• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
With everyone else getting next year's gossip underway, why not for the competiton at the heart of Sydney's Rugby loving fraternity.

Rumour Mill So far:
  1. A number of Balmain and St Pats players moving to SS Clubs
  2. Newport to fall from Div 2 despite beating Kings...without a 4th grade
  3. Blue Mountains don't want to join Div 2 because they're east Sydney snobs...and it's a lot more travelling...ok, travel is the reason.
  4. Brothers in a world of financial hurt after sponsor withdrawal and losing most of their 1st grade. I make no inference there is a link.
  5. 8 team competitions and to create a Div 4...Oldie but a goodie
  6. Warren Livingston and Clive Palmer to buy the ARU for $150K...might not see it as value for money:p
I know nothing as to the truth of these rumours, just thought we could get some confirmations or denials as well as any coach and player movements around Sydney.

Surely with 50 or so clubs there's a fair bit of information people want to share about these great institutions of Sydney Rugby.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I've heard some whispers of Division 4 being reinstated in 2014, also Sydney Irish have apparently got a "well known" Irish international and 4 times Lions tourist coming to beef up the first grade's midfield in June after his impending retirement from professional rugby.

*one of the above may be false.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Don't they try to get Div 4 up every year?
Fourth Division more likely with a couple of div 3 teams living on the edge with lower than necessary registration numbers and entered teams. There is a possibility that the first grade premiers in div 3 could have to show cause as to why they remain in div 3.

According to Balmain twitter, they are upset at Manly Marlins for approaching some of their players with possible incentives. Seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

From my info, Blue Mountains believe they are ready for the move up to division 2 and players are keen. I have also heard a rumour of Brothers losing a major sponsor and possibly seeing some first grade players move on.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. Quite possible as these 2 clubs 'employ' a lot of mercenaries. Probably the 2 standout clubs in this regard so hard to fee sorry for them.
2. I know their media manager who tells me numbers for 2014 are looking very strong. The colts winning the GF can't hurt either.
3. Cant stand the two-blues so not surprised, though Div 2 is mainly north shore, not east!
4. Cheque book rugby will always hurt when the $ dries up. Their lower grades last year weren't much chop. Thank christ they didnt get promoted to Div 1. The Shammies should hopefully do well.
5. Never understood why they dont offer a Div 4 with 2 grades and colts, rather than 3 grades. Would love to see Div 4 get up - there are too many div 5 and 6 clubs clubs fielding 1-2 Halligan cup teams...
6. I hear Woz doesnt have as much cash as everyone makes out....

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
JSRF10 - I am really enjoying the rise of Sydney Irish - lets hope it lasts. We've seen Sydney Welsh and South Sydney NZ in the past...

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
JSRF10 - I am really enjoying the rise of Sydney Irish - lets hope it lasts.

Lets hope indeed, the numbers of Irish coming down under will decline as the Irish economy improves however Sydney does have a large Irish population which will hopefully keep driving the club forward.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Division 4 is a necessity for 2014. Clubs need a clear path for progression from the lower divisions to the higher ones. Div 5 to Div 3 is a major jump. Div 4 should happen with strong clubs like Irish, Redfield and Harlequins. A few other clubs should also be encouraged to make the move up.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Shute Shield next year. A lot of talk about making things truly amateur and a few clubs are already on the financial brink.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Subbies definitely needs to find some sort of solution for Clubs.

While coincidence is possible based on the scorelines of 28 - Nil here's how much Clubs are struggling for numbers.

Beecroft 5th Grade – Forfeit 15 matches
Hunter Hill 5th Grade – Forfeit 7 matches
St Pats 5th Grade – Forfeit 1 match
Knox 5th Grade – Forfeit 1 match
Beecroft 4th Grade – Forfeit 2 matches

Newport 4th Grade – Forfeit all matches

St George 4th Grade – Forfeit all matches
Blacktown 4th Grade – Forfeit 10 matches
Radford Cup – Only 4 Div 3 sides competed (out of 5)

For a social comp it is very difficult to field so many sides on a regular basis. The number of teams need to be reduced and those Clubs with the numbers should field in the lower divisions. It would also stop Clubs creating 1st grade reunion sides to run around and smash hapless 4th and 5th graders. Don't pretend it doesn't happen.

Simmo Green

Frank Row (1)
Subbies definitely needs to find some sort of solution for Clubs.

While coincidence is possible based on the scorelines of 28 - Nil here's how much Clubs are struggling for numbers.

