are we doing G&GR Awards again? Most Succinct Poster 2010, I can see it right now...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yes, G&GR Awards in September. Don't think that Most Succinct Post is viable. Succinctness is a virtue without doubt, but I'm not really sure that it's something I need to be in charge of.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

IMO, to the first point above, if you let the 'adult' fora use abusive and vicious language (in relation to anybody, team, player, whatever) and yet state that such should not apply for the 'junior' fora, you're asking the impossible of the latter. The lowest common denominator will seep over and outwards. That's how it always works, like it or not.

I copped some reverse heat yesterday, but I really admire what GAGR has tried to do for the sport and I am convinced that if you don't adopt and reasonably enforce the overall standards you note above, you will find that many of the 'adult' fora decline to be little more than the sandpits of 20-30 consistent hardcore posters that don't mind - in fact actively like - spitting it out rough. A lot of people don't enjoy communicating that way, and the notion that 'oh, this is a rugby forum, so cop that sweet mate' is not good enough with the overall, long-term interests of the game in mind.

You do such a really good job here on thin resources - why not aim to have 900 people logged into the 'adult' fora, not the typical 30-50 I see most days. I mean, 40,000 + go to Test matches. I would like to see more people by far start their (rugby) day with GAGR than Rugbyheaven, and btw I think you could achieve that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I think he's talking about me ;-)))...to be fair, it's a good point as long as some latitude is permitted for posts that attempt to be a bit reflective about broader issues in the game, or where there really are multiple dimensions to consider in arriving at some understanding of a bigger picture that might be relevant.

Succinct is great - Scarf is the master of powerful combinations of brevity and meaning, I admire him for it. But succinct can have the price of not looking deeper into an issue, or flushing out all the factors that sit behind it. It's great for 'fast hit' selection debates and such like, not so good perhaps if someone wants to reflect on what great coaching is all about, for example.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wasn't just referring to you, RH. But give succinctifying your posts a shot, because they are very insightful but they get weighed down by length.

Not sure what you meant in your first post, I just thought these rules should apply to all the forums.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wasn't just referring to you, RH. But give succinctifying your posts a shot, because they are very insightful but they get weighed down by length.

Not sure what you meant in your first post, I just thought these rules should apply to all the forums.

In my first post above, I was just essentially agreeing with you re 'apply to all', but adding some thoughts of my own as to why...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, I appreciate the thoughts here, but don't think that we're not trying. We've been growing steadily for 34 months. I'm not sure we want to be the SMH, or even Keo. Have you read their comments threads? Our standards are the same as we'd like to see for rugby: grow the game, but don't sell your values short.

The main forum has rules, too. The thread this started in merely indicates some special needs of the Schools discussion.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
True, I've done a bunch of them, which ones are still outstanding?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
revised super 14 logo (though i suppose thats going soon)
revised western force logo
revised rebels 9though ive heard theyre revealing their proper one at the end of the month)
crusaders
revised italy
revised usa
CAS sydney still isnt up
revised shute shield
guiness premiership (but thats changing to aviva premiership)
thats probs it

oh revised bulls
revised stormers
maybe a couple of others

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
How about we fix it first?

Lately I have been getting "server is too busy" errors. A mark of our everlasting popularity and greatness? In fact I saw 44 people browsing the grassroots board! anything we can do to fix it?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've heard a few people talking about these server busy errors, but haven't seen one myself as yet. Can someone post a screenshot if it happens again?
I think I might have fixed it anyway, but yes, the schoolboys forum is very busy - look at the number of views on some of their threads..

C

chief

My suggestion chuck Google Ads on the board. Would add more money to the site to keep it running. Load it on in the Grassroots section!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've heard a few people talking about these server busy errors, but haven't seen one myself as yet. Can someone post a screenshot if it happens again?
I think I might have fixed it anyway, but yes, the schoolboys forum is very busy - look at the number of views on some of their threads..

Moses,
Here's one from 8:35pm my time (2:35am Sydney). Clicked on the Rugby Twitter thread. Usually can get out by just clicking on the header to go back to the main forum.
Cheers.

Attachments

• server-busy.png
    server-busy.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 216

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Moses - interesting that I haven't had one either. Although Reg has, so it's not a moderator thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.