• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Watched my first ever games of colts today
Parra V Gordon - 1sts & 2nds
i was very impressed with the skill and speed that these guys play the game.
Both Parra and Gordon clubs should be looking forward to these players stepping up to grade over the next coupe of seasons. Lots of talent.

As I said , was my fist time watching colts - wont be my last , enjoyed it big time

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
It was only 2 seasons ago that Parramatta were causing these issues and Gordon had 3 teams.
Clubs are aware when the byes are on and can plan accordingly
It's worse when you arrive at the ground and you find out a team doesn't have a 3rds side.

That is almost correct. While we were struggling we advised SRU in December we only had 2 grades so clubs could plan accordingly. My bitch isn't with Gordon or Penrith, it's with the boneheads at NSW/SRU who are happy to allow 2 byes every weekend where a meerkat with a broken ruler and half a chewed crayon could have devised a solution.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Penrith holding Uni to less than 80 must be almost like a victory to the Emus given their recent record against the Students.

Penrith won plenty of the collisions. They have some seriously big cattle!

In further news. I heard gossip that Uni Colts 4ths will play badged for Balmain but still train with Uni and etc. Only gossip, I am no insider.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1st Grade Colts Results Round 1
Randwick 14 v Eastern Suburbs 28
Northern Suburbs 29 v Eastwood 32
Gordon 22 v Parramatta 51
Sydney University 71 v Penrith 0
Manly 21 v Southern Districts 24
West Harbour 24 v Warringah 10

2nd Grade Colts Results Round 1
Randwick 24 v Eastern Suburbs 0
Northern Suburbs 19 v Eastwood 5
Gordon 19 v Parramatta 24
Sydney University 50 v Penrith 5
Manly 10 v Southern Districts 21
West Harbour 38 v Warringah 5

3rd Grade Colts Results Round 1
Randwick 24 v Eastern Suburbs 7
Northern Suburbs 10 v Eastwood 17
Parramatta v Bye
Sydney University v Bye
Manly 17 v Southern Districts 20
West Harbour 24 v Warringah 10

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yesterday was perhaps as good a day as Penrith could have hoped for to start 2014 against the SUFC juggernaut. Given that in round 2 last year vs SUFC we lost Colt 2 by a 100 and forfeited colts 1 clearly the only way was up.

We negotiated with SUFC to play both Colts & grade at Penrith and the visitors were met with good hospitality from the Penrith locals. The colts at Penrith are now overseen by the Penrith district juniors so we saw investment in new sideline tables, new benches, sideline ropes, marquees, a new ground set up, and new field dressings for 2014.

As SUFC said after the game "when they turned up it was clear that Penrith colts were well organised and ready to play". Also in 2014 Visiting colts teams also receive free cartons of bottled water and soft drinks on match day from the PDJRU.

On the field the matches went to script and in both Colts 1 @ 2 the score at 1/2 time was 26 -0 & 24 -0 respectively before the superior fitness & skills of SUFC ran way with the games in the second half.

In summary we are not the first & certainly will not be the last team to be soundly defeated by SUFC. However, yesterday the Penrith lads probably acquitted themselves as well as could be expected with some players definitely rising to the challenge.

Having been around Colts now for 6 months two observations I would make is that the atmosphere on gala days (when colts & grade play at the same venue) is immensely superior to normal colts rounds and should be played more (where possible) and that the timings of colts games on gala days should be adjusted (where possible) so that all teams should be able to watch 1st grade play.

IMHO a better atmosphere and a stronger link to the grade competition is something that would benefit the colts in SRU.

Bring on round 2........

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
It was only 2 seasons ago that Parramatta were causing these issues and Gordon had 3 teams.
It's worse when you arrive at the ground and you find out a team doesn't have a 3rds side.

Please read the posts before slinging mud towards Parramatta. Nobody has said it is Penrith or Gordon's fault. It's great that Gordon now have a second grade side.The problem lies with the pathetic and unaccountable administration of the game in not preparing for what most hoped wouldn't happen but did. The clubs need to bring these people to account for their lack of foresight and planning.

Continued indifference to these young players such as that shown in this case will have more teams turning up to find no 3rds games as the kids look for something to do each Saturday, not every second weekend.

Parramatta rang Uni on a number of occasions last week but since Baden Stephenson has left the Corporation, apparently no one picks up the phone.

The obvious answer to why Parramatta have 3 byes in the first 6 rounds is because they play Gordon twice.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Cattledog, here's me posting that Colts should be taking over SJRU U16 and above competitions, and here is you proving that Juniors can be effective, and actually taking over running of your local colts. Sheesh, what's a man to do?

Perhaps I can keep the same theory, and say that there should be one competent organisation running Under 16 and above rugby in Sydney, whether Colts or Juniors doesn't matter, organisational competency is more important than the organisational label. The Traffic control wardens on the "young men" part of "The Pathway" from "little boys" to "Men" need to be working together to a common aim.

