• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 3: Rebels vs Waratahs

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I must have fast forwarded through those "highlights". But being the biggest attacking threat in a side with no attack is not exactly a great compliment. He looked ponderous and slow to me.
His snipe from the srum base led to our only try. There were many Tahs worse than him imho

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
His snipe from the srum base led to our only try. There were many Tahs worse than him imho

Agree. I think he also just generally has a different look/style about him compared to some of the other 9's (he's taller for starters being ~186cm compared to most 9's being in the 170-80cm range). Tate for example looks frantic when he's not even going anywhere.

The coaches would have better insight into how he is performing with more clearcut metrics and I thing you need to judge him in the context of some of the ball he's getting from the forwards. To say he's the worst Tah's player on the field is beyond harsh.

B

Bobby Sands

Couldn't agree more about the three players having bright futures and persevering with them. But the option that just might work in WH's favour is if Beale is out of the side altogether. I think his consistent waywardness is having a detrimental effect on the rest of the team.

Key example when he just didn’t place the ball, he essentially just through it backwards - it spilled out the side of the ruck and led to a direct turnover.

That is a wanton disregard for protecting possession. I’ve never seen such an obvious lack of “detail” from a pro.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good contest. At least there was some feeling out there. Some top tactical kicking too. I really wish there were some mentals doing some sort of alternative commentary on the net though. "Experts" like Gregan and Hoiles might know their shit but theyre so dull and diplomatic, ffs, I cant recall a single thing either said over the 2 hours and I just finished watching a full replay right now. Get some plastered & deranged parochial hometowners lolling at home on the sofa hooked up to a mic

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have been a fan of Harrison since last year's U20s. I had high expectations for him this year, thinking he would be the best of the young No 10s because of his U20s and NRC form. I would expect he has more skills than just kicking the ball, but very few have been on show so far this year. As for a "3 game barely teenager" matching it with MT, did you watch Noah Lolesio last week Reg.

I think we are discounting too soon and I don't think that the Waratahs are going to do much for his rep. No idea where it goes from here but I'm hoping Harrison is not sacrificed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Good contest. At least there was some feeling out there. Some top tactical kicking too. I really wish there were some mentals doing some sort of alternative commentary on the net though. "Experts" like Gregan and Hoiles might know their shit but theyre so dull and diplomatic, ffs, I cant recall a single thing either said over the 2 hours and I just finished watching a full replay right now. Get some plastered & deranged parochial hometowners lolling at home on the sofa hooked up to a mic

Oh oh just Yes.

The sole and biggest gain I would personally get from Foxtel losing Aust rugby rights from 2021 is surely the permanent disappearance - to the Gulag of Hopelessly Over-Promoted Sports TV Frontmen - of the live Foxtel rugby commentariat.

They are APPALLING. All of them. Their unbending, unyielding modality:

Stating the Fucking Totally Obvious
Idiotic Excuse-Making and Next-Gen Rugby Woke Speak everywhere - no player is ever poor, they just are having 'off moments'; coaches are 'trying hard to get improvements'; player X is 'just having a bad night' (even though this is his 47th bad night in a row)
Insight-less Drivel and Pointless Gap-Filling Inanities
Regularly Not Knowing the Fucking Laws and /or Getting Them Wrong
No One Must Disagree about Anything - like a bunch of frightened siblings not daring to criticise mother's Christmas cake
Too Many of Them Making the Total Effect of Their Relentless Mediocrity Even More Unbearable - why TF does each Super game need the hapless and worn out cliche-dead Clarkie (' he's got it on a string tonight', 'penalty's gone to the attacking team') AND 2-3 more of these hopeless characters
I can't bear to keep the list going (but could) - my hands start to shake in rage and loathing and the heart pills are soon required.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oh oh just Yes.

The sole and biggest gain I would personally get from Foxtel losing Aust rugby rights from 2021 is surely the permanent disappearance - to the Gulag of Hopelessly Over-Promoted Sports TV Frontmen - of the live Foxtel rugby commentariat.