Beecroft 5th Grade – Forfeit 15 matches
Hunter Hill 5th Grade – Forfeit 7 matches
St Pats 5th Grade – Forfeit 1 match
Knox 5th Grade – Forfeit 1 match
Beecroft 4th Grade – Forfeit 2 matches

Newport 4th Grade – Forfeit all matches

St George 4th Grade – Forfeit all matches
Blacktown 4th Grade – Forfeit 10 matches
Radford Cup – Only 4 Div 3 sides competed (out of 5)

For a social comp it is very difficult to field so many sides on a regular basis. The number of teams need to be reduced and those Clubs with the numbers should field in the lower divisions. It would also stop Clubs creating 1st grade reunion sides to run around and smash hapless 4th and 5th graders. Don't pretend it doesn't happen.

Hunters Hill's forfeits in 5ths are misleading. The grade was comprised a group of players who were employed by the same company. They distinguished themselves with on and off field indiscretions. The Club to their credit, acted to get rid of them well before the season finished. HH numbers for 2014 look healthy already

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Hunters Hill's forfeits in 5ths are misleading. The grade was comprised a group of players who were employed by the same company. They distinguished themselves with on and off field indiscretions. The Club to their credit, acted to get rid of them well before the season finished. HH numbers for 2014 look healthy already

Unfortunately this only highlights what I was talking about. I good Club was left in a position that exposed them to a situation that shouldn't have happened. Full credit to HH- and any club that acts - to deal with this sort of thing decisively

Good to hear things are going well and best of luck for next year.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Fairly sure I remember hearing somewhere that Balmain did a deal to use the main Leichardt Oval, anyone able to give more info on this and if I dreamt it?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Having lived in Rozelle for about 10 years, I must say the Wolves have done well in giving the rugby a lot of exposure. As the demographics have changed a lot over the years, I wasnt surprised to see a Balmain juniors club form as well as the strong now DIV 1 subbies team. In a 5 km radius there is now Balmain, Drummoyne and Hunters Hill. Plus the clubs not much further out such as Petersham, Syd Uni, West Harbour, Briars etc.
You'll often see the big Balmain rugby banner accross Darling Street, ( and Norton Street in Leichhardt) in the local paper. This new Leichhardt oval gig will get the mungos in a lather!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Quite possible as these 2 clubs 'employ' a lot of mercenaries. Probably the 2 standout clubs in this regard so hard to fee sorry for them.
2. I know their media manager who tells me numbers for 2014 are looking very strong. The colts winning the GF can't hurt either.
3. Cant stand the two-blues so not surprised, though Div 2 is mainly north shore, not east!
4. Cheque book rugby will always hurt when the $ dries up. Their lower grades last year weren't much chop. Thank christ they didnt get promoted to Div 1. The Shammies should hopefully do well.
5. Never understood why they dont offer a Div 4 with 2 grades and colts, rather than 3 grades. Would love to see Div 4 get up - there are too many div 5 and 6 clubs clubs fielding 1-2 Halligan cup teams.
6. I hear Woz doesnt have as much cash as everyone makes out..

Crashy, I have heard Newport have been confirmed in 2nd DIV for next year by Subbies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good to see Balmain go from strength to strength. That's great news about the move to Leichhardt Oval.

West Tigers train at Concord Oval, I've often wondered why they don't play there rather than Leichhardt. It's a better ground surface-wise, good stands and is much more convenient to get to.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Though it affects 2015 more than 2014, I thought I would post this here.

BIG changes for Subbies coming down the pipe:

NSW Suburban Rugby will be declared amateur from 2015. The payment of players will be prohibited and penalties will be applied for any breach of the amateur status.

Divisions will be restructured so that all divisions below Division One will consist of eight clubs playing 14 minor premiership rounds, finishing with a top four finals series. Division One will remain with ten clubs and 18 rounds.

Extra wet weather weeks will be scheduled in recognition of the increasing incidence of council ground closures, and the problems these inevitably cause for players and officials. This should largely negate the need for “make-up” matches to be played on Sundays or mid-week.

An extra guaranteed bye may also be available, giving certainty around available weekends off.

A weekend during the season may be set aside for divisional sevens tournaments or cross-divisional “FA Cup” style competitions, emphasising the social aspect of rugby at the Suburban level.

An entry level competition will be formed to cater for new single team clubs, with the aim of improving their Suburban experience and longevity whilst preparing them for promotion to higher, more competitive, divisions in future years.

All great reforms IMO, though the banning of payments will be extremely difficult to enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.