• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
HMP is eligible again for the Australian U20's, so with JOC (James O'Connor) returning & Lawson Creighton waiting his opportunity, I think this will be a learning year for him.
Unless of course, he 'brings the house down', then the U20's will need to find another flyhalf.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Will be good to see Gamble v McReight early in the season. Lots of posters always calling for Gamble in the Wallabies squad as soon as he's eligible.

He's 28 this year, you'd think he needs to prove his selection in this Super Rugby season if he's a chance of becoming a Wallabies mainstay. Considering the other options in the backrow are all significantly younger and already have some runs on the board.

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
I like the Reds balance in the backline. A guy like Grealy on one Wing and Vunivalu on the other bring different skills to the game.

Tahs running out there skinny and some short of a run and maybe partially injured. Didn't Foketi have an issue? I also assume he's the cover for 10 if something were to happen. Reds have the ability to shift around multiple times with HMP and Campbell on the Bench. Will Harrison is becoming an absolute need for NSW.

I do like FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) getting the start. I think the only hope the Tahs have is trying to own the middle through Bell, Amatosero, Gleeson, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner). Mahe and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) have left a lot to be desired through the trials.
Squad members been saying that Jorgensen has been stepping in at training at first receiver a lot in the past 12 months whilst returning from knee and ankle injuries. The brains trust see his ability to transition 10/15 like Damian McKenzie in the future. Left field as it seems, I would not be surprised to see him step in there should Edmed go down injured.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Will be good to see Gamble v McReight early in the season. Lots of posters always calling for Gamble in the Wallabies squad as soon as he's eligible.

He's 28 this year, you'd think he needs to prove his selection in this Super Rugby season if he's a chance of becoming a Wallabies mainstay. Considering the other options in the backrow are all significantly younger and already have some runs on the board.
I think you’ll find Gamble is no longer flavour of the month.

Langi Gleeson is the new shiny thing.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
On a more serious note, it’s being reported Foketi was rushed to hospital yesterday and is in doubt.

Left training in a neck brace. Hopefully just a scare and everything is alright.
Oh shit, that's terrible news. Hopefully he pulls through and it's not as serious as it looks.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
On a more serious note, it’s being reported Foketi was rushed to hospital yesterday and is in doubt.

Left training in a neck brace. Hopefully just a scare and everything is alright.
Walton to push forward and Jorgenson to go to 15?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Forecast improving significantly for the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if we just have one decent downpour and it's a bit damp.

A couple of the clubs are having 'team building' days tomorrow after a morning training run, some responsible drinking and then watching the game at the clubhouse. I am surprised the QRU haven't flooded the clubs with bulk free tickets for this game to kick-off the season. It's the perfect time to target lads and laddettes who play rugby but might otherwise support the NRL.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Forecast improving significantly for the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if we just have one decent downpour and it's a bit damp.

A couple of the clubs are having 'team building' days tomorrow after a morning training run, some responsible drinking and then watching the game at the clubhouse. I am surprised the QRU haven't flooded the clubs with bulk free tickets for this game to kick-off the season. It's the perfect time to target lads and laddettes who play rugby but might otherwise support the NRL.
When was the last time any senior rugby player was offered a free ticket? Don't they even have to pay to watch Finals at Ballymore?

You'd think with subs of $400+ they'd be able to watch clubmates at finals time.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

I'm not a huge fan of free tickets for adults. For kids/juniors it makes sense because there's always going to be a paying adult with them, but I'm not sure you get much conversion to paying fans giving out free tickets to adults, particularly not when they're already rugby fans. Better for the QRU you to offer blocks of 20/50/100/etc. tickets at increasing discount and pay to put buses on between the clubs and Suncorp, maybe even drinks or food packages where possible.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm not a huge fan of free tickets for adults. For kids/juniors it makes sense because there's always going to be a paying adult with them, but I'm not sure you get much conversion to paying fans giving out free tickets to adults, particularly not when they're already rugby fans. Better for the QRU you to offer blocks of 20/50/100/etc. tickets at increasing discount and pay to put buses on between the clubs and Suncorp, maybe even drinks or food packages where possible.

Agree in principal.

But if we are isolating this weekend: first game of the season, new coach for the Reds, no other codes competing for bums in seats. I'm trying to fill the stadium and make it a really good time for everyone in the hope the experience brings them back again as paying members.

I think there's a much wider gap in Brisbane than people realise between club rugby players and how many of them are actually Reds members and we need to close that gap.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Agree with the 2nd part of this. I also don't see a problem with registered club players getting free tix to one or 2 games a year. Perhaps a last minute thing where qru announce the night before, only those who have paid subs able to get it. Get them in, more of a crowd, get them spending cash at the bar which I'm sure they would. Otherwise they'll probably just be spending it at another pub. Engage them and hopefully they'll have a good time and pay to come back next time.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not how I wanted game day to start - it's looking pretty set in out Collingwood Park way ...

Screenshot_20240224_060908_BOM Weather.jpg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A ’free ticket’ isn't really free, the costs are transferred to someone

Correct - but as someone correctly posted earlier, the subs the club players are already quite high, QRU may as well tack on another $40 a year and allocate a larger number of ‘free tickets’.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think you’ll find the majority of the subs go back to the clubs or to insurance. Not a lot of it goes to QRU. So whilst I get the point QRU would be offering free tickets on the basis of money they never receive

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think you’ll find the majority of the subs go back to the clubs or to insurance. Not a lot of it goes to QRU. So whilst I get the point QRU would be offering free tickets on the basis of money they never receive

Are QRU a commercial organisation or a rep organisation for the playing members? Tickets to the pro game is one thing, but even there a $5 or $10 ticket for a game in a 50,000 stadium that gets 10,000 - you're still selling beer and food. Also Ballymore at the finals - surely we are talking govt funding for the facility and funds from those attending on the day. $400 to play surely can offer some kind an advantage.