• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020: NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues

NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues

• Go Blues

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Go Waratahs

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • either team would be lucky to finish 3rd in this one

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • do I HAVE to watch this rubbish?

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • prefer not to say

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • i love pole

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Dempsey, Hooper and Abel all showed up, the other 4 tight forwards less so.

When will Aussie teams learning about scoreboard pressure?

It baffles me that Robertson gets a gig at this level. In 3 years of watching, I can't recall a single noteworthy event from him. Not even scrummaging. The scrum markedly improved when he went off.

Swinton is another. Please name me a thing he does effectively, other than having a scary snarly-face and a tough-looking mullet

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
It baffles me that Robertson gets a gig at this level. In 3 years of watching, I can't recall a single noteworthy event from him. Not even scrummaging. The scrum markedly improved when he went off.

Swinton is another. Please name me a thing he does effectively, other than having a scary snarly-face and a tough-looking mullet

He was a good looking scrummager before his ACL injury, He could get it back

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
cantabs_zpssb6mcwjg.png
"SILENCE! It is I, Razor. This evening, I come before you bearing yet more sickening, sickening news to compound our collective coagulous misery on this, a most barbarous of Round 2 weekends. That hated and moribund and, frankly, pathetic Auckland Blues joke of a franchise located on the Island of Impure Dogs have somehow conspired to bumble and fart and dribble their way to a an actual 5-try bonus point victory in a rugby football match. I know, I know, you have every right to roar and roar and roar in pained anguish and to openly weep in a torrential and unhinged fashion. However, here this evening, let us battle to retain a brief semblance of composure for just long enough to hold hands and pray that such an unholy confluence of tempestuous and contemptuous events never, ever, EVER again befalls our great Kingdom of Gilead I mean Christchurch, amen, praise the Lord, pass the ammunition, Blessed be the Lancaster-Sized Wanger, etc, etc."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geex my tv has gone strange, first thing the commentator tried to tell me the team in white were the Blues, but they won so almost thought it was a joke, but no with 10 minutes to go they brought on a prop with a beard who packed doen at No 8 and then jogged around the field, looked a lot like Akira Ioane, so maybe................

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
That was a hard watch. I felt like I saw some green shoots in the Crusaders game but tonight it was just poor. The aimless kicks and breakdown work was just dismal.

I think Maddocks has to start. You could see them targeting Nawaqanitawase's wing with their kicks and they ran down that channel multiple times. He's just still too fragile in defence and the other teams know it. Newsome put in another lacklustre shift too and the forwards were just ...

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Beat the Tahs by more than the Crusaders did - i'll take it. Perofeta was surprisingly good. Telea is playing very well.

Tahs were really disappointing - they dont seem to have a pattern they can call back on.

Tahs league defence coach isn't showing much so far.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I don’t mind Swinton, he wasn’t the greatest today but I think most packs with 2/3 players of his mentality is going to be better for it.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Beat the Tahs by more than the Crusaders did - i'll take it. Perofeta was surprisingly good. Telea is playing very well.

Tahs were really disappointing - they dont seem to have a pattern they can call back on.

Tahs league defence coach isn't showing much so far.

Phil Bailey said he was going to teach players to have a more dominant tackle. He just failed to tell us which side he was teaching this to

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
That was a hard watch. I felt like I saw some green shoots in the Crusaders game but tonight it was just poor. The aimless kicks and breakdown work was just dismal.

I think Maddocks has to start. You could see them targeting Nawaqanitawase's wing with their kicks and they ran down that channel multiple times. He's just still too fragile in defence and the other teams know it. Newsome put in another lacklustre shift too and the forwards were just .

Most of the players didn't seem to care.
Tahs forwards (Not that you can call them that) were non existent.
No heart today

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Phil Bailey doesn't seem to know how to coach defence.
Chris Whitaker like last year and the 2 NRC seasons doesn't seem to know how to coach attack

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Phil Bailey doesn't seem to know how to coach defence.
Chris Whitaker like last year and the 2 NRC seasons doesn't seem to know how to coach attack

If we are honest the buck needs to stop at coach recruitment and who is signing off on coaches in Aust.

So far from my count the following coaches have been given roles without advertisement..

At least NZ and SA have a process.. they advertise all positions!

For the life of me i don`t understand why these roles are not thrown open for coaches in our systems. Go through a process and ID coaches
Over the last 2-3 here it is:

NSW
Steve Tandy - came from nowhere.. GM mate
Chris Whitaker - who had seen him coach before he got a gig?, he also did Aust A but how was this picked and by who?
Phil Bailey - after WC 2015, spent last year working in corporate USA and before HK club.. last 2 games show Tahs defence is pretty poor

Rebels
Geoff Parling
Shaun Berne
Kevin Foote
Morgan T

7s
Steve Hoiles
James Standard

Alot of x players here given coaching roles before doing the hard yards.. technical expertise yes, but the art and science of coaching is where they are lacking...

Look at NZ many elite coaches ex teachers with long coaching resumes..

Someone needs to be accountable!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its going to be a VERY, VERY long season. The Blues did everything they could to lose and still won by heaps.

Two things happened last season: The team management failed to hold Gibson to account for the recruiting clusterfuck. Instead they blamed Cron and told him he wasn't head coach material. The GM was so ashamed he quit and went to manage the Blues. Cron went to Japan, never to return, Gibson fell on his sword too late to matter. We picked up an ex-Canterbury coach in the hope that some of the magic would rub off. It hasn't.

Penney watched last week and then picked a team with Dempsey at 8, two powder-puff locks, Newsome on the wing and Maddocks on the bench. Could he not see that last week our scrum got owned by the Crusader's reserves? Yes, I know that Holloway is the closest thing we have in the squad to a power forward (the ludicrous nature of that statement is obvious but obviously true) but he picked eight others in front of him so Penney's been to the Gibson school of Rugby recruitment, where they teach that power is completely unnecessary for the modern game. Penney has got a squad that is as weak as I have ever seen it but he has done NOTHING to bolster it since he got here and NOTHING that's worked to try to improve it.

The assistant coaches have covered themselves in everything but glory. Our defence is execrable, our forward skills non-existent and our attack is clueless.

Its going to be a VERY, VERY long season.