1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 6 Rebels v Brumbies, 7.05pm Leichhardt Oval, Friday 7th August

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Dctarget, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

How was Uelese's throwing?
  2. dru Steve Williams (59)

In think we probably need to see more before this sort of claim. Toomua and JOC would still be the form 10s I think. Deegan did look fabulous, good enough to surely get the eye of the Reds.

Thought Lomani was decisive too.

The Brumbies did have an off night pretty much across the board. Wonder if something didn't go right in terms of management, too heavy in training too late or some such?
  3. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

I think having Toomua at 12 being the second playmaker. I really believe having that 2nd playmaker makes so much difference to young 10s.
  4. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

I bang on about this a bit. Toomua is an average 10 but a great 12.
    The_Brown_Hornet and Dan54 like this.
  5. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

Isi Naisarani ran 66m last night which is exactly the same run metres as... the entire Brumbies forward pack combined.
  6. KevinO John Thornett (49)

Better than the Brumbies.

Also how wide were the Rebels pods in the first half, 2 or 3 times wider than usual to spread the Brumbies
  7. dru Steve Williams (59)

I see it a little different. Toomua is a great 10 if you are after an hard hitting defending 10 who can also run a game.

He is possibly international class "second fly" which is not a style of 12 Australia has been interested in for some time. It makes him a great choice outside of a developing 10. JOC is surprisingly similar.

In terms of the Wallabies it entirely depends on the style of game that Rennie wishes to play.
  8. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

I really think we are splitting hairs as JOC and To’omua both showed have to be front runner for either 10 OR 12 positions for wallabies and can alternate to see what is best combination. At this point JOC would be 10 and To’omua but switching them around whether starting the game or mid game not a concern as both shown capable of playing in either position to a high standard. Nice problem to have with both players in good form.
  9. Number 7 Jimmy Flynn (14)

Couldn’t agree more. Brumbies have become robotic in their tactics and over-reliant on the maul. I get that it is a strength but a midfield scrum with and all wallabies front row seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s a shame because they have 2/3 most exciting wing prospects on their team in Muirhead, Wright and Kata. Why you wouldn’t use a big blind side to unleash one of those guys is beyond me.
    Bobby Sands and Dan54 like this.
  10. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

10 JOC and 12 Toomua seems most likely to me.
    The_Brown_Hornet likes this.
  11. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

I hearing rumours they won't have Muirhead after this season.
  12. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

Muirhead would be probably pushing for a place where guaranteed starting wing position and in fairness probably warranted as he is super rugby quality - but assume would chase overseas dollars.
  13. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

The Brumbies attack has gone backwards the past couple of weeks, but it seems you’re basing their entire season on the one game against the Reds last week...
    Uh huh, mst and Brumby Runner like this.
  14. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

Credit where also due for Rebels on this performance given been having to play away from home for sometime - likewise the force who have also been steady improvers in the competition.

Sacrifice Rebels and force players made to make this competition what has been to date commendable
  15. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

And could the Rebels have waited a couple of weeks before they brought back Naisarani, or at least played like they did against the Force...
    Rebels3 likes this.
  16. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

There were a few passages of play by the Brumbies prior to the Koroibete try in the first half where I thought they were about to take control the match, but they just kept shooting themselves in the foot and then I buried my head into a Four Pillars martini...

I’m glad we have the bye next week.

I wonder when Lolesio and Neville are back?

Kuenzle always seems to be stationery when he receives the ball.
    mst and dru like this.
  17. Rebels3 Ken Catchpole (46)

I believe he was fit the week before (Tahs game) but they decided to give him an extra week just to make sure.
  18. KevinO John Thornett (49)

He was fit, but came back over weight and unfit. Had to work his way back into the squad
  19. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

Really? Why did the DT report he had a hamstring injury that would likely see him miss the whole season
  20. Rebels3 Ken Catchpole (46)

DT been the DT. The only guy that’s genuinely unavailable all season for injury is Rangi. Cottrell will join the squad after quarantine for the next two weeks