• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2: Waratahs v Reds AKA The 2022 Festival of Hate.

Tahs vs Reds

• Go Tahs

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • I hope it goes badly for both of them

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Prefer not to say

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I really enjoyed this game. One for the rugby purest; super physical, lots of niggle, and very closely contested until the end. Given the difficult conditions I actually thought the quality of play was pretty good.

Hats off to the Tahs. Definitely looked the better side during parts of the game. I wouldn't be too upset with the result if I were the fans, given that it was leaps and bounds better than any performance last season. Add Hooper, Hanigan and Swinton back into the 23 and you have a pack that should be more than competitive.

Not the best game for the Reds but losing your star tight-head and then your halfback/captain is always going to make it tough. Their defence was outstanding. The fact that they were able close out a tough game like this is a good sign that they are going to pick up where they left off last season.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Pocock was a fill in for one year. Perese played plenty of pro career at centre.
That’s fair but playing Perese on the wing isn’t the same as when, say, Rob Horne was turned into a winger. Anyway, it’s still February, plenty of rugby before the Wallabies’ first game.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
How do Tahs supporters rate Donaldson’s game last night?

Conditions were suited to a playmaker who liked to sit back in the pocket and facilitate, but he actually seemed more active with ball in hand than last week.
I think he was the Red's MVP. Outstanding Job.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Contrary to a couple of posters here, I thought mostly Donaldson was pretty fair. He made two very poor decisions, which may have possibly cost the Tahs a win, which demonstrates his inexperience and the fact that he's still a long way short of a potential Wallaby as some are suggesting. Apart from that, however, his kicking out of hand was very good, his defence is okay, his work to get his backline moving was good and he ran the ball well a couple of times. His goalkicking was probably consistent with his long term average, which is fair but not great. For this reason I believe Harrison needs to in this side, whether at 10 or 15 is another question. Harrison's kicking goals and the Tahs win that game.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Donaldson wasn't reliable yesterday. So there is an open door for Will Harrison, improving his level of course

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Donaldson wasn't reliable yesterday. So there is an open door for Will Harrison, improving his level of course
After two games into the season?
He played a great game first up and a pretty good game in the wet, albeit with a few plays that were not so good, and you want to drop him?
Harrison played 1 and half seasons with plenty of average games and wasn’t dropped.
My bet is Coleman won’t do that.
After 2 games?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Donaldson has many positives. He’ll improve with confidence. His game management and taking the ball to the line are the noticeable ones for me. There are two types of flyhalf(s), the ‘playmaker’ and the ‘go yourself’. In Australian right now we have:

PLAYMAKER
Gordon
Donaldson
Lynagh (from what I see so far)

JOC (James O'Connor) (50/50)
Harrison (50/50)
Lolesio (50/50)

GO YOURSELF (better positioned at 12)
Pasitoa
To'omua
McIntyre (too small)

I personally like a traditional playmaker, but it depends on who you have got around you. I like the style of Gordon and Donaldson, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see value in the other players. Many variables.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Donaldson has many positives. He’ll improve with confidence. His game management and taking the ball to the line are the noticeable ones for me. There are two types of flyhalf(s), the ‘playmaker’ and the ‘go yourself’. In Australian right now we have:

PLAYMAKER
Gordon
Donaldson
Lynagh (from what I see so far)

JOC (James O'Connor) (50/50)
Harrison (50/50)
Lolesio (50/50)

GO YOURSELF (better positioned at 12)
Pasitoa
To'omua
McIntyre (too small)

I personally like a traditional playmaker, but it depends on who you have got around you. I like the style of Gordon and Donaldson, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see value in the other players. Many variables.
Astute observations....
I would add that this season will be good as it unfolds for all the 10’s, especially the back end when our sides play the Kiwi sides.
Calls for Wallaby selections after 2 games is premature and puts pressure on the incumbents and the new ones coming thru.
Just let them play rugby and see what unfolds.
Gordon getting dropped back to the bench after 1 game was ridiculous I thought. Hodge and To’omua as seasoned Wallabies hardly shot the lights out and they drop Gordon?
Young Petaia has great skills but has also had many not so good games.
Experience comes from game time and playing against superior opponents, and learning from your mistakes.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
In a less competitive side with a beaten forward pack. I'd like to see what Harrison can do with a more compromised team
Compared to a couple of dud options (that I’ll imagine he’d know he screwed up) in terrible conditions in one game? I’m not saying he’s a lock at 10, we have 3 promising 10s at present, none of which are the finished product. I like the idea of a tandem of Harrison and Donaldson at 10/15 when Harrison is fit with edmed subbing in as 10/12.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Compared to a couple of dud options (that I’ll imagine he’d know he screwed up) in terrible conditions in one game? I’m not saying he’s a lock at 10, we have 3 promising 10s at present, none of which are the finished product. I like the idea of a tandem of Harrison and Donaldson at 10/15 when Harrison is fit with edmed subbing in as 10/12.
Donaldson and Harrison are both in a fortunate position to develop their games, with Gordon a solid distributor, and Foleki and Perese as hard hitting go forward centres. Your forwards have got some power with Bell increasing the benchmark every game. Newsome fits the fullback mould and the wingers will follow suit. The combinations are the best they can be and DC does this well.
The Force combinations run a similar path, and that’s why they will continue to improve as the season progresses. Brumbies and Reds lack the hard hitting centres, and let’s just say the Rebels have been chosen on name merit and not combinations.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A glass half full (and accurate) view would be the tahs have 3 super rugby quality 10s.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1 and half seasons v 2 games.

Donaldson also started 5 games at 10 last season.

The reality is that they are both talented players but Donaldson isn't entitled to stay at 10 for a long time just because he's started the season there.

Coleman has to work out what is better for the team long term.

The team is now a chunk better than they were last year and importantly, the 10 is getting an opportunity to play with Gordon at 9 which Harrison didn't really get last season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Meh, Well done reds, they solved the problems on the night, the Tahs didn't

I was concerned after the first decision to not take the points on a wet, miserable night

And is there anything more boring than the pigs going nose down from one metre out?

Last edited: