• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have we lost another to The Darkness?
From the Class of 2013: -
Michael KENNEDY, St Ignatius' College, NSW I, AAGPS. 2014: Uni , Colts 2
He was the 9 for the Corporation Colts 1 in the GF last year.

Last weeks team lists for The Corporation had no Michael Kennedy in them, neither Colts or Grade.

A NZ Under 20 rugby google search found this fellow playing at 9 for the Auckland Blues U20 side
http://www.aucklandrugby.co.nz/News/2015-2-24/16-named-in-Blues-Under-20-side.aspx
9. Mike Kennedy (Auckland)

Is this another Stu Devine in the making?

He could be joining David Morris (New), Cam Skelton (Hills Sports High) from the Class of 2013 that are now over the Tasman in some sort of academy. Both the former apparently with the Chiefs academy, and Kennedy in Auckland.

We must be doing something right with our youth development if the Kiwis are poaching our talented young men.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Both HJ and ILTW have our Corp flogging Easts. Can you tell me why please? I thought Easts went OK last year - about middle of the pack - and Uni have a lot of new players just starting with the Corp.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought last week was a disappointing result for the Beasties,I am not yet convinced about Gordon this year.
My impression is that Uni are much more forward in their preparation,and will kill the Beasties on the fast break.
Doesn't mean I am right,just an opinion backed by very little data.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought last week was a disappointing result for the Beasties,I am not yet convinced about Gordon this year.
My impression is that Uni are much more forward in their preparation,and will kill the Beasties on the fast break.
Doesn't mean I am right,just an opinion backed by very little data.
It is true that if the Corp get a roll on in the forwards their backs can become devastating through speed - both in kmh and execution.
I will be there tomorrow and will jot down a few thoughts when I get back.
Good luck to all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What he said, plus Beasties were monstered by Wicks in PreSeason by 50 something to 19 something. Despite a lot of "new" players in their roster, last years Buildcorp only just put a tonne on Emus while leaking 17 points, not this year. Hugh Summerhayes, fresh out of the Corporations Summer 7's programme, is an excellent young player and up against many of his former Cranbrook mates, he should dominate in the loose play.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
The discussion here on whether clubs have an expectation that junior rep players continue to play for said club as seniors is a by product of what is wrong with rugby to a degree at the moment.

Unfortunately, we have 2 clubs who have an overkill on influencing where talented junior players have to play if they want to continue into the professional ranks. I'm not interested in a debate on the rights or wrongs about how each club is able to exercise their buying power on the open market, it exists and we all know it.

Other clubs cannot match this level of influence so the argument of others stepping up to the same levels and creating similar programs holds no water. Thus we have 100+ scorelines being recorded.

The guardians of the game (NSWRU) need to step in and create a system that allows the talent to be distributed in an even way and the only way to do this is to bring in cap limitations per club annually.

Clubs must be restricted from openly dominating the talent pool of available junior players each year. If a club wants to recruit 5 of last years Aust Schoolboys then each club must nominate which level they intend to play each player (and they stay there) before round 1 commences and the cap points need to be applied through a sensible schedule with no allowances made.

If Gordon where to have the mentioned players at their disposal it may well not be because of any other reason than where their parents chose to live. This in itself could also be seen as an advantage that other clubs don't have and would fuel a different debate again.

Somewhere out there is enough commonsense to devise a plan that permits players to play where they want without fear of being forgotten and a more even distribution of playing talent.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I can prove that Jackson is not Tongan, but a fair dinkum player of Indigenous "stock". This photo was taken in 2013 when Jacko, and Bennie played for NSW in the Lloyd McDermott Australian Indigenous Championships.

Lloyd McDermott (centre) was the first every Indigenous Wallaby, and won a lot of respect when he refused to have anything to do with the Springboks because of their racial 'problems'.

Don't worry about the red headed Bennie on the other side, I know his father quite well and he is of Irish Stock (with VERY strong genes) :) :)

Dear Butts

Please look up the word....

SARCASM

In the dictionary, and reread my post :)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
@Gibbo,

If your assertions above (#289) are correct, then I unreservedly apologise.

I may well have taken some of @Brian Westlake's comments at #261 on board in my comments - however, I did infer from your comment at #252 "that 7 out of 10 are Gordon Juniors" as implying some sort of responsibilty for their development - and maybe inferring "some sort of ownership" was a bridge to far.

Again, as I tried to stress on my comments - they weren't aimed at you personally in any way shape or form - they were aimed at the "perceptions" - mine anyway - that District Clubs have had any significant role in the development of many Junior players. I don't believe they have.

