• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 1 - Reds v Hurricanes

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hearing Lynagh set to start. Creighton must be bench and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) still injured.
interesting move. Looks like he could use a bit longer to physically develop but he definitely seems to have good skills to manage an attack. Maybe Liam Wright will be his Tony Carroll.

Edit : I think I like it. Just a bit nervous for the kid.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
interesting move. Looks like he could use a bit longer to physically develop but he definitely seems to have good skills to manage an attack. Maybe Liam Wright will be his Tony Carroll.

Edit : I think I like it. Just a bit nervous for the kid.
19 to 20 year old seems to be the average age for the current fold of 10’s debuting in Super Rugby. QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) were 18 from memory. Lynagh physically looks less ready but the game plan may well compensate for his defensive inconsistencies. Some players do well thrown into the deep end. It may well be the making of him. Against the Highlanders is questionable. Good luck to him.

Reactions: TSR

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Depends on whether you believe in the saying "If you're good enough, you're old enough". The Reds have been pretty good in recent years in terms of youth development and ensuring they're not thrown in the deep-end too quickly i.e. Thor and Gordon's development has shown they're willing to invest and give the youngsters time to develop at QPR/from the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I believe the adage ‘if you’re good enough, you’re old enough’ is fine - but my question is whether he is good enough. He definitely has the tools in attack, from my limited viewing, but being good enough includes being physically ready and I’m not confident of that. Quite possibly I’m plain wrong.

Gordon is an interesting comparison. As far as I understand Thorn tried to hold him back to give develop, but being behind O’Connor was one of the things that pushed him elsewhere. I wonder if this past experience still influences Thorns decision making.

Happy to trust the Reds coaches. Kid looks the goods. Maddocks recent comments about being pushed too quickly keep coming to mind though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From Opta

REd v HUR.JPG

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees - the battlers to go down in their first home game of the year it would seem. Canes by 15+

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What are Reds fans opinions on Isaac Henry? Is he going to be bench this year starting when inevitable injuries strike?
Is Paisami/Flook better than Henry/Paisami?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What are Reds fans opinions on Isaac Henry? Is he going to be bench this year starting when inevitable injuries strike?
With Campbell injured I'd definitely prefer Henry/Paisami so we can use flook in the back 3. Henry also might be the best place kicker in the squad, so there's a lot of value in him starting.

Overall I think Henry has more chance of starting in the centres then Flook, but Flook might have slightly more chance of starting anywhere in the team.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He is rated highly by Reds staff, if it weren’t for his injury in pre-season last year the word is he was pencilled in for the starting 12 position

I think Henry would be a good 10-12 combo with Lynagh. Flook can also play wing.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Phenomenal player. My pick would be Henry at 12, Paisami at 13 and Flook on the wing at 11. Although as you said we'll inevitably have injuries but I feel like Henry will get a lot of game-time this year.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Phenomenal player. My pick would be Henry at 12, Paisami at 13 and Flook on the wing at 11. Although as you said we'll inevitably have injuries but I feel like Henry will get a lot of game-time this year.
Yep 12 Henry 13 Paisami and Flook on wing this week. Henry will be busy in defence if Lynagh hangs back waiting for a kicking game. Flook will need to come in off the line for assistance. McDermott and Henry need to get on the front foot early. Highlanders are fast off the foot not giving time for defensive error.