• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Force v Reds

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought Sula-Siaosi started at THP? And Zander LHP? hard to tell from the highlights but that’s what Jim Tucker suggested earlier this week
The match report from Tucker has that updated:
The Reds blooded their new signings with former Melbourne Rebel Luke Jones starting at lock and Fijian Test prop Peni Ravai anchoring the scrum.

Ravai grabbed one turnover to show his versatility away from the scrum.

Given there was never a starting XV officially published I guess it was all pretty changeable up until kick off.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force taught Super Rugby lessons by Reds
Nick Taylor (ex Rugby Journo for The West Australian) - AAP - Sun, 5 February 2023

Western Force coach Simon Cron admits there's plenty to fix in his new-look Super Rugby Pacific side after they suffered a pummelling from the Queensland Reds.
The Force went into Saturday's trial in Perth with high hopes, only to see them dashed 45-10 by the Reds.
Cron was quick to identify areas that need to be fixed before his side's next trial against Fijian Drua on February 16.
"We didn't get past one or two phases. We'd get stripped, drop it, or try to throw a miracle pass," Cron said.
"As a team we've got to learn what it looks like to build pressure.
"To build pressure you've got to make them tackle you and to make them tackle you, you've got to hold the ball.
"We had a tendency to not look after the ball and throw it away. Patience is critical and we lacked that.
"We go back and look at the critical few things. Why we didn't build pressure through phase play and why we were slow in our transition defence."

Reds coach Brad Thorn was happy with the result, having seen his side outscore the Force six tries to two.
But he wasn't getting carried away.
"We got a hit out," a circumspect Thorn said.
"You don't get too excited around trial games. It's a trial game. Guys are coming off and on.
"We're working on our game."
Thorn did throw out a veiled crack at the Waratahs ahead of their pre-season clash on Saturday.
"They are the team everyone's talking about in Australian rugby," he said.
"They've got a lot of, I guess, strength.
"They've brought new players in. They are going to be a good challenge for us."

Reds captain Fraser McReight backed No.8 Harry Wilson for a return to the Wallabies under new coach Eddie Jones after a strong performance and two tries in oppressive heat at the UWA Sports Ground.
Wilson was dropped by former Wallabies coach Dave Rennie for the European tour at the end of last year, but McReight said: "He's just ready to put his hand up.
"He's had a really good pre-season trying to work his way back into the fold.
"He knows the best way to do that is by playing his part out here.
"You saw the carry he does. He's got the heart of a lion. Pretty glad he's in our side."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Western Force taught Super Rugby lessons by Reds
Nick Taylor (ex Rugby Journo for The West Australian) - AAP - Sun, 5 February 2023

Reds coach Brad Thorn was happy with the result, having seen his side outscore the Force six tries to two.
But he wasn't getting carried away.
"We got a hit out," a circumspect Thorn said.
"You don't get too excited around trial games. It's a trial game. Guys are coming off and on.
"We're working on our game."
Thorn did throw out a veiled crack at the Waratahs ahead of their pre-season clash on Saturday.
"They are the team everyone's talking about in Australian rugby," he said.
"They've got a lot of, I guess, strength.
"They've brought new players in. They are going to be a good challenge for us."

did he? Where?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
did he? Where?
I've always found search engines to be useful.
Nick Taylor is now working freelance with AAP.
Nick was at the ground on Saturday but obviously articles on trial matches aren't of global interest.
Nick's article got some coverage in the West, PerthNow, Canberra, South Coast and a headline in the UK.
The match info as presented here was as provided by one of Nick's mates on the TWF site.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-06 070022.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-06 070022.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Reg was talking about Thorn taking a "veiled crack at the Waratahs".

The quotes after that phrase didn't really resemble any sort of veiled crack.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Reg was talking about Thorn taking a "veiled crack at the Waratahs".

The quotes after that phrase didn't really resemble any sort of veiled crack.
Too obtuse for me. I'm just a simple engineer trying to keep people informed.
I simply assumed that Nick Taylor must have had a reason to make that comment and that there was more said than what was quoted.

Last edited: