• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting points from round one!

First Div:

Waverley have come back to first division with a bang. Well done to them, it will be very interesting to see if it lasts!

Mosman losing first grade, have they lost blokes from last years premiership?

2nd Div:

Joel Brooks former Brothers and West Harbour (Made a Waratahs training squad at some point) winger running around for Hunters Hill

3rd Div:

St Ives winning every grade except colts (Forfeit) against Brothers

4th Div:

Oatley must be happy!

5th Div:

Have only four clubs got 2 grades?

6th Div:

Tough start for Kings, i hope things improve for them

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
4th Div:

Oatley must be happy!

Oatley's presence in 4th Div makes a great argument against the Divisional structure that Subbies have. Their First Grade is packing so much firepower that they'll beat everyone comfortably on the scoreboard, and probably put a few more blokes in hospital.

(Current body count: 2 Sydney Harlequins - facial fractures & dislocated clavicle).

The scores against Harlequins are indicative of something wrong:

1sts: Harlequins 3 - 44 Oatley
2nds: Harlequins 36 - 12 Oatley
3rds: Harlequins 5 - 45 Oatley

I know Thirds can be a bit hit and miss, but how the fuck do you have your Second Grade fall that badly when your First Grade is carving up a side like SydQuins that badly?

5th Div:

Yes - Chatswood, Lane Cove, Maccabi, and Convicts.

Good on them for sticking their hands up.

Over that way, they've got clubs like Colleagues and Mosman on either side of the harbour to supply Halligans. I reckon it works out well in an environment where 5th Division was desperately required, and not many clubs had the willpower to do so.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Oatley's presence in 4th Div makes a great argument against the Divisional structure that Subbies have. Their First Grade is packing so much firepower that they'll beat everyone comfortably on the scoreboard, and probably put a few more blokes in hospital.

(Current body count: 2 Sydney Harlequins - facial fractures & dislocated clavicle).

I know Thirds can be a bit hit and miss, but how the fuck do you have your Second Grade fall that badly when your First Grade is carving up a side like SydQuins that badly.

Oatley still fielded 10 players in first grade who had either played juniors or colts with the club.

3rds are full of good players that mostly don't bother to rock up to training, cant really chuck them in 2nds ahead of guys that show up every week

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
5th Div:

Speaking for the Dukes, we are attempting to put up a 2nds every week we can (should have one this week against Lane Cove...). It's just a matter of pulling together everyone and letting them know that there IS a game to be played week in and week out. Aiming for at least 65-75% of games this season to have a 2nd grade to build solid numbers for next year and beyond.

rugbynut2010

Bob McCowan (2)
Oatley still fielded 10 players in first grade who had either played juniors or colts with the club.

3rds are full of good players that mostly don't bother to rock up to training, cant really chuck them in 2nds ahead of guys that show up every week

You are right Southsider-on Saturday First Grade had 9 former Oatley colts plus 1 current colt. That was not including those former colts or juniors that came off the bench as well.

Most of Oatley first grade have actually played for club over the last 2 years. Also have several players who are well into there 30s and had only 3 new players to the club this year on Saturday. 2 of which haven't played rugby for a number years.

There is a reason why we are in 4th division and that's on the back of poor higher grade results last year.

I am sure we will be in for much tighter games as the season comes goes on.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)

I know Thirds can be a bit hit and miss, but how the fuck do you have your Second Grade fall that badly when your First Grade is carving up a side like SydQuins that badly?

Oatley 3rd Grade have been strong for a few years - bunch of guys that turn up and play on Saturday but don't train. Not sure if it's the same group but sounds like them.

in 2016 their 2nd Grade finished near the bottom last year as did their 1st Grade.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thanks for the explanation on 3rd Grade gents.

Makes perfect sense and if I had guys unable to train I'd instruct my coaches to do the same thing, on one condition: that it isn't going to be a player safety issue. Which, unfortunately, it is.

I'm not saying for a moment that they're doing anything dodgy. Far from it - successful rugby programs should be rewarded when they can hang onto their juniors for long stretches. A lot of hard work has gone into that over nearly 60 years, and I'll bet there have been hard times.

I'm just saying there is no recourse for a Division when a club has a First Grade as weak as ours, against a First Grade as strong as Oatley. No grading structure or way to minimise the damage.

Our club has been going since 2007. There were premierships when money was involved, but that isn't sustainable. So here we are.

All I can hope is a few of my classier players decide to come back, so that its not three figures in a couple of weeks. Am I going to get any rego money out of them? Probably not.

Of a far larger concern is more injuries, further reducing my headcount. The good players aren't going to hang around to get pumped by 70+ points every week either.

Speaking of injuries, I'm off to get this rib popped back into place.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I am sure we will be in for much tighter games as the season comes goes on.