They are APPALLING. All of them. Their unbending, unyielding modality:

Stating the Fucking Totally Obvious
Idiotic Excuse-Making and Next-Gen Rugby Woke Speak everywhere - no player is ever poor, they just are having 'off moments'; coaches are 'trying hard to get improvements'; player X is 'just having a bad night' (even though this is his 47th bad night in a row)
Insight-less Drivel and Pointless Gap-Filling Inanities
Regularly Not Knowing the Fucking Laws and /or Getting Them Wrong
No One Must Disagree about Anything - like a bunch of frightened siblings not daring to criticise mother's Christmas cake
Too Many of Them Making the Total Effect of Their Relentless Mediocrity Even More Unbearable - why TF does each Super game need the hapless and worn out cliche-dead Clarkie (' he's got it on a string tonight', 'penalty's gone to the attacking team') AND 2-3 more of these hopeless characters
I can't bear to keep the list going (but could) - my hands start to shake in rage and loathing and the heart pills are soon required.

Haha!

What we need is a rugby Roy and HG - has to be easy to set up. You know the sort of thing "HE'S BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY, REF" in the first 60s of a game. Blithely ridiculing not the sport but it's commentariat.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
player X is 'just having a bad night' (even though this is his 47th bad night in a row)

hahaha would love to do a webcast commentary thing for Loss Bleus games with my trusty half-drunk play-by play man Z.Ero. My negativity for the hapless, rudderless, Blues shartgeyser cumulus could blacken the sun itself by halftime

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Would we be able to tell the difference from Kearns' one-eyed ramblings?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree. After 3 defeats I think we need to concentrate on a rebuilding year and put faith in our youngsters. It's a huge step up from 20s and there have been flaws. Harrison needs to work on his decision making, Nawaqanitawase on his defense and Bell on his scrummaging but they all have strengths that give me hope
All these things can be improved with experience at Super Rugby level and all of them have a bright future and should be supported. Besides, what's the option, Beale at 10?

Nope.
Put them into club rugby with State training opportunities on top. One season.
Bring up experienced campaigners to fill the gaps.
Re-building isn't done by smashing the body and confidence of a young man. Get them to graduate from the school of hard knocks not the rarefied atmosphere of under-age rugby.
The number of Mark Loans who are capable of elite rugby at such a young age is much smaller than the number of young guns who have been promoted before their time in 2020.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Nope.
Put them into club rugby with State training opportunities on top. One season.
Bring up experienced campaigners to fill the gaps.
Re-building isn't done by smashing the body and confidence of a young man. Get them to graduate from the school of hard knocks not the rarefied atmosphere of under-age rugby.
The number of Mark Loans who are capable of elite rugby at such a young age is much smaller than the number of young guns who have been promoted before their time in 2020.

Very hard balancing act between promoting them too early or too late. You need to keep them invested in the club and keep their motivation there. It’s professional now so if you keep them in club footy to long they will look overseas

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Very hard balancing act between promoting them too early or too late. You need to keep them invested in the club and keep their motivation there. It’s professional now so if you keep them in club footy to long they will look overseas
And there is no club footy atm. They will be put back in SS post Super Rugby to work on their game when the season is over. They'll learn a lot from that too

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
And there is no club footy atm. They will be put back in SS post Super Rugby to work on their game when the season is over. They'll learn a lot from that too
That’s also a big factor, I like them giving the young blokes a chance. You look at Harrison yeah he hasn’t been great but it is way better than trying to play Beale 10. Harrison will probably lose the 10 jersey to Mason when he returns for injury and then he will be able to go back to club land and work on his game

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
That’s also a big factor, I like them giving the young blokes a chance. You look at Harrison yeah he hasn’t been great but it is way better than trying to play Beale 10. Harrison will probably lose the 10 jersey to Mason when he returns for injury and then he will be able to go back to club land and work on his game
Mason has never showed anymore than Harrison has and he probably had a better pack in front of him- what do we gain from his selection?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Mason has never showed anymore than Harrison has and he probably had a better pack in front of him- what do we gain from his selection?
Never had the opportunity to start 3 weeks in a row, Penny had him as the preferred fly half before his injury I would be surprised if he didn’t get a shot at the starting role also I think Harrison is going to need rest. Big ask for him to play the entire season at 10.

Alex Ross (28)
Just watched the replay of the Rebels A vs Tahs A. Some players form that need need promotion next game. If Tafa isn’t playing lock next game instead of McCauley then Penny’s eyes are painted on.
Moeroa not ready though by the looks of it.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Never had the opportunity to start 3 weeks in a row, Penny had him as the preferred fly half before his injury I would be surprised if he didn’t get a shot at the starting role also I think Harrison is going to need rest. Big ask for him to play the entire season at 10.
The problem with Mason is that he has often been mentioned as not having a chance, but he hasn't done anything in club land to demand a look in. He should get another chance, but it will be his last