• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 3, 2018 - Sharks vs Waratahs @ Durban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs touring squad is the 23 from last night's match against the Stormers except for Rob Simmons who is out with a quad tear and the addition of Taqele Naiyaravoro, young lock Lachie Swinton, Fijian prop Kaliviti Tawake, Tolu Latu and Will Miller.

Even though Kepu is allowed to play in round 4 they have opted to leave him at home for further fitness training. I wonder whether they will change their mind and fly him to Argentina to join the squad there for second week of the tour?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That Kepu decision is odd, because he was just what the Tahs were lacking on Saturday. There must be an issue.

I reckon they'll see how they go this week and then decide whether he should join the tour in Argentina to cut out a reasonable amount of travel.

In terms of his overall year it's a bit of a favour for him and the Wallabies that he is avoiding one round trip to South Africa and Argentina seeing as he'll get to do another one later in the year with the Wallabies.

I reckon we'll see a bit of a reshuffle this week with Hanigan moving to lock, Wells to 6, Holloway to 8 and Swinton joining the bench.

Robertson has to improve. I doubt they'll start Johnson-Holmes or switch Ryan and Robertson (although I'd be tempted). The Sharks should hopefully not pose quite as much a threat at scrum time as the Stormers.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon we'll see a bit of a reshuffle this week with Hanigan moving to lock, Wells to 6, Holloway to 8 and Swinton joining the bench.

Robertson has to improve. I doubt they'll start Johnson-Holmes or switch Ryan and Robertson (although I'd be tempted). The Sharks should hopefully not pose quite as much a threat at scrum time as the Stormers.

Reckon you've got the back five spot on.

As to the front row I reckon they have to be a bit more radical. I would put Robertson and Ryan where they will be for the season - at 1 and 17. Collectively they'll be the ones directly facing "the Beast". Its a huge gamble but I'd give Tawake a start against the Sharks. Its a huge step up but he's looked good to me in the limited time I've seen him play. That leaves Shambeckler Vui to come on as soon as it goes to custard, which could be at 10 minutes or 50.

If opposed training says that's not on, then Vui starts with Johnson-Holmes, who I think has played both sides, or Tawake on the bench. We need to keep Robertson and Ryan on the side they are going to play this year. Based on history, Robertson is a better THP but that option is not really available.

This will not be a match for Roach to play, Latu has to come in to strengthen the scrum. Whether that's at 2 or 16 entirely depends on opposed scrum training.

It is beyond stupid that Kepu won't fly to Argentina. We are in deep doodoo right now and every opposition knows it. Every opposition will target us until Kepu gets back and every referee will start the game assuming our scrum is weak and that every collapse is our fault. Keeping Kepu fresh for the tests is not in the Waratahs' or Gibson's best interests.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is beyond stupid that Kepu won't fly to Argentina. We are in deep doodoo right now and every opposition knows it. Every opposition will target us until Kepu gets back and every referee will start the game assuming our scrum is weak and that every collapse is our fault. Keeping Kepu fresh for the tests is not in the Waratahs' or Gibson's best interests.

I think there has to be a pretty decent chance this will happen.

If he needs more fitness it makes sense not to send him to South Africa and instead put him through a harder week in Sydney before joining the squad in Argentina.

My guess is even though it is an afternoon game, they won't be in time to fly out that night from South Africa so they leave early Sunday morning and get to BA late Sunday night.

Kepu could leave Sydney on Sunday night and get there on Monday morning ready to train.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Sharks are having problems in the scrum because they are trying to convert Thomas du Toit into a TH from LH as per Bok management's request.

They got pummeled proper against the Lions in round 1.

If they can sort that out they are quite dangerous though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Sharks are having problems in the scrum because they are trying to convert Thomas du Toit into a TH from LH as per Bok management's request.

They got pummeled proper against the Lions in round 1.

If they can sort that out they are quite dangerous though.

The Tank is doing OK. To be honest I suspect that the LHP props are needing to do something of a tight head role on their own put ins with the new rules. I hadn't realised that change was driven by the Boks.

I understand that Dan du Preez is out injured - if so it will be felt by the Sharks.

Sharks will want to sin this one. They should have the advantage in the set piece, similar apporach from both packs around the park. Sharks backs and attack are surprising (good) but with Foley, Beale and Folau firing the Tahs are better.

You need the ball though - I'd call this as advantage Sharks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Sharks will start favourites as the home team and it is certainly a tall order for the Tahs.

I think the Sharks will be the weakest of the South African teams this year though. The Tahs should certainly be eyeing it off as a good opportunity to pick up a win in South Africa.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just don't get Robertson, he was absolutely minced on Saturday night and i expect the same will happen again in SA, problem is HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) isn't ready to take on that burden yet. Actually think Ryan transitioning to LHP with Vui at THP prob be the better set piece option but it will never happen. Thought Vui offered some much needed willingness to tuck the ball under his arm and take it forward when he came on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would love for someone far cleverer than me to explain why Robertson was ever moved from THP to LHP.

I thought he was bloody effective at THP in his first season and has been less effective since moving to LHP.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I would love for someone far cleverer than me to explain why Robertson was ever moved from THP to LHP.

I thought he was bloody effective at THP in his first season and has been less effective since moving to LHP.

You've actually got a moniker that implies you should know something about the issue, but could it be because he was deemed not big/strong enough for THP, particularly for the next level up?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You've actually got a moniker that implies you should know something about the issue, but could it be because he was deemed not big/strong enough for THP, particularly for the next level up?

Mate the more I played, the less I realized I knew about scrummaging

But I always had more trouble with squat THPs who could get under me and drive out through my spine

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

And Ryan did better at LHP last year than THP. And yet they have been swapped. I realise neither are world beaters, but it is very odd.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Is Will Miller touring just for injury cover then? As an out and out 7 I can’t really see him making the bench if they go with 6. Wells 7. Hopper 8. Holloway.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is Will Miller touring just for injury cover then? As an out and out 7 I can’t really see him making the bench if they go with 6. Wells 7. Hopper 8. Holloway.

Miller is a tough bugger. I would pick him over Swinton. Holloway give the lineout enough to get away with two short backrowers (for the back part of the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.