• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1 2020: Crusaders v Waratahs

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, that was probably no worse than I expected. The Saders are just so much better at taking advantage of half chances, whereas the Tahs defence just fell apart against fast, broken field play. The lineout was good, scrum less so, plenty of turn-overs which was a positive, and from time to time we looked a genuine attacking threat, which is what I was hoping to see. We were rarely able to capitalise on it, but that will come. Probably the most disappointing facet I thought was the tackling, way too many misses.

In part but overall I thought Simmo had a poor night calling the line out.

Most of the young guys showed a bit, but also showed their inexperience. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is a real attacking threat, but has to fix his defence, Will Harrison showed enough I thought, although his lack of experience was also obvious. Jake Gordon is a very dangerous runner, but Short throws a better pass. Robbie Able was a great buy, Faulkner not so, it was his side where the scrum started to falter. I would probably prefer to see Talakai there if HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is unavailable. I like Swinton's involvement and aggression, but he's got hands like feet.

Bit of criticism of Beale here, I though he was just about the most dangerous attacking player on the field, and he kicked well (as does Harrison by the way). He may have made a couple of mistakes, but a lot of that results from a lack of support. When you have a player like Beale on the paddock, if he runs the ball you just need to bust you gut to get on his shoulder!

Anyway, just my random thoughts.

I liked Abel and Robertson. Hooper not at his best, which means of course that he still played well. Jake a touch mixed but mostly good. Thoughtful introduction of Harrison - looks good at 10 I think. Hunt and Foketi mostly good.

Adventurous gameplay you have to put down to Penny, but it is going to need better defence to go with it.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well if taches and mullets are the sign of a winning team, Cantabs well ahead. Just played good solid rugby.

Can Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) actually tackle? at one point missed about 4 in a row an absolute disgrace.

Cannot fathom Gordon criticism him and Hunt were the standout backs, tried their arses off behind a ponderous tahs pack. What about the Gillespie/Waugh moment with Whooper/Newsome after Beale missed a sitter. Dear me. Tizzano looks the goods though. Harrison went ok. Can't do much with shit pill - see above.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In part but overall I thought Simmo had a poor night calling the line out.

I liked Abel and Robertson. Hooper not at his best, which means of course that he still played well. Jake a touch mixed but mostly good. Thoughtful introduction of Harrison - looks good at 10 I think. Hunt and Foketi mostly good.

Adventurous gameplay you have to put down to Penny, but it is going to need better defence to go with it.

There must have been a game plan to chuck it deep 3,000 times at the lineout

I thought Hunt is trying hard, but too much shit is bad passing, catching and haymaker options.

Beale is Beale, he is going to try stuff that are hero to zero options.

I don't know if we can carry both Beale & Hunt while they are both doing the big reward high risk options

Nawaqanitawase's tackling positioning is terrible, if he doesn't get his positioning right he (and the Tahs) are in for a long season, Diving on the ground whilst trying to ankle tap is not a tackling technique

Newsome was spanked as well - he has fantasies of being a 15, well he better learn anticipation and positioning fast

Harrison did enough

The forwards? Pretty average, set piece is OK, but accuracy is crap and anger was missing. Staniforth, Swinton, Holloway, Faulkner, Mccauley, Dempsey & Abel all were meh

Rip in FFS

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Game itself went pretty well as expected, althougt the Crusaders have lost a lot of players, they had ot reasonably well covered. I not sure Tahs fans should be slitting wrists or anything, well beaten, but your young fellas gave to indication they could improve. I don't think you can expect too much especially early on with a lot of young players.
Patience!!
Got to add what a beautiful looking place to play.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Game itself went pretty well as expected, althougt the Crusaders have lost a lot of players, they had ot reasonably well covered. I not sure Tahs fans should be slitting wrists or anything, well beaten, but your young fellas gave to indication they could improve. I don't think you can expect too much especially early on with a lot of young players.
Patience!!
Got to add what a beautiful looking place to play.
Again well said. Tahs were 8/1 outsiders and had 18.5 start, so it was always going to be a tough assignment. Bailey has a big week ahead of him sorting out the defence and we allowed them to dominate the breakdown and create too many turnovers. The younger players will be better for the experience and the expansive play will hopefully improve after a few games, but it's a long season. Dissapointting result but not wrist slitting time yet

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you don't give up turnovers (easier said than done) to the Saders they don't have much in attack. Also how haven't teams learnt Mo'unga likes to cross field kick. Newsome didn't even jump for a kick.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Rip in FFS

I think I just have tempered expectations for this season. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they (Tah's) will be happy with that game but up against the Crusaders we were still scoring tries. I felt many of their tries were off situations where we just need to react better rather than particular tactics on their part. I'm still optimistic that I saw enough there that gives me some hope.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think I just have tempered expectations for this season. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they (Tah's) will be happy with that game but up against the Crusaders we were still scoring tries. I felt many of their tries were off situations where we just need to react better rather than particular tactics on their part. I'm still optimistic that I saw enough there that gives me some hope.

