• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super rugby 2016, the run home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies likely to get in as Aust conference winners, short of a massive trio of upsets against the Force + Reds at home, and Blues away.

Tahs will have to somehow recapture Friday night's attacking form after the break, but put in some better defensive efforts. They've got a tougher last three weeks but if they beat the Moondogs, Canes, and Blues, they'll make everyone very nervous in the finals.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
version 1.3

If Super Rugby was a horse race surely it'd be a staying one with the interminably long distances travelled for the 2016 iteration. We're now at the furlong post of a two mile race, think of a Melbourne Cup field as it passes the clock tower: those with a chance are well-positioned and full of running while some have been found out and are trailing behind making up the numbers. One horse, the Lions, has grabbed a length on the field and can't be beaten for a podium spot. The four Kiwi challengers, Chief/Saders/Canes/Clan, are bunched up much too close together and run the risk of a horse going backwards after copping a bump. The two Oz entries, Brumbies/Tahs, are strangely racing right next to each other with the attendant risk of a bump putting one of them off its stride. The Saffers? Apart from the Lions the Stormers entry's full of running while the Bulls and Sharks are plugging away for a minor podium spot.

All teams have now played 13 games and the byes are done. Everyone has two matches left.

Lions (47 points/won 10/456 for/294 against/135 pd) Kings/Jaguares
Chiefs (46/10/426/311/115) Reds/Clan
Crusaders (45 /10/392/256/136) Rebels/Canes
Hurricanes (44/9/395/287/108) Tahs/Saders
Highlanders (43/9/363/250/113) Jaguares/Chiefs
Stormers (41/7+1d/366/247/119) Force/Kings
Brumbies (39/9/386/276/110) Blues/Force
Waratahs (39/8/368/255/113) Canes/Blues
Sharks (35/7+1/294/230/64) Cheetahs/Sunwolves
Bulls (32/7+1/306/319/13) Sunwolves/Cheetahs
Blues (30/6+1/300/337/37) Brumbies/Tahs
Rebels (27/6/308/373/65) Saders/Reds
Cheetahs (21/4/350/356/6) Sharks/Bulls
Jaguares (18/3/334/371/37) Clan/Lions
Reds (16/3+1/257/377/120) Chiefs/Rebels
Force (13/2/247/395/148) Stormers/Brumbies
Kings (9/2/237/575/338) Lions/Stormers
Sunwolves (9/1+1/261/537/276) Bulls/Sharks

Comments:
  • Four Kiwi (Chiefs/Saders/Canes/Clan), two Oz (Brumbies/Tahs) and three Saffer sides(Stormers/Sharks/Bulls) are vying for seven finals spots. It's mathematically possible any one of those nine teams could miss out.
  • Lions - some good recent wins see them the first team with a guaranteed finals spot, more wins will allow them to play all their finals matches at Ellis Park.
  • Chiefs - the Blues are out of the way, the four Kiwi contenders play each other once. Play last two matches away from home.
  • Crusaders - play last two matches at home, priceless at this stage of a long season.
  • Hurricanes - play two very tough matches away from home. Odds are one of the Canes/Clan will just miss out.
  • Highlanders - hellish travel schedule to finish their rounds (NZ>SAf>Arg>NZ) topped off by two quality opponents.
  • Stormers - should top Africa 1 with two matches left against cellar dwellers.
  • Brumbies - tricky game in Auckland, are the Ponies good enough?
  • Waratahs - where was this form earlier? Keep it up and the Canes and Blues are yours.
  • Sharks - in a battle with the Bulls for the third Saffer spot, and they play the same opponents. Points on the board are priceless.
  • Bulls - see Sharks above. Crap points differential makes it very difficult to feature in the finals.
  • Blues - Blues bros, do me a favour and bash yerselves up while beating the Brumbies. Thanks. ;)
  • Rebels - rotten, rotten run of injuries has cruelled the Rebels promising season. The last two matches look painful.
  • Cheetahs, Jaguares, Reds, Force, Kings and Sunwolves - the cellar dwellers have nine matches left against the finals hopefuls (not Lions), I could easily see them losing the lot.
away matches in italics red points differentials are minus colloquial tags, Canes/Clan/Saders/Tahs, used for the sake of brevity

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think the format needs one major tweak next season, 4 conference winners and than the highest 4 runners up. If the Tahs win this week they will be 8th on the table but miss out to the Sharks who finish 9th as SA conferences have to have 3 teams make finals.

Think the whole format needs to be canned but I know that ain't going to happen. Have no idea how you can assume a 7/8 home and away season could work in the first place.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the format needs one major tweak next season, 4 conference winners and than the highest 4 runners up. If the Tahs win this week they will be 8th on the table but miss out to the Sharks who finish 9th as SA conferences have to have 3 teams make finals.

Think the whole format needs to be canned but I know that ain't going to happen. Have no idea how you can assume a 7/8 home and away season could work in the first place.

Not a good solution, if I understand it, based on this year's results KO. SA have two groups and winner + runner up would provide them 4 teams in the semis. Admittedly Aus would then get 2, but NZ with 4, possibly 5, of the top teams would only get two in the finals series.

