• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
The mighty briars will shock a lot. last week they signed 5 blokes from shute shield. including a tongan international 7s, plus 2-3 other high level 7s guys (aus 7s training squad) who have played shute shield in 2023. 1 of em even played shute shield last weekend (looking at the team sheet)

Are we assuming they are getting them from their two local Shute Shield teams West Harbour or Two Blues?

Good luck to them. Brothers tried this once and its a bit of a rollercoaster.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
If other clubs get a sniff at there being anything irregular I’m sure they’ll follow up.

In any case, a competitive division (except Epping) is a strong division, assuming there’s nothing below board.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Are you allowed to move between Shute Shield and Div 2 1st Grade? I thought there needs to be clearance provided between years, let alone one week.

Although - If that standard is present, then Briars might be back to the glory days.

1) Beware the rumour mill :)

2) There is a process for getting clearance. It's in the Operations Manual. https://rugby.net.au/ResDetail.asp?id=17297&OrgID=132&menu=637

Section 2 Part 4 - page 8 for those playing at home.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
colts round 1

lindfield vs forest
lindfield enter the new division with a high. numbers are healthy and spot are still on the line. the set piece will still be a strong point, which may be too much for forest who against mosman benefited from moving the ball wide to there speedy back three. this will be ultra competitive but i expect lindfield to work them down slowly. Lindfield by 6

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
The big 4 Div 2 teams should merge into Div 1 with the other 4 merging into Div 3.

they will be fine. if they want it enough, they will be back in kentwell within 12 months. lindfield has been significantly larger than any other club in division 2 since covid finished and we had a number of enjoyable years in division 2. we were able to get minimum 4 grades every week in the mens competition and sometimes 5. if the people want it, the games are there.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

and so it begins....

Petersham vs St Pats: Match of the round as the two pissed off former Div 1 clubs face off for what could be Div2 supremacy. Word from Shammie town is they have a ton of players, many of the pale white legged from the UK and are ready to fire. St Pats trial form has been mixed and I will go with the home team by 10 in a fiery encounter.

UNSW vs Hills: All eyes will be on David Phillips to see for early signs of what life will bring in 2024. Hills are fielding 4 grades and appear stronger this year in the higher grades. UNSW have an ageing 1s and 2s and will be interesting to see if there are any fresh faces for 2024. Im going to go with the upset (on last years form) and predict a Hills away victory by 5.

Beecroft vs Newport: Some history between these two clubs, not all of it great. Beecroft an unknown quantity up from DIV 3 and appear short on numbers given the 3rd grade forfeit. Newport backline is quick, and I mean really quick. Newport should (hopefully) run away with it in the 2nd half with them naming full benches in every grade. I'll say Breakers by 1 but hope for more.

Briars vs Epping: We will have to wait another 7 days to see if the rumour brigade are right around Briars recruitment. I do feel sorry for the Epping coaches and stalwarts whom no doubt tried everything to get players.

Let The Boys Play.

Frank Row (1)
Looking at the team sheets around the ground.

Good to see unsw running 6 teams at Hills.

Epping have named 14 fresh reserves across the 2 grades but cannot front 3 teams.....
Have we forgotten they went unbeaten in 3s last year up to play offs and there 2s lost everything. Alot of familiar names sticking around, that 3s team was definitely good enough to front up in the higher grades.

Hunters Hill have not named a colts 1 team for the trial against Dirty Reds but there "2nd colts" are playing Briars - awfully convenient.

What will subbies do if Epping 3s start winning games, will they force them up, will they doc points or give points to the other clubs.

What has happened to subbies, what has happened to the pride of pulling on a first grade jersey, I would rather run at 3.15pm on a Saturday and get pumped than forfeit.

Let The Boys Play.

Frank Row (1)
Div 2

and so it begins....

Petersham vs St Pats: Match of the round as the two pissed off former Div 1 clubs face off for what could be Div2 supremacy. Word from Shammie town is they have a ton of players, many of the pale white legged from the UK and are ready to fire. St Pats trial form has been mixed and I will go with the home team by 10 in a fiery encounter.

UNSW vs Hills: All eyes will be on David Phillips to see for early signs of what life will bring in 2024. Hills are fielding 4 grades and appear stronger this year in the higher grades. UNSW have an ageing 1s and 2s and will be interesting to see if there are any fresh faces for 2024. Im going to go with the upset (on last years form) and predict a Hills away victory by 5.

Beecroft vs Newport: Some history between these two clubs, not all of it great. Beecroft an unknown quantity up from DIV 3 and appear short on numbers given the 3rd grade forfeit. Newport backline is quick, and I mean really quick. Newport should (hopefully) run away with it in the 2nd half with them naming full benches in every grade. I'll say Breakers by 1 but hope for more.

Briars vs Epping: We will have to wait another 7 days to see if the rumour brigade are right around Briars recruitment. I do feel sorry for the Epping coaches and stalwarts whom no doubt tried everything to get players.
I don't think Briars are allowed to field the 1st grade- will have to wait another week.

