• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
If, like me, you were surprised at the Force's lofty place in the standings tables this morning it is because teams are awarded four points for a bye.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I like the idea of giving four points for a bye. Without that you are always trying to do complex calculations of how many byes each team has had to determine where they really stand.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I think it was the Stormers coach who said at the weekend "this is the best start we have ever had to a season - 8 points from 1 game"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies have spent most of their years since their last championship outside of the finals but in the top 6...

Just to further annoy their fans they will probably finish 7th this year...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
quick question, does the winner of the aussie comp come from just the games played between the aussie teams or does it include the games against other conferences as well?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
so many tables, why not just have one and have a different colour for the three leading country teams.

never mind found it.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
quick question, does the winner of the aussie comp come from just the games played between the aussie teams or does it include the games against other conferences as well?

All games...

All games against all teams.

Drilling deeper into the superxv.com site we come upon:

The winner of each geographical conference will qualify for the finals/playoffs. The next best three teams on the overall Super Rugby table will be awarded wildcard entrances to the finals.

In week 1 of the finals the two conference winners with the highest points will be rewarded with a week off.

The conference winner with the lowest points or the third placed team will enter a sudden death play off with the sixth placed team.

So the answer to waratahjesus's question is that "the winner of the aussie comp come from just the games played between the aussie teams". The alternative would not make sense.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think that's right, Bruce.

If you look at each geographical conference table, the standings include both intra-conference and cross-conference games.

It's similar to the NFL conference system.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think that's right, Bruce.

If you look at each geographical conference table, the standings include both intra-conference and cross-conference games.

It's similar to the NFL conference system.

Oops! My mistook. Thank you, kiap. My rather limp defence is that I try to ignore most things American.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Oops! My mistook. Thank you, kiap. My rather limp defence is that I try to ignore most things American.

No worries, brother - I think we're all still figuring out how this system will pan out, TBH. As for the Yanks, we just keep borrowing stuff off 'em. But we're allowed to protest as we go.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Brumbies are still in the top 6!

Ha!

Must admit, my first thought was it's not such an achievement given there are 5 in the conference :p

Good on you for finding something positive to latch onto. Of course a loss this week could see you dangling around 10th and potentially last in the conference, but best not to dwell on that eh... :D

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
http://www.superxv.com/table/
this is the best ive seen so far, no need for the conference

I agree it would be nice to do away with the three conference tables and give punters all they need to know in one table. After this weekend, if the Tahs lose, it's very likely that the top three will all be from Sth Africa, and then it won't look so good. It's conceivable for a team to be outside the top six but actually third, and the team that's third actually fifth!

Status
Not open for further replies.