• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Trial Rebels v Brumbies 23JAN20 Greenfield Park Albury 345pm

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rebels only giving their A team 40mins on the pitch is interesting given they played the B team last week.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've gotten slack with my updates, but with a couple of more tries to the Brumbies they're running away with it..........

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Like last week against the Reds, i dont think you can read much into this 2nd half... Rebels swapped almost their entire team at half time

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don’t think Erasmus will make the next step in his hooking journey. His set piece is diabolical

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like last week against the Reds, i dont think you can read much into this 2nd half. Rebels swapped almost their entire team at half time

The Brumbies have really only been running away with it in the last quarter though with their reserves on...........

But I think it's fair to say that the Brumbies reserves, many of whom make up the Vikings NRC team and generally more experienced, are a level above the Rebels replacements.

Another try to Hansen, and the Brumbies have scored almost 30 points in the last 10 minutes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That'll be that.........

Rebels 14 - Brumbies 47

It was a fairly tight affair up until the last quarter.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good game. Brumbies have a lot of depth it’s rather impressive to see.

Rebels did alright, they were simply just outclassed after half time. I hope the preferred 23 has enough miles in their legs for round 1. I suspect Wessels is looking at next week as another week his players can get some rust out against the Sunpuppies. I just hope it isn’t taking them lightly

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know its a trial but still did nothing to change my view that rebels talent on paper does not translate into same quality as a team as they continually look disjointed and lack cohesion.

I actually do wonder if Wessels is such a good coach or at least right coach for the Rebels as for all the talent at his disposal can't seem to make them click as a team. I find the Rebels difficult to watch last season and feel they could be the same again this season.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not filled with confidence after that effort. Set piece very ordinary, certainly need Smith, Ainsley, Uelese back to bolster the scrum. Erasmus has a long way to go with his throwing.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not filled with confidence after that effort. Set piece very ordinary, certainly need Smith, Ainsley, Uelese back to bolster the scrum. Erasmus has a long way to go with his throwing.
I wouldn’t worry about it. The TH pecking order will be Smith, Ainsley, Fa’amasuili then Eloff. Hooker will be Uelese, Rangi, Moore, Erasmus.

Naisarani looked close to the best player on the field in a team that was getting dominated.

Brumbies will be a replica of the past few seasons. They really are a quality franchise.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That'll be that...

Rebels 14 - Brumbies 47 45

Not sure if a sign of what's going on at then Rebels, but when your own commentary team and scorers are against you........:D

The locals had it right on the ground scoreboard and all the announcements. Kuenzel missed his first conversation but on the "stream" the conversation banner came up and the points added.

But the the best was left until last: (count the tries and try scorers, then conversations ;) ).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That'll be that...

Rebels 14 - Brumbies 47 45 (fixed)

Not sure if a sign of what's going on at then Rebels, but when your own commentary team and scorers are against you........:D

The locals had it right on the ground scoreboard and all the announcements. Kuenzel missed his first conversation but on the "stream" the conversation banner came up and the points added.

But the the best was left until last: (count the tries and try scorers, then conversations ;) ).

Capture.JPG

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Will have to go back through the stream again, because even on that graphic they’re missing a try scorer and conversion...........

Here we go.........

Plus500 Brumbies 45 (Tries: Douglas, Sio, Pulu, Muirhead 2, Neville, Hansen; Conversions: Lolesio 2, Kuenzle 2, Lonergan) def Melbourne Rebels 14 (Tries: Koroibete, Tikoirtuma; Conversions: Hodge, Deegan)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I really like the depth and cohesion the Brumbies showed. Add in some potential like Kata and the growing maturity and experience in the likes of Wright, Lolesio etc.. and I just think they have something going on in Canberra that could be special.

I agree with Rugbynutter39 somewhat in that I like elements of the Rebels but it just doesn't seem to stick together quiet as well. I can see the potential and talent but just some of the passing and interplay didn't look up to snuff, particularly once you look past the starting 15. The set piece, missing players aside is a little concerning. There really isn't a lot of time to gel in the Super season so I hope Wessels is able to get it all humming soon.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Wessels use of trials and the NRC is impeachable.

He used a similar strategy last year and that worked out pretty well. In the first five rounds last season the Rebels had a bye, beat the Brumbies twice, beat the Highlanders and were cheated out of a win against the Lions. Can't blame the preseason games for the wheels falling off after that.

I was as annoyed as everyone else with the team we rolled out against the Reds but I suspect Wessels is looking at the round one game against the Sunwolves as the real trial game.

Here's the Sunwolves team for their preseason match tomorrow:

83429088_2883398251712631_7596281061823217664_o.jpg

Can't disagree with you regarding the NRC though :(

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought it was fine what he did. He got 40 minutes out of his top line players against quality opposition. It was a hot mid January day in Albury. I think he can be excused not risking injuries to them or worse, getting 5 weeks for a tackle in the dying minutes of the game.

Get the players some live contact, shake out the cobwebs and roll on to play a very depleted moonpuppies side that will put up less of a fight than the Brumby Runners.