• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Shake Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I take it you were at Hassel Park then on Saturday?

I think the ARC did some good things by creating 3 teams in Sydney. I will always understand why the SS clubs want to protect their own interests but it would be great to start from scratch!

No, I was somewhere else. How's that for appalling that it happened in at least 2 places. I won't name the club involved but what was funny is that even with ring-ins it wasn't convincing

--------------

Here's a thought, this one for subbies, drop a team from every division except 6th. It's obvious that most clubs are struggling for numbers. If blokes want to play they'll go somewhere else, if it's just the social run around then they'll stop causing the club's administrator's hair loss as they try to fill the lower grades each week.

Or, as these recent examples show, the players would exodus on mass because they're being shunted just so coaches can win a late season match.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If we need further proof that Australian Rugby needs a complete restructure, read the email that went out to all clubs today.

Dear All

It is with regret that I have to inform you all that after 89 years the last edition of Rugby News will be published for Grand Final Day.

It will be very sad that Club Rugby won’t have a program anymore. The hierarchy should be concerned about this but they don’t care about Club Rugby as they only care about the elite overpaid player.

If Club Rugby is not supported the game will diminish, it is struggling enough now and is nowhere near as what it was in the past. Club Rugby people keep the great game going in Sydney throughout Australia and all over the world

Other sports are laughing especially the AFL and the late great Eric Spilstead would be turning in his grave despite the great efforts of Jim Davis and others to keep Rugby News alive.

A very sad day for our great game

Regards,

Bob Wilson

0438-416222 Mobile

bobw@wireless2way.com.au

What a frigging joke - what is the ARU doing for club rugby?
Do you reckon JON has EVER been to a game?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear oh bloody dear. How many people buy it each week? Obviously not enough, mainly because everything is available on-line these days.

More to the point, how many people under 50 buy it? At a guess - none.

JON used to be a lower grade coach at Sydney University, incidentally.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dear oh bloody dear. How many people buy it each week? Obviously not enough, mainly because everything is available on-line these days. More to the point, how many people under 50 buy it? At a guess - none.

I hear it was due to low sales, which is relective of some of us here - should we be taking some of the blame?
Maybe instead of pointing fingers we need to use them to purchase a program.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dear oh bloody dear. How many people buy it each week? Obviously not enough, mainly because everything is available on-line these days.

Really? When?
How'd his team go?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)

It's a good publication .
It provides team lists , competition tables & results etc.
Are you suggesting we all take a computer to the games each week , & stuff around trying to find this sort of information on that ?
The Shute Shield is the premier Rugby competition in NSW & surely requires a decent programme for it's games if the sport is to be taken half seriously.
Compare other codes.
Not to have one is laughable , & a disgrace.

M

Mr Magoo

Are you suggesting we all take a computer to the games each week , & stuff around trying to find this sort of information on that ?
The Shute Shield is the premier Rugby competition in NSW & surely requires a decent programme for it's games if the sport is to be taken half seriously.
Compare other codes.
It is sad but a natural progression as smart phones and tablets take over. I have used my phone many times at games to look up stuff on NSW page. Player list, who played last weeks game etc. the scope for content is far better. It's sad to say goodbye to something we've grown up with.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It is sad but a natural progression as smart phones and tablets take over. I have used my phone many times at games to look up stuff on NSW page. Player list, who played last weeks game etc. the scope for content is far better. It's sad to say goodbye to something we've grown up with.
Hope the publication continues, if not at least their website and a soft copy of the publication.
A great website.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Compare other codes.

Do your research before you go the game.

I have not bought the thing for years, and do not miss it. When I was a kid I used to buy it every home game, but I doubt that any kids would buy it these days. And that is the point. Hard copy material like this is going, going, and now gone.

It would be laughable and a disgrace to continue subsidising a publication just for the sake of the dwindling few who are prepared to buy it.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
"Rugby News" going, ABC coverage possibly going.this is fantastic news.

It looks like Sydney Rugby is on its way to rock bottom. Finally those in charge might acknowledge there's a problem..but probably not.

How's this for delusional.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ops-tripleheader-hit-list-20120901-2572l.html

It will be funny to see who cops the blame when it doesn't happen.

It's worth considering who wrote this article.
This guy makes his living out of inventing stories like this and reporting ridiculous unsubstantiated rumours that you never hear any more about.
In my opinion, it's not worth reading anything he writes!

As far as Rugby News is concerned, I don't know whether their circulation has dropped but I've been to several grounds over recent years when the Rugby News hasn't been delivered before kickoff in 4th grade (ie 11am) and people are continually going to the gate asking whether it's arrived yet. I believe it's independently published; surely Waratah Rugby should be producing this???

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Do your research before you go the game.

I have not bought the thing for years, and do not miss it. When I was a kid I used to buy it every home game, but I doubt that any kids would buy it these days. And that is the point. Hard copy material like this is going, going, and now gone.

It would be laughable and a disgrace to continue subsidising a publication just for the sake of the dwindling few who are prepared to buy it.

Research ?
I just like having the teams , the tables & other news in front of me at my convenience , at the game, I'm not preparing for a viva voce examination.
You don't need one , but I buy a programme each week , & consider it good value , informative & worth keeping.
Perhaps I should have my lunch at home also before I come , so I don't have to subsidise the canteen , & get public transport so I don't use the car park ?
No.
From my point of view they're all part of the day out

K

Keithy

Maybe they should expand the market and include subbies. Another 50 odd clubs that may buy Rugby News will keep it afloat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bump the prices up at the gate to Shute Shield matches by a couple of $ and give the Rugby News away free as part of the admission price.

For the spongers and hangers on who don't pay admission fees at the gate, make them pay $5.00 for the publication that others are getting free.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Bump the prices up at the gate to Shute Shield matches by a couple of $ and give the Rugby News away free as part of the admission price.

For the spongers and hangers on who don't pay admission fees at the gate, make them pay $5.00 for the publication that others are getting free.
I think they're called Volunteers HJ, and clubs would be dead without them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was excluding the volunteers and players in my previous observation, and I stand to be corrected, but there are still a reasonable number of people that are not volunteering their time but who are at the various Shute shield ovals who are not full fare paying at the gate.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
No, I was somewhere else. How's that for appalling that it happened in at least 2 places. I won't name the club involved but what was funny is that even with ring-ins it wasn't convincing

--------------

Here's a thought, this one for subbies, drop a team from every division except 6th. It's obvious that most clubs are struggling for numbers. If blokes want to play they'll go somewhere else, if it's just the social run around then they'll stop causing the club's administrator's hair loss as they try to fill the lower grades each week.

Or, as these recent examples show, the players would exodus on mass because they're being shunted just so coaches can win a late season match.

I do tend to agree. My subbies club are going to be relegated from Div 1 this year. Late in the season we have struggled for numbers once the season rolls on.

As an example this year in subbies has been a bit of a mess. The decision to scrap Div 4 and throw all these clubs into Div 3 has caused some of the clubs promoted (Mac Uni, Merrylands) to have tough years.

I really think it is time to restructure the divisions.

Div 5 - 1 team
Div 4- 2 teams
Div 3- 3 teams plus colts
Div 2- 4 teams plus colts
Div 1- 4 teams plus colts

Any clubs that have left over players, and one team clubs should play for the Halligan Cup which should have a set draw at the start of the season.

We have two clubs in Div 1 that couldn't field 5th grade teams by the end of the season, and how the heck are community clubs supposed to attract over 90 players each week in 1st Division.

We need to support the clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.