• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Colts Finals Wrap

I managed to watch most of the colts games at Chatswood Oval on Saturday and all of the games on Sunday. So here is a short wrap of what I recall from the games

Sat
9.00am - Colts 3 - Randwick v Eastern Suburbs
Couldn’t quite make this game but reports were that Randwick had the lead 12-0 with about 10 mins left before Easts managed 2 late tries to level it up at 12-12. Meant Randwick safely through to next week with Easts now sweating on other results.

10.30am – Colts 3 – Sydney University v Parramatta
Parra had beaten Uni only 7 days prior in the last round – so although it was a clash of 1st vs 6th no-one was complacent over this result. Uni scored first and skipped to a 12-0 lead before Parra hit back with one of their own. But that was as close as it got as University piled on the points to run away with it 41-5.

12.00pm – Colts 2 – Randwick v Gordon
Last time these 2 teams met it was a real blow-out, but finals footy is a different beast. Randwick dominated the early exchanges and managed to score a number of tries – but the Gordon players were making sure they didn’t have it all their own way and forced a number of Randwick errors. In saying that the Randwick defence was solid keeping Gordon’s attack in check. Midway through the second half Gordon snatched an intercept try to one of the locks making it 33-7 and they held the Wicks to that score for the remainder of the game.

1.40pm – Colts 1 – Randwick v Southern Districts
The two team met in round 18 where the Wicks had a solid win. But would the finals game be different? South struck early and kept up with Randwick in the early exchanges – despite losing their #10 Kuenzle (looked like ankle) and a yellow card, they were well and truly into the contest locked at 21 all late in the 1st half. But the Randwick machine clicked into gear and took control of the remainder of the match to win 61-28.

3.30pm – Colts 1 – Sydney University v Warringah
I missed this game but the scoreline suggests that Uni were again dominant taking the lead and never looking back. Apparently Warringah scored a couple of late tries but final result was something like 50-12. For some reason the Colts 1 games are not showing on the website or App – so I can’t confirm final score.

Sun
10.00am – Colts 3 – Eastwood v Warringah
With other results confirmed Warringah were playing for their life, whilst the flip side saw supporters in Easts gear yelling “Come on Woods”. Eastwood missed an early penalty goal before Warringah returned serve with a more accurate shot to take an early lead. Eastwood replied with 2 tries, both out wide and unconverted taking back the lead. After a Warringah try and an Eastwood penalty goal, the Rats snatched back the lead with a converted try to lead 15-13 well into the 2nd half. Then Eastwood had the last say scoring out wide and Chris Orpen slotting the conversion from the sideline to be ahead 20-15 and they held that till the final whistle. Really good game.

11.30am – Colts 2 – Sydney University v Northern Suburbs
The round games had both sides with a home win each, both 3 tries to 1. So the anticipation was for a tight match. The scoreboard remained quiet for about 20 mins before Uni scored 1st with #8 Milan Basson crashing over to give Uni a 7-0 lead. A yellow to Uni gave Norths the chance to hit back with 2 tries to right wing Angus Windred and a halftime lead of 12-7. Norths then received a yellow and Uni hit back with Basson’s 2nd converted try jump ahead 14-12. The lead changed again when Windred got his hat-trick and Norths were up 17-14. Uni grabbed another converted try and held the advantage 21-17 before the pendulum again swung Norths way with another converted try and the lead 24-21 with under 5 mins remaining. A penalty almost in front of the posts (about 30m out) gave Uni a chance to level – which they did and as they higher placed qualifier they were happy at 24-24. A knock-on from the restart and a subsequent scrum penalty gave Norths the last chance - Sam Ryan slotted the pressure goal and grabbed the lead on the death 27-24. Cracking game.

1.10pm – Colts 2 – Eastern Suburbs v Southern Districts
The equation was Easts were safe regardless, Souths needed the win. Uni wanted Easts to win to keep them alive. The game was close early, Souths looked dangerous through their big forwards and particularly #13. But Easts had their own strengths through the midfield with big strong centres and active wingers. They traded early tries and both team missed some shots at goal – University would have been nervous early as Souths took the lead but Easts pretty soon took control and eventually ran away with the win 38-13.

3.00pm – Colts 1 – Eastwood v Eastern Suburbs

Last match of the day and both teams were safely through to the 2nd week. The winner would meet Randwick, the loser would face the minor premiers in Uni. It was a cracking start to the game both teams were right into it from the whistle. Eastwood seemed to have some early field position and looked sharp, with both teams trading points for the first half keeping the game very even. Just on half time Easts made a clear break and looked likely to score before a wayward pass was sent to the Eastwood right winger whom scooted the other way to give Eastwood a narrow lead at halftime. The second half momentum was then with Easts sparking the spectator next to me to declare “Easts were going to run away with it” – within 60 seconds they had turned over the ball and Eastwood went the length of the field to score. But that was as good as it got for the Woods, Easts started to run away with it and scored some sharp long-range tries. Final score was 42-25. For Eastwood their right winger, back row and hooker took the eye. Easts were pretty good across the park but the #7, #10, #13 and #15 stood out.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
While accusations are being bandied about, Interested to see how to see Harry Chapman for Wix has 1 player point when he played NSW 1 schools in 2015. I thought that was 4 points. Since you only lose 1 point for playing last year I don't see how that works. Maybe rules have changed, but the players point system is a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

While accusations are being bandied about, Interested to see how to see Harry Chapman for Wix has 1 player point when he played NSW 1 schools in 2015. I thought that was 4 points. Since you only lose 1 point for playing last year I don't see how that works. Maybe rules have changed, but the players point system is a joke

Im not sure if he is a junior but there is a discount for local juniors

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Im assuming he no longer classifies obviously as a NSW schoolboy now he has been out for two years and he has a one year loyalty discount. He would have been worth two points as a standard player and then dropped down to one through loyalty.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Im assuming he no longer classifies obviously as a NSW schoolboy now he has been out for two years and he has a one year loyalty discount. He would have been worth two points as a standard player and then dropped down to one through loyalty.
Not to my understanding. He gets 4 points last year and one point deduction for last year so 3 points. Oz schoolboys from 2015 still attract 5 points (6-1)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
033b8641748281468cfb5097408f1230.jpg

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Not to my understanding. He gets 4 points last year and one point deduction for last year so 3 points. Oz schoolboys from 2015 still attract 5 points (6-1).

That is a fatal flaw in the system that a NSW schoolboy go from a 4 point player in 2016 to a 1 point player in 2017. It was argued that you should only drop 1 point in your second year like the Aus schoolboy example but rulemakers decided against it. It was not neglected as they were made well aware of the apparent anomaly but decided to go with 1 point.

This one rule change would have hurt Uni and Randwick a lot - hence why I imagine it was made 1 point rather than 3.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Not to my understanding. He gets 4 points last year and one point deduction for last year so 3 points. Oz schoolboys from 2015 still attract 5 points (6-1).

That is a fatal flaw in the system that a NSW schoolboy go from a 4 point player in 2016 to a 1 point player in 2017. It was argued that you should only drop 1 point in your second year like the Aus schoolboy example but rulemakers decided against it. It was not neglected as they were made well aware of the apparent anomaly but decided to go with 1 point.

This one rule change would have hurt Uni and Randwick a lot - hence why I imagine it was made 1 point rather than 3.

Thanks for the clarification and I stand corrected. The whole system is pretty confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.