In rough order of rank, based on what I've seen in the last two years:

Harlequins: probably the best of what you'll face in this Division for combination of ability, size, and cohesion.

Canterbury: will have more size than Quins and maybe a little more zip, with a healthy mix of all the Pacific Islands including Australia ;) Not sure about organisation this year but they're fairly well-drilled - can give Quins a run for their money.

Irish: tend to get stronger toward the middle of the year as they pick up a few arrivals at the airport. Solid side though, and always there or thereabouts.

Blacktown: suffering a bit from their premiership hangover, with loss of players. They held Irish to a draw in Firsts but see comments above. Will be stronger at home.

Briars: plenty of pace and youth. Not a huge amount of size except some big Islander lads in their tight five. We bashed them through the middle a couple of times but turned it over because we weren't fit enough.

Mac Uni: lot of new players this year. Had some disruptions with coaching. Will be young and fit but not an overflow of talent (check their results from the weekend - scored 5, conceded 139)

Daylight: worthy contender here. Would give us a run for our money ;)

Rouse Hill: unless things improve drastically, your Third Grade will only get a forfeit. Your Seconds should have a comfortable win.

The only danger for your Firsts will be hamstring strains from running in tries. My only request is that you run at the gaps, not at the man. I can't afford to lose any more.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah ok that worked. Thanks and sorry for the stupid question. Shame it doesn't work on the Web.

Not a stupid question at all - if they can get the bloody names up there, they can get the bloody scores up there!

Very poor IT design. Asked FuseSport if they have an API to feed my website. They don't.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
You can get the teamsheets via the web. You need to click on the arrow for the game and then click on the plus sign next to the clubs name. Although it does not list point scorers or cards which is a shame. Bit of a dogs breakfast with players not always in positional order

Not a stupid question at all - if they can get the bloody names up there, they can get the bloody scores up there!

Very poor IT design. Asked FuseSport if they have an API to feed my website. They don't.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You can get the teamsheets via the web. You need to click on the arrow for the game and then click on the plus sign next to the clubs name. Although it does not list point scorers or cards which is a shame. Bit of a dogs breakfast with players not always in positional order

It appears to list them in order they were put into the app.

Like you say: dog's breakfast. Indicates their database guy needs a lesson in databases.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Some interesting results over the weekend across the board

Div 1- Waverley belting Balmain in all grades, Petersham knocking off Mosman in 1st Grade

Div 2- Beecroft beating Lindfield after the bell at Tryon Oval, Last years Div 3 Dominant Force HAC only coming away with 1 victory ( have heard Forest crowd were to put politely a disgrace on Saturday with the "Banter" thrown the way of HAC Players

Div 3- Epping Thumping Newport and St Ives winning all grades v Brothers

Just a couple that stand out.

Pfitzy think its time to swallow the pride and drop down to Div 6 in 2018, obviously nothing can be done this year, but I think if your club is going to survive and one day be back to what it was its something that needs to be done. Beecroft in a way did it and it worked wonders, and so did Waverley and we have all seen the rise of both of these clubs again

Not sure as well what Forfeiting all grades to Oatley would achieve either, yes it may avoid embarrassment and Injury but it wont put the club in good sted with Subbies they would likely just tell you to get stuffed when applying affiliation next year if it continues to happen

Do agree with you on the fact that most players think that sponsors cover rego costs. Simple fact should be you don't pay you don't play, know clubs that have enforced it that if players haven't paid their money by last trial then they are not eligible for selection and not available to take the field until they have paid in full

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
What were Forest giving it to HAC players about? Anything in particular or just Forest being hill billies?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
My all up selections for the weekend.

1st Div
PETERSHAM vs Waverley - match of the round
St Pats vs DRUMMOYNE
Balmain vs MOSMAN
Colleagues vs KNOX

2nd Div
HUNTERS vs Hills
HAC vs Lindfield
BEECROFT vs Forest - match of the round and expect plenty of niggle.
MOUNTAINS vs UNSW

3rd DIV
Hawkesbury Valley vs REDFIELD OB's
NEWPORT vs St Ives - match of round, plenty of history between these two
Brothers vs EPPING
BOBS vs Iggies

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
A 'spirited crowd' is never a bad thing.

You certainly don't see them at a tahs or wallabies game.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Do agree with you on the fact that most players think that sponsors cover rego costs. Simple fact should be you don't pay you don't play, know clubs that have enforced it that if players haven't paid their money by last trial then they are not eligible for selection and not available to take the field until they have paid in full

In an ideal world, for sure. But in reality, if you maintain the principle in some smaller Clubs you forfeit all 2 or 3 grades and then nobody turns up after that.

Making a stand is one thing, but shooting yourself in the head to prove a point is less productive.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

This is fine in theory if you have numbers coming out your wazoo.

The reality for many clubs is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.