Of course, if you mean the final four spots go to the highest placed teams on the total log after the four group winners, then I agree it would be an improvement on what we have now.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Not a good solution, if I understand it, based on this year's results KO. SA have two groups and winner + runner up would provide them 4 teams in the semis. Admittedly Aus would then get 2, but NZ with 4, possibly 5, of the top teams would only get two in the finals series.

Of course, if you mean the final four spots go to the highest placed teams on the total log after the four group winners, then I agree it would be an improvement on what we have now.
Point 2 is what I meant

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^not sure the three NZ sides who will have won more matches than the Stormers and the Brumbies/Waratahs will agree with that assessment. That is, if your comment is in response to KO's suggestion to revise the qualification for the finals.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It would be pretty funny if the Aus conference winner who played mediocre rugby all season turns up in the finals and wins the thing.

That would piss a lot of people off. Mainly New Zealanders. I can't wait...

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
It would be pretty funny if the Aus conference winner who played mediocre rugby all season turns up in the finals and wins the thing.

That would piss a lot of people off. Mainly New Zealanders. I can't wait.
Nah bro, we can always look at our trophey and cup cabinet, its plenty full, and we are a sharing kind people

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Having 4 conferences is a joke - just to solve internal political issues in South Africa. (Not rugby politics either, but politics)

If we are to have 18 teams then 3 conferences of 6 would make more sense. Japan to the Aust conference and Jagures to NZ conference. Top team from each conference, then the next 3 or 4 or 5 teams on the ladder to qualify.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At the end of the day you have to win your matches.

I think that might be our issue, right there.

Just like Manly in SS this year, our super teams are struggling because they aren't playing well enough. On last week's form, the Waratahs would have a faint hope of winning a finals match, but none of the others. And I don't believe that the Waratahs or any other Aussie team have a hope in hell of winning the thing this year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having 4 conferences is a joke..... If we are to have 18 teams then 3 conferences of 6 would make more sense. Japan to the Aust conference and Jaguares to NZ conference.

CAN YOU STOP STEALING MY IDEAS, QH! :mad: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/s18-on-its-way.13275/page-31

Mind you, if great minds like yours and mine independently come to the conclusion 3 conferences of 6 is the way to go how could the powers-that-be possibly consider implementing anything else. ;)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Lions (52 points/won 11/513 for/315 against/198 pd) Jaguares
Chiefs (51/11/476/316/160) Clan
Crusaders (50/11/477/2282/195) Canes
Stormers (46/9+1d/388/250/138) Kings
Hurricanes (44/10/423/304/119) Saders
Highlanders (43/9/363/250/113) Chiefs
Brumbies (39/9/401/316/85) Force
Waratahs (39/8/385/285/102) Blues
Sharks (39/8+1/320/240/80) Sunwolves
Bulls (37/8+1/356/322/34) Cheetahs
Blues (35/7+1/300/337/12) Tahs
Rebels (27/6/334/462/128) Reds
Cheetahs (21/4/350/356/22) Bulls
Jaguares (18/3/342/405/37) Lions
Reds (16/3+1/262/427/165) Rebels
Force (13/2/250/417/167) Brumbies
Kings (9/2/258/632/374) Stormers
Sunwolves (9/1+1/264/587/323) Sharks

Comments:
  • Thank god the end of the season is here, longest boring season of Super Rugby.
  • Looks like the Sharks could finish 9th and still scrape through to Finals
Current QF
Lions v Sharks
Chiefs v Highlanders
Stormers v Hurricanes
Brumbies v Crusaders

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Looks like there might be some movement on this as early as 2017 with only the Group winners guaranteed a home QF &'the other two awarded on merit:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11673966

If that system were in use this year, based on current standings the QF would be:

Lions v Sharks
Chiefs v Brumbies (instead of Chiefs v Hurricanes)
Crusaders v Stormers (instead of Stormers v Highlanders)
Highlanders v Hurricanes (instead of Brumbies v Crusaders)

SANZAAR don't have much room for changing things between broadcast deals (unless of course the broadcasters sign off on them) so this is probably the best we can expect until 2020.

@KevinO: Clan & 'canes each have 48 points, Clan are +139 & 'canes +119 so it's Tribe v 'canes & Stormers v Clan in QF's.

http://www.superxv.com/table/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Comments:
  • Thank god the end of the season is here, longest boring season of Super Rugby.
  • Looks like the Sharks could finish 9th and still scrape through to Finals
Current QF

Lions v Sharks
Chiefs v Highlanders
Stormers v Hurricanes
Brumbies v Crusaders

A tedious season in many ways, but some positives; the form and style of the NZ teams (even the Blues), made for some great rugby. The Sunwolves and the Jaguares were both shown to be good moves for the future.

Sadly the form of the Aussie teams has been lamentable and the political nonsense in South Africa which gave us this format has been a disaster.

If we must have an 18th team, it shouldn't be from South Africa. An islands team playing in western Sydney and/or Auckland would make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.