Looking forward to Hills UNSW

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

Epping have named 14 fresh reserves across the 2 grades but cannot front 3 teams.....
Have we forgotten they went unbeaten in 3s last year up to play offs and there 2s lost everything. Alot of familiar names sticking around, that 3s team was definitely good enough to front up in the higher grades.

Hunters Hill have not named a colts 1 team for the trial against Dirty Reds but there "2nd colts" are playing Briars - awfully convenient.

What will subbies do if Epping 3s start winning games, will they force them up, will they doc points or give points to the other clubs.

What has happened to subbies, what has happened to the pride of pulling on a first grade jersey, I would rather run at 3.15pm on a Saturday and get pumped than forfeit.
Any interesting scenario to keep an eye on. If they get enough players they should be forced to field a 1st grade, particularly if they start dominating 2s and 3s.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

Don't get ahead of yourselves, lads. We've had a decent response from some of our part-time players who have said that they think they'll make it this week. We are not expecting to see every one of the 14.
We've been upfront and honest about our player situation, citing the challenges that we currently face. The GAGR community may think they deserve to know what is going on, but they don't.
We are doing what is in the best interests of preserving the club and ensuring that the Epping Rams have a future. We are doing everything we can to attract additional players to the club. People in genuine Subbies circles know me and know me well enough to understand that when I tell them about a situation, its the truth.

Alot of finger pointing going on, but unfortunately between us and Subbies we could not find a solution to changing divisions. If we went down, whole clubs would have a bye. At the moment, it's only first grade sides.

I'd suggest you make sure your own backyard is clean. We've always done our best to fulfill our requirements. A few clubs with representatives here might have short memories and I'd suggest considering your own club's positions in 2022.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hornsby report: their firsts are young, fit, and technically pretty good. We put their scrum under a lot of pressure, but I think they'll have an easier time against almost everyone in the division on that front.

They fed off our errors in the first half but once we warmed up it was a pretty good game.

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)
Good game out at Mittigar - Raptors vs Canterbury, Wins for Raptors in both grades

Seconds was a close game - suffered a few injuries leaving firsts with a small bench. We tthen lost one of thier props in the first 10 and just struggled to match Raptors after that point despite going uncontested

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Positive start for Lane Cove Old Ignatians Rugby Football Club with 2 from 3.

Colts had a strong win over Macquarie Uni with a dominant scrum and quick backline.

2nds was a tight tussle in the first half but BOB's proved too good in the second half capitalising on LCOI mistakes with a Colts dominate backline being super quick scoping up spilt balls for multiple second half trys. Incidentally speaking to BOB's post match, which goes someway to explaining why the have no Colts side, from 2023 Year 12 class they only picked up 4 players.

1st was also a tight tussle with see sawing trys but in the end LCOI had more see's to BOB's saw's. Plenty of good banter from the sidelines.

And most importantly LCOI won the boat race. Also attained the new Old Boys Cup to be played this year between LCOI, BOB's and Knox. Similar concept to the Ranfurly Shield.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Beecroft vs Breakers

Word from Beecroft was they had 10 out for a wedding so hopefully see them bounce back with a 3rd grade next week.

Due to rain and some scheduling mix ups Breakers started their 2024 with basically no trials. It showed with plenty of cobwebs blown out across all grades. However there were plenty of promising signs with many new young faces and with quite a few also missing the 1st round clash things looking ok for Breakers in 2024.

1st grade probably guilty of white line fever in the first half and bombed plenty of points with Beecroft toughing out a grinding 2nd half.

2nds. Newport just too young and fit for an ageing but big Beecroft pack.

Colts: a pretty rusty start from both teams with the Breakers having the individual class when it mattered to turn pressure into points.

Newport will need to lift their clinical intensity if they want to be competitive against UNSW at Porters on Saturday. Given yesterdays player numbers maybe Newport will be able to field the odd 4th grade side this season?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Beecroft vs Breakers

Word from Beecroft was they had 10 out for a wedding so hopefully see them bounce back with a 3rd grade next week.

Due to rain and some scheduling mix ups Breakers started their 2024 with basically no trials. It showed with plenty of cobwebs blown out across all grades. However there were plenty of promising signs with many new young faces and with quite a few also missing the 1st round clash things looking ok for Breakers in 2024.

1st grade probably guilty of white line fever in the first half and bombed plenty of points with Beecroft toughing out a grinding 2nd half.

2nds. Newport just too young and fit for an ageing but big Beecroft pack.

Colts: a pretty rusty start from both teams with the Breakers having the individual class when it mattered to turn pressure into points.

Newport will need to lift their clinical intensity if they want to be competitive against UNSW at Porters on Saturday. Given yesterdays player numbers maybe Newport will be able to field the odd 4th grade side this season?
UNSW fielded a 5ths in the Halligans Cup yesterday HD, so maybe you get a 5ths going as well. Your famed beer takings may be solid with 6 teams running out!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
UNSW fielded a 5ths in the Halligans Cup yesterday HD, so maybe you get a 5ths going as well. Your famed beer takings may be solid with 6 teams running out!
No chance. Would be good if they could put out a 4ths though.