Given that Reps only applies to a very small majority of Village Club players (generally speaaking) - surely we should be recogniizing and developing the other 95% odd group of children who DON'T play Reps - to try and keep them involved and providing the player mass required at the base of the pyramid which is rugby for enjoyment purposes - rather than the very small % of players who are (indeed extremely) fortunate enough to be involved at a professional level ?

PS - Hope the Highlanders continue their good form into Rd 2 - and that the actions taken by the FOG's etc bring renewed depth to a very worthy Club.

Cheers
The Hound
Honourable Jaghond. You are a good man.
I, on the other hand, read a cynical shot across the bow.
I have never seen a Gordon player help out on the Central Coast with development of juniors at Terrigal or Avoca?
They should send those juniors they have plundered back to the coast to prop up Country Rugby!
Hang On!
There are few more if that be the case if you wish to lay claim to local juniors form the north of Mowbray road.

Alex Newsome is from Glen Innes (North Gordon)
Francis Brown and Josh Vainakolo are missing juniors as well!
Jack Redden must be a local junior too because he lived in the catchment area for 6 years as well, so you had best claim him via the Coonababran arm of North West Gordon.
Don't forget Jake McIntyre from Alstonville either from last years 20's ( Far North Gordon ). He drove through Gordon once.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Dear Butts
Please look up the word..
SARCASM
In the dictionary, and reread my post :)

No problems Mr Westlake . . . But I suggest you look up
Paranoia

Because you were never mentioned in my post :)

And reading through some of the posts over the last few days, I'm sensing that a Gordon player must have trod on your toe at some stage.You are certainly showing a distinct dislike of anything Stag :)

I really can't work out what you are saying about the Central Coast boys. How can you say that you've never seen a Gordon player on the coast helping out - and then suggest that the coast players have been plundered??? There are quite a few Coasties playing in Sydney - Jackson Parkes for instance was a Kariong player.

There are more teams than Terrigal and Avoca, and the Coast boys have just wandered up to their local train station and caught a quick train down to Chatswood station.

Josh Vainakolo by the way played for The Entrance, and played a number of trial games with Gordon to be with his mates, until the 'enticements' from a bit further south lured him away.

Bloody Gibbo - that grenade of his has certainly set a few "pants on fire".

Here endeth the sermon - bring on the rugby.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Honourable Jaghond. You are a good man.
I, on the other hand, read a cynical shot across the bow.
I have never seen a Gordon player help out on the Central Coast with development of juniors at Terrigal or Avoca?
They should send those juniors they have plundered back to the coast to prop up Country Rugby!
Hang On!
There are few more if that be the case if you wish to lay claim to local juniors form the north of Mowbray road.

Alex Newsome is from Glen Innes (North Gordon)
Francis Brown and Josh Vainakolo are missing juniors as well!
Jack Redden must be a local junior too because he lived in the catchment area for 6 years as well, so you had best claim him via the Coonababran arm of North West Gordon.
Don't forget Jake McIntyre from Alstonville either from last years 20's ( Far North Gordon ). He drove through Gordon once.

I think you will find a number of seasons ago Gordon actually provided financial support to the Central Coast Academy of Sport. Through Gordon's current arrangement and club sponsor Mingara the support of the Central Coast is continuing through games(last week Colts was at Mingara) & other things i.e coaching development programs etc.

Maybe do your research before firing off hand grenade's cluelessly everywhere.

Gordon offers the pathway for these players to play at Gordon as the closest club alongside the Woodies. Gordon do not expect these players to play at Gordon it asks a number of it's talented junior players if they would like to play in Sydney of which a number accept - Gordon enjoys a good reputation from my understanding at the moment on the Central Coast.

I am just remembering I am talking to a Randwick supporter here - a club that has relied on providing accommodation to country and out of area players for a very long time (I am not saying that is a bad thing).

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Aussie D
Just spoke with a couple of Central Coast academy players who said that they had to pay. For what they were not sure as their parents looked after this. So part funding might be a better line to say. If a young man, entering his tertiary education at UNSW and is offered to play at his closest club. Same line as you.

The Butts
In post #260 in reply to Garza saying that Randwick had a "Tonga" feel about them, I wrote, sarcastically, that both Dan Hughes (A Ranga) and Jackson Parkes ( a proud aboriginal) fitted his criteria.... NOT.

And as far as Coast boys just wandering up to the train station... Please give me a little more credit...

Bloody Gibbo...:) :) :)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Tips for round 2

Gordon v Eastwood
Gordon by 18.

