• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Almost clean sweep for the Home Teams.

Scorelines of 113-0 do little for both teams. At about 60-0 white line fever usually creeps in with teams losing their team structures and selfish plays becoming the norm. Unlike semi-opposed training sessions, there are no coaches with a whistle on the park to stop the training session to reset and remind players to keep to the game plan.

Emus were 0-36 in Second Grade Colts.
Northern Suburbs beat West Harbour by 34 - 5 in Second Grade Colts.
I''m predicting that the Emus will win a few games in Colts 2 this year.

The Corporation, Hobbits, Wicks, and Shoremen seem to be the teams to watch in Colts 1 for 2015. While many of the current NSW U20 players will probably go to Grade rather than Colts when they are released from State or National U20 duty, it is looking like the GF will most likely be Peters of Kensington v Buildcorp.

Great to see Emus and the Highlanders with a full complement of teams. Hope Rats recruit the numbers to make up a viable Colts 3 team. It has been a while since there hasn't been a bye in that Competition.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
The good news for Penrith is that they had three teams. All three games started with Penrith doing well, but as with last year, they fell away at the end. They have plenty of big boppas with all the skills, but defence falls away as tiredness sets in.
Somewhere back in this thread someone suggested that Penrith take the bye in 1sts and compete in 2nd and 3rds. I like the idea and think it would be good for the short and long term of Penrith Rugby and therefore Shute Shield. It also looked to me that Penrith could put an 18's team together.
Anyhow, hang in there Emus.

The major success is that Penrith have three teams and we all know that there's a long way to go in season 2015. There will be wins and losses but (sheeeeesh!) SUFC are a juggernaut.

I had a sneaky peak at the SUFC coaches teamsheet - on top of the 45 players selected they had another 40+ colts age players listed as reserves, injured or unavailable! For crying out loud - they just about had more reserves & blokes unavailable than we had actual players!!!

However, with most of the Penrith boys playing their first real games of SRU colts rugby this was a massive learning curve that the boys will certainly grow from especially given the large number of boys who have another 2 or 3 years of colts in front of them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last time I looked there were almost as many students at UNSW as there are at Sydney Uni (to the nearest 5000). UTS, Macquarie, and UWS all have around the same number of students as well (approx 30000). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Australia_by_enrollment#New_South_Wales

Macquarie, UWS and UNSW all had teams at the recent Laffen Cup.
Wicks seem to have aligned with UNSW.
I think Gordon is aligning with Macquarie Uni.

Could Easts "partner" up with UTS, and the Emus do similar with UWS to get access to potential player numbers and University sporting facilities?

I know that there are issues with reserves backing up and the like, but if Buildcorp have another 40 ish colts who can't get a gig in the "normal" 55 player club colts roster (3 x 15 + 10 on Colts 3 bench), then they should seriously consider running a Uni Gold and Uni Blue (in lieu of Rats Colts 3).

At least there would be another game each week for 50 kids instead of a bye for the team rostored to play the Rats Colts 3's and the surplus lads from The Corporation that miss out on the game day 55 who are not even qualifying to sit on their Colts 3 Bench.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I know that there are issues with reserves backing up and the like, but if Buildcorp have another 40 ish colts who can't get a gig in the "normal" 55 club teams (3 x 15 + 10 on Colts 3 bench), then they should seriously consider running a Uni Gold and Uni Blue (in lieu of Rats Colts 3).

At least there would be another game each week for 50 kids instead of a bye for the team rostored to play the Rats Colts 3's and the surplus lads from The Corporation that miss out on the game day 55 who are not even qualifying to sit on their Colts 3 Bench.
Absolute agreement. Great idea.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cattle Dog,
Is there a particular reason the club elected to play in 1's,2's and 3's,in preference to 2's,3's and 18's?

I don't think that offer was ever on the table from the SRU. It would have been something to consider.

However, a couple of years back the club asked to play Colts 1 & Colts 3 and were told no that it had to be colts 1 & 2. So I don't think we would have got a favorable hearing.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
One of the issues with the U/18's being administered by SJRU, no results published in the Sunday papers.
How hard could it be?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Last time I looked there were almost as many students at UNSW as there are at Sydney Uni (to the nearest 5000). UTS, Macquarie, and UWS all have around the same number of students as well (approx 30000). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Australia_by_enrollment#New_South_Wales

Could Easts "partner" up with UTS, and the Emus do similar with UWS to get access to potential player numbers and University sporting facilities?

I know that there are issues with reserves backing up and the like, but if Buildcorp have another 40 ish colts who can't get a gig in the "normal" 55 player club colts roster (3 x 15 + 10 on Colts 3 bench), then they should seriously consider running a Uni Gold and Uni Blue (in lieu of Rats Colts 3).

Gordon could potentially have excess as well from the four teams they have. FYI Gordon is in it's third year of a sponsorship agreement that is working well with UTS.

The Rays are with Macquarie Uni and do get access to scholarships which in return potentially get supplied to it's four member clubs as well.

Brett Kenna

Frank Row (1)

Gordon are aligned with UTS, or were last year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think that offer was ever on the table from the SRU. It would have been something to consider.

However, a couple of years back the club asked to play Colts 1 & Colts 3 and were told no that it had to be colts 1 & 2. So I don't think we would have got a favorable hearing.
Really?
I'm obviously getting old,as my recollection from 4 or 5 years ago,you guys fielded a 2's team & I thought a 3's,but definitely not 1's?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can see that if there is a bye in Colts 1 that the week a club has the Bye there will be a lot of Colts 1 level players playing Colts 2, with flow on seeing Colts 2 players running around in the Colts 3, just to make sure that the Emus don't sneak a victory in the 2s or 3s. Easy enough done within the existing Player Points Cap.

For every sensible idea, there will be others who will see advantage in manipulating that idea to their own advantage.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
When Gordon had one Colts side and even two the club I remember was reasonably open to playing games all at the one venue. The other clubs didn't really like that though as having those colts players infiltrating the grade numbers wasn't ideal for them. Last year wasn't too bad but the year before the 1 side the club had in colts was actually not a bad side until injuries cruelled the end of the season.

Garza

Stan Wickham (3)
The result at Penrith is a disgrace. Teams are gross mismatches because the points system is useless . Men against boys does not work. The randwick colts 1 forwards are man size , the majority of teams are schoolboy size. Dodgy islander birth dates suspected.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Garza, welcome to the forum. Please be careful with gross stereotypical generalisations.

The Randwick Colts 1 Forwards were published as:
1. Cambell Shearer
2. Nick Koutsoukais
3. Jackson Parkes
4. Patrick Kava
5. Beau Petterson
6. Dan Hughes
7. Jum Woodhill
8. Hame Tali

Not many "Dodgy Islander" sounding names there.

If you were the SRU, what would you do to fix the useless Player Points system?

Garza

Stan Wickham (3)
The points system needs to be replaced by a salary cap with open disclosure by clubs of payments including scholarships etc. the inequities between clubs would then at least be open for all to see and a two their system set up so rich v rich and poor v poor clubs . Otherwise eg Penrith colts players will walk and Penrith will never be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.