My wish list requires forwards to fight for every inch, have strong leg drive in contact, decent ball placement and then angry accurate cleanouts

Every time

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I watch a lot of Euro rugby so I feel educated here. It's because Super Rugby errors are off the chart (especially early in the season) compared to Euro but this is because there's more endeavour in attacking play. Euro flows better and they're experts at ball retention and long phases.

Watching the 6 Nations this morning, the players make a break and if nothings on, they're perfectly happy to go to ground and recycle the ball.

Our boys could learn from this. The Kiwis do it all the time.

I actually watched the Reds vs Brumbies game with a long time friend of mine, who was a passionate Union fan until about five years ago, when he switched to league because he now simply views it as a better game.

Everytime someone threw a dumb offload he went ballistic. "They don't respect possession", he said.

It's probably a confidence thing. If we had more faith that we actually could score, maybe we wouldn't desperately try to score in every single phase.

Edit: fuck me, still watching Scotland vs. Ireland. Some of the skills in this are electric. A lot of offloads thrown, but when they're thrown, they tend to stick. They blatantly don't throw them if it's not on.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
@fatprop, give Penny time. He already didn't mince words saying he wasn't happy with the forwards after the trials. I have no doubts he will be highlighting aspects of the players performances where they fell short.

@Micheal, don't disagree that there arn't learnings from the next level up, but the 6 Nations is just that, the next level up. The NH teams do tend to be a bit more conservative with their ball retention but thats a cultural by-product of how they play the game as much as anything.

The Waratahs came 12th out of 15 last season and then proceeded to loose most of their international players. I mean yesterdays game was like a match up between Saracens/Exeter and Wasps/London Irish in the English Premiership.. or say Leinster vs.Dragons or Edinburgh against Beneton in the Pro14.

I think people are going to have to be a little patient to allow Penny time to change things which honestly might not be till next year when he can have more impact on the squad makeup.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Watching the 6 Nations this morning, the players make a break and if nothings on, they're perfectly happy to go to ground and recycle the ball.

Our boys could learn from this. The Kiwis do it all the time.

I actually watched the Reds vs Brumbies game with a long time friend of mine, who was a passionate Union fan until about five years ago, when he switched to league because he now simply views it as a better game.

Everytime someone threw a dumb offload he went ballistic. "They don't respect possession", he said.

It's probably a confidence thing. If we had more faith that we actually could score, maybe we wouldn't desperately try to score in every single phase.

Edit: fuck me, still watching Scotland vs. Ireland. Some of the skills in this are electric. A lot of offloads thrown, but when they're thrown, they tend to stick. They blatantly don't throw them if it's not on.

Comparing meaningful, mid season test matches to 1st round Super Rugby isn't comparing apples with apples is it. However, I agree with needing to respect possession more diligently

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Real forwards have been needed for years but the previous clipboard carrier didn't believe in them (cue the there were none available for years rubbish). Real go forward is needed for backs to have room to move.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Defence was non existent. What happened to blue wall??

Phil Bailey said he was going to follow the blue print of Tandy what did he do follow the yellow brick road instead??

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
First round against the Crusaders was always going to be bloody hard.

Good to see some kids having a go.

Penney has inherited a mess left by Gibson so this season is really going to be a lot of headaches mixed with a few bright spots. Some kids will be blooded ad hopefully over time they will shine. They will need time and patience.

The problem is some of the experienced heads left in the team are the ones that need a rocket

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have tempered expectations but yes was poor performance by tahs especially on defence side - Phil Bailey was but left field choice for defence coach and jury out at this point.

Prepared to cut some slack but if players don’t improve should be replaced. Only player would definitely replace is Newsome for maddocks in terms of starting players. Mason still deserves another crack at 10 as well as Harrison not yet made the case the 10 position is his yet.

Hope moerera may yet be another option as feel we need a more big bopper at 12 to get over the gain line.