• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby: Round 1. Rebels vs Brumbies - 23 Feb AAMI

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s hard I honestly expect them to win, the question mark is what effect will all the outside noise have on them? I don’t think we will have an average year, I feel it will either make us or break us

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
It’s hard I honestly expect them to win, the question mark is what effect will all the outside noise have on them? I don’t think we will have an average year, I feel it will either make us or break us
I have been down to the training field in the last 2 weeks and they are looking the goods. The crowd needs to get behind them.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have been down to the training field in the last 2 weeks and they are looking the goods. The crowd needs to get behind them.
I do have a good feeling about the year, last year the signs were there. Issue was defence from what I have seen in the preseason we have improved. Also last year we tended to play 60 minutes. We would take it up to teams then fade out late and get overrun. Obviously all the boys are one year older, we are a lot healthier than last year and added some good experience.

If we can just close out those games we will be absolutely up to our necks in it.

I also think the previous times the Rebels have had a good roster it has mainly been a good back line and back rowers. But we were vulnerable up front. This is the best tight 5 we have ever had

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
I do have a good feeling about the year, last year the signs were there. Issue was defence from what I have seen in the preseason we have improved. Also last year we tended to play 60 minutes. We would take it up to teams then fade out late and get overrun. Obviously all the boys are one year older, we are a lot healthier than last year and added some good experience.

If we can just close out those games we will be absolutely up to our necks in it.

I also think the previous times the Rebels have had a good roster it has mainly been a good back line and back rowers. But we were vulnerable up front. This is the best tight 5 we have ever had
The forwards took a good half hour to get sorted in the Drua trial, and they won’t have the luxury against the Brumbies. They need to start fast and Leota needs to get them to hold the ball for longer. They can’t play hot potatos.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The boys will be better for the run in their legs on Friday, the Drua were very physical and it took a little time to adjust.

The Brumbies have the potential to blow us away if everything goes right for them, but so long as we keep cool heads we should be able to contain most of their threats down to the rolling maul, at which point we just need to be clinical in our opportunities to find points. Big game for Matty Proctor in term of defensive organisation: I loved Hodgey, but he's a tackler, not a "defender", that's the area where an Tamati Ellison type impact would be seriously felt.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
fuck yeah, one more day till first team lists of the season. So keen to chat actual rugby.

Rebels looking blessed on the injury front for once, touch wood.

For the forwards our props are good, our locks are largely settled. I would love one of Uelese or Mafi to really make the jersey their own. Unfortunately judging by Mafi's throwing on Friday looks like our LO woes will continue.

Backrow is settled but feeling a little light on after Dickie and Ioane moved on and Hough's potential injury. If Maiava is a lock then we only have 4 backrowers on the books. I guess Maiava and Salakai-Loto can alternate.

I'm a bit meh about Maunder, not impressed by trials and I think he'll be a similar level to Tuttle and Louwrens, so really don't feel strongly as to who starts.

Gordon obviously. Hopefully the addition of Proctor allows Ripley to be used more sparingly and manage his ascent to Super. I expect we'll see something similar to the trial, 10. Gordon 11/14 Vaihu/Daugunu, 12. Feliuai, 13. Proctor, 15. Kellaway. Like always could do something with this backline if a few stand up, will feel positive till we play a NZ side and I realise the absolute size and speed difference between the two.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Backrow is settled but feeling a little light on after Dickie and Ioane moved on and Hough's potential injury. If Maiava is a lock then we only have 4 backrowers on the books. I guess Maiava and Salakai-Loto can alternate.

I don't think this is worth worrying about too much until a long term injury occurs. Wilkin going down is maybe a bigger deal than the other three, but the big four are all 100% Super Rugby Quality starters.

Longer term I'm certain Maiava will still be seen primarily as a backrow, and if there's a week or two without one of the big four he'll comfortably fill that 20 jersey: he's just in the lock mix right now as we don't really have a lot of big bastards, and the drop from Tualima or Smith is a lot less physically than it would be from Josh, or Hosea/Philip last year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dont think Hardwick was a huge loss. He is really good over the ball and has a great work rate but he was capable of some incredibly boneheaded decisions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies have a few injury concerns going into the start of the season...

Valetini and Neville both didn't play against the Force, and Ikitau finished the game with a calf complaint, but hopefully all will be right to play.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
fuck yeah, one more day till first team lists of the season. So keen to chat actual rugby.

Rebels looking blessed on the injury front for once, touch wood.

For the forwards our props are good, our locks are largely settled. I would love one of Uelese or Mafi to really make the jersey their own. Unfortunately judging by Mafi's throwing on Friday looks like our LO woes will continue.

I'm a bit meh about Maunder, not impressed by trials and I think he'll be a similar level to Tuttle and Louwrens, so really don't feel strongly as to who starts.

Gordon obviously. Hopefully the addition of Proctor allows Ripley to be used more sparingly and manage his ascent to Super. I expect we'll see something similar to the trial, 10. Gordon 11/14 Vaihu/Daugunu, 12. Feliuai, 13. Proctor, 15. Kellaway. Like always could do something with this backline if a few stand up, will feel positive till we play a NZ side and I realise the absolute size and speed difference between the two.
Anderson ?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anderson ?
yeah he'll be in there with Vaihu, I thought they might try Daugunu in the centres as they have Anderson, Lancaster, Vaihu etc. But trials suggested otherwise.

I like Anderson, he's a really reliable Super player but I think we've seen his ceiling. Vaihu I'm keen to see more of.