1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney CBDs new Drinking Laws

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JSRF10, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Bullrush Jim Lenehan (48)

Yeah...the baxing fans hate that shit.

C'mon Scoey - this is NO DIFFERENT to boxing. Fans of both codes LOVE seeing a guy getting brutally knocked out. As do the participants.

Every boxer who steps in teh ring wants to knock the other guy out, They don't want wins by decision or by TKOs - they want to drop the other guy in the middle of the ring. If they don't they usually don't last very long.
  2. Scoey Tony Shaw (54)

We're getting OT but that's BS. The percentage of knockouts in the UFC where the guy is out stone cold and has fallen to the ground and the other guy follows him down to hammer fist him a couple more times in the face/head would be in the 90's. Again, it's not the competition of fight itself it's the promotion and glorification of the brutality of the knockout that is the problem. There is a minority of fans that see this part and it gives them a hard on. When they go out juiced up on whatever they like to see guys get knocked out. I see it all the time.
    ChargerWA likes this.
  3. Runner Nev Cottrell (35)

One is boxing with its rules. UFC has rules but not at the same level of intervention as boxing.
  4. Bullrush Jim Lenehan (48)

Again, just because someone is or isn't knocked to ground make no difference.

Look at boxing matches where guys are caught flush but don't drop then spend the next 30sec getting smashed. They get saved by the bell so get a few more sec of trying to get their vision cleared and all 3 of their opponents they can see lined up into one again then step out to try and turn it around.

Have you actually ever boxed or done UFC?
  5. Scoey Tony Shaw (54)

Can't agree that's there's no difference. The two sports whilst they look similar they are completely different in key areas. I know plenty of people who love boxing but despise UFC and vice versa. But we are definitely getting OT so I'm happy to agree to disagree with you. :)
    Bullrush likes this.
  6. Train Without a Station Steve Williams (59)

I like the last line. The Matt Burke response.
    Scoey and Braveheart81 like this.
  7. Train Without a Station Steve Williams (59)

I think you're argument is ridiculous Bullrush. The portion of times a boxer is able to get back to his feet, yet is still dazed would be a very small minority, much like the portion of times a fighter is knocked to the ground with a hit but perfectly conscious.
  8. Bullrush Jim Lenehan (48)

Really?! Did I say that you shouldn't comment unless you have boxed or done MMA?

I'll say that the answer to my question must be 'No' then.
    So boxing fans getting hyped about seeing someone get knocked the f**k out is completely different to UFC fans getting hyped about seeing someone get knocked the f**k out?!

While it seems OT, the point being made about these coward hits is that it is somehow related to the rise in popularity of the UFC. That if you have a 'Tap-Out' shirt one, you must:
    a) be a UFC fan
    b) be more likely to throw a coward punch
    Scoey likes this.
  9. Train Without a Station Steve Williams (59)

Haven't the last few accused been MMA fighters/fans? I know the last one was.
    ChargerWA likes this.
  10. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

OK guys don't think we are getting anywhere here, time to wrap it up or start a new thread.

There was a protest in the CBD today against the laws, reckon about 60-70 people were there. They made the classic error of having some scruffy bloke in his 20s on a megaphone leading the thing.

Ultimately this is the worst thing you can do to try and get the public on your side I reckon- it would have been far smarter to get a publican in a suit and tie talking about how the laws will affect their business and livelihood. No-one cares about scruffy blokes who are annoyed they can't get pissed at 4am, but they do care about people and business losing $$ and people losing jobs.
    Runner likes this.
  11. Bullrush Jim Lenehan (48)

If you haven't boxed the you probably do think it's ridiculous :)

Again, you can be dazed and still standing and not 'perfectly conscious' eg. not go to the ground.

Just like you can get knocked to the ground and not be knocked out. In fact, it happens all the time in boxing.
  12. boyo Mark Ella (57)

Rap spelt with a silent "c".
  13. Train Without a Station Steve Williams (59)

Read this article a few days ago, it probably more succinctly discussed my link to UFC/MMA but doesn't get too caught up on that element of it like I had

http://www.news.com.au/national/dav...of-gutless-thugs/story-fncynjr2-1226806050689
    terry j, ChargerWA and boyo like this.
  14. Runner Nev Cottrell (35)

No UFC in Mozart's day
  15. BPC Phil Hardcastle (33)

n=1
  16. Ruggo Mark Ella (57)

Tough issue this and Sydney isn't unique in this issue. I can't be to critical of a government for having a go at dealing with it.

The party drugs seem to be more of an issue than grog. An agressive drunk as unsavory as they may be are pretty easy to drop on their arse. Some of the physical reactions some of these horrifying party drugs have the opposite effect.

Personally I don't see the allure of overpriced drinks and shitty doof doof music anyways but that's just me.
  17. JSRF10 Dick Tooth (41)

So the lockout laws cant actually be implemented until April 30th. You'd swear these were rushed through and ill thought out
    Inside Shoulder likes this.
  18. boyo Mark Ella (57)

It's a mixture of alcohol, drugs, mindset, upbringing, etc.

To focus on only one of these (to the exclusion of all the others) is problematic.
  19. Train Without a Station Steve Williams (59)

The point many are getting at though boyo, is that alcohol and even excessive drinking has been a part of modern culture in Australia, as long as we have had a modern culture. The problem has never been so widespread as today.

To say it's the major issue, pays far too little attention to the other 3 items you mentioned, which have certainly changed over time.

Upbringing is also a major issue I think. The loss of discipline in generations is a big factor. Baby boomers grew up with disciplinarian parents, many of whom had fathers that were in the war. They grew up despising what they considered a harsh upbringing and told themselves they'd never be as hard on their children, which has resulted in poorer behaviour in Gen X and Gen Y.

It's resulted in a generation of brats with an inflated sense of entitlement and no willingness to take responsibility for their own actions.

Gen X parents have then been softer on discipline again.

One can only imagine what types of children my generation, Gen Y will bring up.
  20. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

“Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.”

Cicero, 106-43 BC

All of this is nothing new. From an excellent article by a mate of @jnor

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/01/03/comment-no-quick-and-easy-fix-king-hit-culture

Dreaming up new legislation (like the crazy Bikie stuff in Qld) clearly can't fix it and just gives license for others to abuse those new powers.