• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Waratahs v Reds

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Set to be relatively full strength sides running out, with only wallabies on required rest left out - for the tahs that's Michael Hooper, Jed Holloway, Angus Bell and Dave Porecki.

No idea who it'll be for the Reds, maybe just McDermott, given who played last week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Set to be relatively full strength sides running out, with only wallabies on required rest left out - for the tahs that's Michael Hooper, Jed Holloway, Angus Bell and Dave Porecki.

No idea who it'll be for the Reds, maybe just McDermott, given who played last week.

Tate and Petaia? After that nothing really.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Tate and Petaia? After that nothing really.
Petaia played last trial though, I'm not sure the exact rules but you'd assume he would've been held from that trial too if he had enforced rest. Campbell and Vunivalu were the other wallabies missing, neither seem like they'd cop the rest though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Petaia played last trial though, I'm not sure the exact rules but you'd assume he would've been held from that trial too if he had enforced rest. Campbell and Vunivalu were the other wallabies missing, neither seem like they'd cop the rest though.

Not so sure. I would not take any suggestion of Vunivlu having to step down as anything other than trouble making. Jock too. These guys were mostly "rested" by the Wallabies during the international season. Right now they need footie.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not so sure. I would not take any suggestion of Vunivlu having to step down as anything other than trouble making. Jock too. These guys were mostly "rested" by the Wallabies during the international season. Right now they need footie.
To be clear I wasn't suggesting they would or should be on the list for a rest, only that they were the only other wallabies not used in that trial. I fully expect they'll be available for this one (unless injured). That said, Vunivalu might not be in our strongest XV.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No - it isn’t. Very disappointing. If he can’t get his hamstrings right coming off the off season break it doesn’t sound good for the season.

Terrible shame.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Last I'll say on the topic, but it's crazy that Reds/Tahs are able to organise Stan coverage (as well as broadcast it themselves) yet it was overlooked / put in the too hard basket by the Force last week.
maybe it was a $$$$$ issue. Twiggy might be feeling the pinch of interest rate rises and inflation --

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
No - it isn’t. Very disappointing. If he can’t get his hamstrings right coming off the off season break it doesn’t sound good for the season.

Terrible shame.
What did the Melbourne storm do to manage this issue with him compared to what the Reds have been doing?
Might be worth a call and have the S&C outfits compare notes.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
What did the Melbourne storm do to manage this issue with him compared to what the Reds have been doing?
Might be worth a call and have the S&C outfits compare notes.
It's possible that he just wasn't susceptible to hamstring injuries prior to his first at the Reds

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's possible that he just wasn't susceptible to hamstring injuries prior to his first at the Reds

He missed the Storm's final game of the season in 2019 with a hamstring injury (prelim final) and then had several stints out injured in 2020 (missed 8 games altogether). At least one of those injuries was a hamstring injury.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He missed the Storm's final game of the season in 2019 with a hamstring injury (prelim final) and then had several stints out injured in 2020 (missed 8 games altogether). At least one of those injuries was a hamstring injury.
Fair enough - I recall most of his injuries at the storm being unrelated (broken jaw, dislocated shoulder), but happy to stand corrected.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair enough - I recall most of his injuries at the storm being unrelated (broken jaw, dislocated shoulder), but happy to stand corrected.

It is quite possible that it is just the two I highlighted above. In hindsight though it seems that those two hamstring injuries in his last two NRL seasons were a glimpse of what was to come.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Hindsight is 20-20.

Did anyone expect that someone who had suffered from 2 mild hamstring injuries in the last two years would then be plagued by them on an ongoing basis?
melbourne let him go for a reason - just wondering if they knew something