• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Force v Reds

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
27712512-33BA-4332-B337-624A7C533438.jpeg

8905E23C-53BF-40E9-A27F-D60C3117BC2B.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The 30-man squad features 10 players who are yet to play at Super Rugby level, while new recruits and former Internationals Peni Ravai and Luke Jones will play in the maroon jersey for the first time.

After impressing during the pre-season, Wests Hospital Cup winners Connor Anderson, Ethan Dobbins and Ben Navosailagi earn their shot for the Reds, with Phransis Sula-Siaosi, Wilson Blyth and Floyd Aubrey also new faces in the squad

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great to see Dobbins is fit and getting a shot, I had thought he might have been out longer with the injury he picked up in the challenger series.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No Vunivalu…more injury issues or been held back?

I’ve been wondering who Navosailagi is in the squad to cover?

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
George Poolman, has he filled out yet, potentially to be the biggest back in Australian rugby at 6’4”
Some big players in the backline with Spink and Mataele, Hamish is a direct player also.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
if a 12-year-old kid can stream himself playing minecraft to 12,000 followers on twitch, then surely RugbyWA can stream a professional rugby union match
Assume they don't want to give opponents footage for analysis?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see Alex Davies in the Reds squad. A very good player I reckon.

What’s with that force team? Heaps of injuries? And they’re having an internal trial after the game? With who??

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

What’s with that force team? Heaps of injuries? And they’re having an internal trial after the game? With who??
With the forecast heat I don't see this as a good idea unless they have 50 players kitted up.

They'll be at 50% until Wed/Thurs which is lost training time IMO.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Since the end of Super Rugby Au 2022, the WF has been training with an extended squad which as included the best of local talent, current and possible 2023 Academy players, an extended playing group plus the announced 40 person squad.

Prior to the Christmas/New Year break the WF had, by my count about 15 players recovering from 2022 injuries, post-season repairs and general rehabilitation. The latter group has been significantly reduced but still includes long termers such as Reesjan Pasitoa (knee during Club game post Super Rugby 2022) and Henry Robertson (knee in trial game in Japan post Super Rugby 2022).

The pre-season squad had generally been maintained at 50 players (equally split between forwards and backs) + those under rehab/recovery regimes.

The internal 30 minute "trial" will be a full contact training session for this wider squad who missed out on the usual full contact session session on a Friday. I would think that Friday was a rest day before today's pre-season trial against the Reds. It's been hot in the West this past week and is likely to still be around 36 deg C when the WF v Reds game starts.

The 4th 30 minute internal trial I wouldn't expect to include many of the named starters who are likely to be changed out during the 3rd 30 minute session. But there's plenty of squad left to take over and step on once the Reds squad have played out the 3 x 30 minute sessions.

The afternoon has been promoted as a meet the players fan day so there's a chance for the Sea of Blue to see all fit players giving their best before a reduced squad head East to play the Fiji Drua.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any Force fans want to stream the game through a Zoom Meeting for us? Fill in where RugbyWA have havent?

Last edited: