• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super "B" Rugby; Australia's likely 3rd Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I think the Universities concept (tied in with TAFE) would serve that purpose. Kids in the Toyota Cup don't get a great deal of cash as a part of their contract. Thanks to my connection to my old school (St Greg's) I'm fairly aware on what's being offered. It's more the opportunity to train and play in a highly professional environment and access to educational prospects.The Universities comp could achieve the same thing.

I thought the Universities Comp idea had merit - but was pretty average... Compared to this one though, it looks like an equivalent to the concept of 'Gravity'.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the idea of the rules variation, at least to the extent that we will start breeding young players who are programmed to play an adventurous attack style of rugby rather having young guys coming in from club rugby and taking a conservative approach.

It's nice in theory.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
well again - not to be argumentative, but the goal is very definitely also to build a 3rd Tier Competition which would significantly increase the ARU cut of the SANZAR TV deal - and to create an income stream which supports Elite Rugby in Australia - the ARU has NO choice but to find a new revenue stream.

The Boys at FOX did not come down in the last shower - and they know that competitions are only sustainable, if they have a following - 'made-up teams' like the ARC struggle under that criteria. the other major goal is to increase participation, and through that, Player Depth and Player Quality.

The ARU will eventually do what it likes - but this proposal to me is unsustainable, as it will find no purchase with the Public.

Sort of why I suggested using the cities in which they are based as their names instead of Tahs A etc. Make it Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. They aren't artificial as they represent traditional rep squads. Add in a Western Sydney and you're 3/4 of the way back to an ARC. In its second year the Reds can set up another. Look to bring in the PI's from there. That would be a worthwhile competition.

Using the current club system won't work either. The ship has sailed in that regards. If they wanted to make something of it they should have 30 years ago.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am not trying to pick an argument - and I have no doubt that your explanation of the 50-minute duration is correct - but it does nothing to hide the fact that the whole idea starts from a position of 'compromise'. It is a faulty idea to begin with - and what does it insinuate - that people who come to a Super Rugby 'B' Fixture will turn-up for a 50-minute game, but not an 80? That is a bit of a stretch. I simply expect a higher quality of initiative from the national body running the game.

It simply is NOT what the Public is asking for. The asset is in Premier Rugby and Shute Shield - that is the basis on which ANY 3rd tier should be built. All efforts should be towards making trhese competitions a more intense level of rugby - and having a 3rd conference to grow teams outside the Sydney and Brisbane areas.
You continue to ignore Braveheart81 point as to why it has to be 50 minutes if its to take place at the same found as the s15 fixture it mirrors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
You continue to ignore Braveheart81 point as to why it has to be 50 minutes if its to take place at the same found as the s15 fixture it mirrors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not ignoring it - in fact I think I actually stated previously that this was a very credible explanation of the reason ( I will readily admit that I do not know the details of their rental agreeements at the grounds) - what I said was given that being the reason for the 50 minute format, it is a flawed basis on which to start a new competition crucial to the health of Australian Rugby, and what begins from a position of compromise, is unlikely to be successful.

And I stick to that standpoint.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
What we need is a professional u20s comp, this is by far the most essential thing to keep talent in our game. Why? Well if you're talented 18 year old playing rugby, what option do you have next year, only the best pick up professional contracts out of school. The NRL can offer you a professional contract in the NYC straight away, that's much more enticing than playing colts for nothing for the next 2 years. Same problem in NZ as mentioned. We lose way too many to league because there's no pro contracts out of school for rugby players.

I like this idea.

Set the limit to $40k per season though.

What i'd like to see set up as our 3rd tier is pretty simple.

Scrap this national academy shit, and put the money from that split evenly between all 5 teams to set up their own academy. Everyone's done it already anyway.

So, we have 5 academy sides who train with their respective squads. Then, after Super rugby finishes, you select a 22 of the best from each cities club comp, and form a 10 team comp to play after club/Super rugby finishes. An academy, and Club XV from each city going at it would be fantastic.

Set the whole thing very cheaply, IE play it on club grounds so you have no stadium fees. There would be enough of a crowd at each game to play the match day stuff, and i'd wager a good chunk of the travel expenses as well.