Norths v Warringah
Warringah by <7. Genuine upset on the cards here

Manly v Penrith
Manly by 30.

Randwick v West Harbour
Wicks by <20. And only in the Second half this will happen. Close for 65 minutes

Parramatta v Southern Districts
Souths by <7 in the final minute. I agree with HJ on this one.

Sydney Uni v Easts.
Uni by .... write your own number here. Easts will not cross the Uni line.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Just home from Bowral.
Corp v Easts
Hugh Jarse and I Like to Watch called it correctly. Easts turned up to play and competed hard but, "full credit to the boys".
All three Easts scrums were destroyed.
3rds Uni by a few tries
2nds Uni about 55 to 7
1sts Uni about 42 to nil
Sorry I cannot be more specific, I went to Rugby News to check scores but that website is in the "wierds" at the moment.
any other results?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 2 Results

W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Eastwood 17 Gordon 22
Warringah 12 Northern Suburbs 76
Penrith 5 Manly 128
West Harbour 12 Randwick 69
Parramatta 17 Southern Districts 27
Eastern Suburbs 0 Sydney University 45

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Eastwood 20 Gordon 29
Warringah 10 Northern Suburbs 17
Penrith 32 Manly 32
West Harbour 7 Randwick 66
Parramatta 5 Southern Districts 10
Eastern Suburbs 7 Sydney University 55

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Eastwood 0 Gordon 52
Warringah 0 Northern Suburbs 28 (Won by Forfeit)
Penrith 15 Manly 20
West Harbour 0 Randwick 53
Parramatta 26 Southern Districts 17
Eastern Suburbs 10 Sydney University 36

Round 3 Games - 4 April
Northern Suburbs v Parramatta (Friday game)
Manly v Eastern Suburbs
Sydney University v Gordon
Southern Districts v Penrith
Warringah v Randwick
West Harbour v Eastwood

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I'll pick them early
Round 3 Games - 4 April
Manly v Eastern Suburbs
Warringah v Randwick
West Harbour v Eastwood

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I think you will find a number of seasons ago Gordon actually provided financial support to the Central Coast Academy of Sport. Through Gordon's current arrangement and club sponsor Mingara the support of the Central Coast is continuing through games(last week Colts was at Mingara) & other things i.e coaching development programs etc.

Maybe do your research before firing off hand grenade's cluelessly everywhere.

Gordon offers the pathway for these players to play at Gordon as the closest club alongside the Woodies. Gordon do not expect these players to play at Gordon it asks a number of it's talented junior players if they would like to play in Sydney of which a number accept - Gordon enjoys a good reputation from my understanding at the moment on the Central Coast.

I am just remembering I am talking to a Randwick supporter here - a club that has relied on providing accommodation to country and out of area players for a very long time (I am not saying that is a bad thing).
True, the Gordon rugby club did have a financial sponsorship arrangement with the central coast academy, however, that sponsorship was written off as a bad debt for failure to pay from the club. This was over a four year period, but I am unsure if there is any new agreement.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'll pick them early
Round 3 Games - 4 April
Manly v Eastern Suburbs
Warringah v Randwick
West Harbour v Eastwood
yep,all blowout scores next week I reckon apart from Manly v Easts.
I think Easts will win by 12.

Garza

Stan Wickham (3)
What are shute shield rules on replacement players ? Syd Uni had a colt squad to run two sets of teams and used up to 8 subs per game. Easts barely had numbers and ran out of gas using players from 2nds who had played full games to back up 1sts. Half time scores were not so distorted but all games blew out scores in 2nd half. Credit to uni players but uneven playing surface, no scholarships and other assistance at Easts. Players even had to pay for the bus trip to Bowral

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
What are shute shield rules on replacement players ? Syd Uni had a colt squad to run two sets of teams and used up to 8 subs per game. Easts barely had numbers and ran out of gas using players from 2nds who had played full games to back up 1sts. Half time scores were not so distorted but all games blew out scores in 2nd half. Credit to uni players but uneven playing surface, no scholarships and other assistance at Easts. Players even had to pay for the bus trip to Bowral
Hi Garza,
My son plays for the Corp and I was their yesterday and have been to all the games this year so I will offer a few observations. I will make each one a separate post so that people can weigh in to the topics they care about.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Garza, SRU rules allow for 8 replacements to be made in all competitions less the Colts 3, which is run under Under 19 Variation rules, which allows for 10 replacements to be made.

Replacements can not come back onto the field. The exception is a prop who was not an injury replacement (tactical replacement) may come back on for a prop who is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.