How many of the Penrith Rugby Academy you set up last year made the transition from 2013 U17's to 2014 Colts?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Both Parra and Gordon clubs should be looking forward to these players stepping up to grade over the next coupe of seasons. Lots of talent.

As I said , was my fist time watching colts - wont be my last , enjoyed it big time

Carnival Super Saturdays are a great idea and work to build club spirit. If all 3 colts grades start early, they allow the young up and comers to see the pathway in its full glory, and can even help with providing opportunities for limited cameos of promising Colts players into grade games. With Colts 1 kick offs at 3 pm on the opposite side of town, many Colts supporters never get to watch the 1st grade play, or contribute to club culture and atmosphere at the big game.

What Clubs do not have a nearby "No 2 Oval" for Super Saturdays?
West Harbour - Concord and St Lukes are adjacent
Penrith - Nepean Rugby Park has 2 ovals
Gordon - Chatswood Oval and Where is the second oval?
Eastwood - Two ovals at TG Millner (soon to be a construction site?)
Randwick - Coogee Oval and Latham Park (about 2km away)
Northern Suburbs - North Sydney Oval and the one over the back
Southern Districts - Two ovals at Foreshaw. Is the back oval full size?
Warringah - Kakadu National Park would fit inside Rat Park.
Parramatta - Two Ovals at Merrylands RSL Oval
Manly - Manly Oval and Kierle Park (about 2 km away)
Eastern Suburbs -Two ovals at Woollahra. Is the back oval available on Saturdays due to Colleagues and Convicts use?
Sydney University - No 1 and St Pauls

I reckon that nearly all clubs could do the Super Saturday concept with both Colts and Grade playing in close proximity.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)

Please read the posts before slinging mud towards Parramatta. Nobody has said it is Penrith or Gordon's fault. It's great that Gordon now have a second grade side.The problem lies with the pathetic and unaccountable administration of the game in not preparing for what most hoped wouldn't happen but did. The clubs need to bring these people to account for their lack of foresight and planning.

Continued indifference to these young players such as that shown in this case will have more teams turning up to find no 3rds games as the kids look for something to do each Saturday, not every second weekend.

Parramatta rang Uni on a number of occasions last week but since Baden Stephenson has left the Corporation, apparently no one picks up the phone.

The obvious answer to why Parramatta have 3 byes in the first 6 rounds is because they play Gordon twice.
I didn't sling mud, I pointed out you are blowing up at the administration when the clubs agreed not to change the draw
Most clubs go through this each year and deal with it
I would also think that if each club plays every club once in the first round that there is 2 byes for each club then the draw has a typo error?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Just looking at that Parra v Gordon scoreline in 1sts colts causes me some concerns.
The score suggests a flogging but your report is more heartening.
was it a late blowout or what?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Carnival Super Saturdays are a great idea and work to build club spirit. If all 3 colts grades start early, they allow the young up and comers to see the pathway in its full glory, and can even help with providing opportunities for limited cameos of promising Colts players into grade games. With Colts 1 kick offs at 3 pm on the opposite side of town, many Colts supporters never get to watch the 1st grade play, or contribute to club culture and atmosphere at the big game.

What Clubs do not have a nearby "No 2 Oval" for Super Saturdays?
West Harbour - Concord and St Lukes are adjacent
Penrith - Nepean Rugby Park has 2 ovals
Gordon - Chatswood Oval and Where is the second oval? Beauchamp - but Chatswood subbies (I assume they still play there). Colts often played there in my day but sometimes on Sunday - i seem to recall Willoughby council would not let Chatswood be used on a Sunday
Eastwood - Two ovals at TG Millner (soon to be a construction site?) Epping Boys High - colts were played there in the old days and the backfields at Macquarie Uni
Randwick - Coogee Oval and Latham Park (about 2km away)
Northern Suburbs - North Sydney Oval and the one over the back #2
Southern Districts - Two ovals at Foreshaw. Is the back oval full size?
Warringah - Kakadu National Park would fit inside Rat Park.
Parramatta - Two Ovals at Merrylands RSL Oval
Manly - Manly Oval and Kierle Park (about 2 km away)
Eastern Suburbs -Two ovals at Woollahra. Is the back oval available on Saturdays due to Colleagues and Convicts use? But there is a 3rd field only used for juniors
Sydney University - No 1 and St Pauls

I reckon that nearly all clubs could do the Super Saturday concept with both Colts and Grade playing in close proximity.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
@Cattledog, here's me posting that Colts should be taking over SJRU U16 and above competitions, and here is you proving that Juniors can be effective, and actually taking over running of your local colts. Sheesh, what's a man to do?

Perhaps I can keep the same theory, and say that there should be one competent organisation running Under 16 and above rugby in Sydney, whether Colts or Juniors doesn't matter, organisational competency is more important than the organisational label. The Traffic control wardens on the "young men" part of "The Pathway" from "little boys" to "Men" need to be working together to a common aim.

