• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Reds v Rebels

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I tend to agree Reg.

But maybe there is some logic that if Thomas or Jeans can get through the first 50 - 55 they can give him 25 - 30 at the end against tired opposition. Especially if the Rebs are depleted and the bench is a bit weak.

Personally I’d rather he start but it’s nice that, on first viewing, Jeans seems to be a genuine contender for the back up half role.
If Tate starts he can move to a wing if a winger gets injured, not ideal but he covered pretty well on the wing last season. Then the backup 9 can take the field. This way we can have a player like Stewart on the bench as the other reserve back to cover 10,12,13 and 15.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wallabies’ trio Rob Leota, Andrew Kellaway, and Pone Fa'amausili will be unavailable for the season opener but will be pushing for selection in the coming weeks. Lock Trevor Hosea will unfortunately be sidelined for the next three-months following a footinjury.

Balls.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
No Uru a big surprise to me.
At least it will be safe to drink during the game, Seru Uru has to be the hardest player name to say when intoxicated without giving away how much you have consumed. It just becomes one long slur after a few beers.

I would imagine there will be at least one surprise each week due to either having COVID or being exposed to it and having to isolate.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No Uru a big surprise to me.
Hunter on the bench for the Reds is a surprise.

Straight up!

Lot's of people rating Smith - I've got to watch the guy more closely, but Uru outside the 23, wow. Creighton another I have to watch more closely.

Paisami benched, yikes. Don't mind Flook at 13.

I'm thinking that Daugunu needs to prove a point this weekend.

How good is the rugby starting!!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Wonder how well Blyth has been training to knock Uru out of the squad.

That pack picked would be our tallest by some margin?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
REBELS (1-15):
Cameron Orr,
Jordan Uelese,
Cabous Eboff,
Matt Philip,
Ross Haylett-Petty,
Sam Wallis,
Brad Wilkin,
Michael Wells,
Joe Powell,
Carter Gordon,
Glen Vaihu,
Matt To’omua,
Stacey Ili,
Lachie Anderson,
Reece Hodge

RESERVES:
Matt Gibbon,
James Hanson,
Sef Fa’agase,
Thomas Nowlan,
Tamati Ioane,
James Tuttle,
Raymond Nu’u,
Young Tonumaipea
Had to look up Thomas Nolan and ray nu’u…don’t feel this is a strong 23 cf other super oz sides so could be a tough season for rebels. But maybe some of these new players may step up. But Stacey IIi as staring centre does not inspire.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wallabies’ trio Rob Leota, Andrew Kellaway, and Pone Fa'amausili will be unavailable for the season opener but will be pushing for selection in the coming weeks. Lock Trevor Hosea will unfortunately be sidelined for the next three-months following a footinjury.

Balls.
Every year down here we get a massive kick in the guts before the season even starts

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Had to look up Thomas Nolan and ray nu’u…don’t feel this is a strong 23 cf other super oz sides so could be a tough season for rebels. But maybe some of these new players may step up. But Stacey IIi as staring centre does not inspire.
Yeah this 23 isnt their best but we will see how they perform as a team. Ili had a very good NZ domestic season last year, as did Nu’u

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah this 23 isnt their best but we will see how they perform as a team. Ili had a very good NZ domestic season last year, as did Nu’u
Well rebels on paper had in past quality wallaby players but sucked as a team in terms of cohesion under weasels. Maybe a less talented bunch of players on paper may gel more as a team. If they can get close to the reds with these team I would call that a pretty solid achievement as on paper the comparative squads are chalk and cheese.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seeing the weakened side has me feeling pretty flat. I don’t see how we have any hope against the Reds. It’s the same story every year with players getting injured, it’s time the club invested properly in the strength and conditioning staff.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seeing the weakened side has me feeling pretty flat. I don’t see how we have any hope against the Reds. It’s the same story every year with players getting injured, it’s time the club invested properly in the strength and conditioning staff.
So without knowing what injuries ( muscle strain v collisions eg) its hard to know whether the S&C are at fault, if its all soft tissue injuries then yes thats a problem

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
So without knowing what injuries ( muscle strain v collisions eg) its hard to know whether the S&C are at fault, if its all soft tissue injuries then yes thats a problem
S&C is a big issue, a few mates have studied sports science and have known people have done work placement and graduate programs there and unfortunately I have heard negative things about how it operates there

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What's the deal with Lawson Creighton - is he another schoolboy star coming through?

23yo who has been in the system since 2017. Played NRC with City 2017 to 2019, and I'd suggest that is really the nub of his developement. Listed as 6'1" and 90kg (for what published stats are worth), quoted as a 10 doubling as centre/back three in some places, others as a full back doubling inside the line. Listed as FH on the Reds web page. Call him a utility back for now. It's been suggested here that he is trying to settle in to the Hegarty role - full back doubling as fly half mostly coming from 23.

He is from that age group hitting the system that includes Hansen, Harrison, Hockings, Blyth, Hosea, McReight, Lucas.

Plenty of Reds in the know are rating him, and I have to watch him much more closely.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You know, it is possible some of the Rebels squad have COVID or are in iso because of it. May not be injury-related. Apparently all the kids are doing it these days.