Out of this, we get: academy sides, plus club players/Super rugby players who haven't made the Wallabies, playing in a semi-professional comp that is a step up from club rugby. Club players get their chance, Academy sides get continued gametime, and fringe Wallabies are not stuck playing club rugby in Sydney.

Everyone wins, and the whole thing would be very cheap to run, with set up times very limited. The whole thing could be up and running by next year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like this idea.

Set the limit to $40k per season though.

What i'd like to see set up as our 3rd tier is pretty simple.

Scrap this national academy shit, and put the money from that split evenly between all 5 teams to set up their own academy. Everyone's done it already anyway.

So, we have 5 academy sides who train with their respective squads. Then, after Super rugby finishes, you select a 22 of the best from each cities club comp, and form a 10 team comp to play after club/Super rugby finishes. An academy, and Club XV from each city going at it would be fantastic.

Set the whole thing very cheaply, IE play it on club grounds so you have no stadium fees. There would be enough of a crowd at each game to play the match day stuff, and i'd wager a good chunk of the travel expenses as well.

Out of this, we get: academy sides, plus club players/Super rugby players who haven't made the Wallabies, playing in a semi-professional comp that is a step up from club rugby. Club players get their chance, Academy sides get continued gametime, and fringe Wallabies are not stuck playing club rugby in Sydney.

Everyone wins, and the whole thing would be very cheap to run, with set up times very limited. The whole thing could be up and running by next year.

I actually agree with you entirely. It may not be plausible initially for the likes of Melbourne or Perth to run two teams (hopefully I'm wrong) but, yeah, definitely workable. And for those who say it wouldn't be, I've been throwing this around lately, but Ice Hockey has a truly national league. So if a major minority sport like Ice Hockey can do it (they even have it broadcast on Fox Sports) even Rugby in its current state could work something out.

As I've previously stated, with the use of Academy and local club players you remove the accommodation costs associated with the ARC, using club grounds cuts hire costs further and by making it an aspirational competition the need to pay players shouldn't be an issue. Travel will still need to be covered but the accommodation for travelling teams can be reduced by working off a fly in/fly out regime where teams fly in the morning of the game and back out afterward. It's not ideal for sore bodies but a necessary evil at the beginning.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm a massive union fan but a dumb. Fan I love my brumbies given Canberra boy who lo.ved watching larkham ( can you blame me) but what I don't wanna watch is a b side call them Canberra heros and the brumbies add to them an identity we can see cos brumbies b are shit Canberra heroes are wonderful

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a massive union fan but a dumb. Fan I love my brumbies given Canberra boy who lo.ved watching larkham ( can you blame me) but what I don't wanna watch is a b side call them Canberra heros and the brumbies add to them an identity we can see cos brumbies b are shit Canberra heroes are wonderful

Que?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can you put all that in layman's terms for those who can't comprehend what you're conveying?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can you put all that in layman's terms for those who can't comprehend what you're conveying?

Well at least putting it words that resemble the English language would be useful to start. :)

He's saying instead of calling them Brumbies 'A' or the Brumby Runners, they should just call them Canberra.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
iLcJ31tzqSI0u.JPG

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really think this is stupid, changing the rules ruins the dynamics of rugby. Is this going to be good for prop development? If there's no penalties, shorter sin bins and the time is shorter that definitely means a lower emphasis on having a good scrum.
I agree Gwerty, is actually having what looks like a hybrid game going to do much to help the game in Australia?? think it great to have academy side etc playing, but what game will they play??

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree with you on that one, i think it's bloody criminal that Jon O'neil walked away with 2.5 million bonus for exactly F____G what

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I find it funny that so many are screaming bloody murder on this.

This is obviously a band aid third tier solution for the short term and people need to take into account the ARUs current financial situation.

If you asked me early last year that John O'neil would resign and the new CEO would have some form of new comp up and running within a year, I would have fallen over laughing.

But it's happening.

It's not perfect, but things are being done to improve things.

And i'm pretty happy about that........

Status
Not open for further replies.