How many of the Penrith Rugby Academy you set up last year made the transition from 2013 U17's to 2014 Colts?

Thanks Hugh small but fairly good steps so far. In regards to the U17's we have had a few return but a number have not and have chosen to go elsewhere for various reasons (subbies, work, uni ,other colts & league). Oh well we can only do so much in a smalll space of time to make ourselves lovable (so to speak).

In regards to U16 - U18's there is again talk of a Premier / District U18's comp that may be connected to Colts & Shute Shield. It has come up at several meetings (NSWSRU / SJRU) that a quallity district U18 comp (on a saturday) for those young blokes who do not attend large rugby playing schools might be of benefit on a number of levels.

Clearly a quality (and intense) district comp for Yr 11 & 12's (or U16 - U18) who do not attend large rugby playing schools would be of benefit in providing another player stream into colts & also be of great benefit for the development of the lads who reside outside the mainstream rugby schools. The obvious benefits to CCC, CHS, & AICES students would be undeniable.

I think this concept will get traction (in some areas) but for those clubs who have a strong relationship with the schools network the buy in may not be as great.

However, in my deallings with clubs everyone is talking about ways to connect with players from non taditional pathways so perhaps a comp which has to be filled with players from non rugby playing schools is great place to start.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Just looking at that Parra v Gordon scoreline in 1sts colts causes me some concerns.
The score suggests a flogging but your report is more heartening.
was it a late blowout or what?

Early blowout.
Parra ran away with the first half. Gordon put in a strong second.
Parra did go to sleep a little in the second half, Which Gordon made the most of

Over all Parra looked very strong.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Eastwood v norths, 3rds- norths possibly should have won but switched off in the second half. Both played pretty good rugby, but infringements cost woods in first half and norths in second. Dominated by backs with both have small forwards. 2nds- woods just could not match forwards, and norths backs fed off this. Woods finished well, and norths discipline wad ordinary, penalty count well against the visitors. Norths definately should have scored at least 3 tries but faltered over the line. 1sts - woodies dominated all areas in first half, with slick back running rings around norths. The visitors clicked in the second half, and the game was a real battle. This wad a great game to watch. Real aggression and a physical battle.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I didn't sling mud, I pointed out you are blowing up at the administration when the clubs agreed not to change the draw
I would also think that if each club plays every club once in the first round that there is 2 byes for each club then the draw has a typo error?

The Clubs didn't get a chance to agree to anything as they were sent a directive from Lisa Kane (?) 4 days from kick off for round 1 and telling them how the comp would now play out. There view is that clubs can just organise a couple of friendly trials in the middle of a season. This is no different to last year when they decided to finish the third grade comp at the end of 11 games only for the clubs to come up with a workable solution to get everyone to the finals with some equality. If the clubs can do it why can't officialdom? Maybe they just don't care because it's got nothing to do with the Waratah brand. Can you imagine the NRL or AFL treating its junior participants this way, please.

Rather than think about the draw, how about you actually research it properly and then get back to me on whether it's a typo.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)

The Clubs didn't get a chance to agree to anything as they were sent a directive from Lisa Kane (?) 4 days from kick off for round 1 and telling them how the comp would now play out. There view is that clubs can just organise a couple of friendly trials in the middle of a season. This is no different to last year when they decided to finish the third grade comp at the end of 11 games only for the clubs to come up with a workable solution to get everyone to the finals with some equality. If the clubs can do it why can't officialdom? Maybe they just don't care because it's got nothing to do with the Waratah brand. Can you imagine the NRL or AFL treating its junior participants this way, please.

Rather than think about the draw, how about you actually research it properly and then get back to me on whether it's a typo.
I don't know if it's a typo, how come parra are playing Gordon twice in the first round?

Schoolofhardknocks

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was lucky enough to be at Manly on Saturday to see some great rugby played in somewhat hot conditions with Manly taking on Southern in went the way of southern in all 3 colts grades and while there was some scrappy rugby played at time Southern surely showed why they have won all their trail matches against West Harbor and Easts they where solid in the forwards and threw the ball around and made opportunity's for them selves when it mattered anyway no predations about the season yet onto Rats Park next week and take it week by week well done Southern they have recruited well in the off season with some handy players.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I was lucky enough to be at Manly on Saturday to see some great rugby played in somewhat hot conditions with Manly taking on Southern in went the way of southern in all 3 colts grades and while there was some scrappy rugby played at time Southern surely showed why they have won all their trail matches against West Harbor and Easts they where solid in the forwards and threw the ball around and made opportunity's for them selves when it mattered anyway no predations about the season yet onto Rats Park next week and take it week by week well done Southern they have recruited well in the off season with some handy players.
That's one seriously long sentence there SOHK.
Nice report though.

Status
Not open for further replies.