• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hypothetical Division 3, 4 and 5.

Div 3
Barker
Hornsby
Knox
LCOI
Quins
Redfield
Sydney Harbour
Valley

Division 4
Chatswood
Mac Uni
Merrylands
Raptors
Renegades
Rockdale
Sydney Irish
Wakehurst

Division 5 South West
Blacktown
Burraneer
Canterbury
Georges River
Oatley
North Cronulla

Division 5 North West
Balmain
Colleagues
Dukes
Kings
Maccabi
Saints
Savers
Or 13 side Diviision 5 comp.

Who knows what will happen?
Will Brothers stick with Wakehurst or come back alone?
Is it a Bingham Cup year?
Is it a Maccabiah Games year?
Penrith?
Combined Forces?
Any other rumours of new sides?
I’d say your pretty spot on with those divisions. Though I think the club coming up from Div 4 could be up for debate. Not sure how many of them would be keen on taking the step up from what we’ve seen over the last few years.
Based off there results over the last few years I wonder if the Iggies/ Lane Cove merger are thinking about being more competitive in Div 4 rather than being the bottom end of Div 3?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 5 South West
Blacktown

giphy.gif

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy surely the best option would be a 13 team comp with 2 byes making up 14 rounds? Everything else would mean an uneven balance of sides played meaning an unfair comp.

Hard to say. Depends who is putting their hat in the ring.

Single versus two divisions has pros and cons

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
I’d say your pretty spot on with those divisions. Though I think the club coming up from Div 4 could be up for debate. Not sure how many of them would be keen on taking the step up from what we’ve seen over the last few years.
Based off there results over the last few years I wonder if the Iggies/ Lane Cove merger are thinking about being more competitive in Div 4 rather than being the bottom end of Div 3?
Like a lot of clubs it will likely be Feb/March before we will have an idea of numbers at LCOI. Intention at this stage is two grades and Colts.

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Oh wow, div 3 for Hornsby.
I don’t know much about the central coast comp to be fair but having played a fair bit of Div 3 and more recently in the Central West, if it’s anything like CW, that’s 100 pt plus scoreline difference in standard.
As mentioned hypothetical. Only ran two men's side in CCRU this season.

GD_Maccabi

Frank Row (1)
Hypothetical Division 3, 4 and 5.

Div 3
Barker
Hornsby
Knox
LCOI
Quins
Redfield
Sydney Harbour
Valley

Division 4
Chatswood
Mac Uni
Merrylands
Raptors
Renegades
Rockdale
Sydney Irish
Wakehurst

Division 5 South West
Blacktown
Burraneer
Canterbury
Georges River
Oatley
North Cronulla

Division 5 North West
Balmain
Colleagues
Dukes
Kings
Maccabi
Saints
Savers
Or 13 side Diviision 5 comp.

Who knows what will happen?
Will Brothers stick with Wakehurst or come back alone?
Is it a Bingham Cup year?
Is it a Maccabiah Games year?
Penrith?
Combined Forces?
Any other rumours of new sides?
Maccabiah next scheduled for 2025, although exactly what that might look like is a little up in the air given the Middle East situation. We’ll struggle to one team this year again I think and take next year as it comes.

I believe there is a Bingham Cup this year in Rome, so possibly no Convicts in regular competition. As much as I like the idea of a regional Div 5, one 12 team division seems better than two 6s.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You're doing good work G. One of the toughest areas to run a club in Sydney due to the amount of competition literally up the road.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Like a lot of clubs it will likely be Feb/March before we will have an idea of numbers at LCOI. Intention at this stage is two grades and Colts.
Loving the work and initiative done by both clubs. Just don’t want to see you thrown to to the wolves by Subbies. Would rather you guys have a successful year and grow.
As you said I would imagine all clubs below div 1 may look different come Feb/March next year. Could see lots of changes.

The ultimate ressie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Division 2 looks stacked
Could this be the year we see the standard of division 2 increase given the two div 1 clubs that have dropped down
Going to make for some good watching
Pats v Petersham round 1

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Actually agree with both Div 1 and Div 2 comps this year.. Only potential exception may have been St Pats to stay up and Forest down to play in derby v Newport :) McCormack will be doing his best to make sure that Subbies is on the rise, so watching him to see what changes he makes.

Challenge now is promoting these to make them well followed competitions and something that local communities will get behind. Making a bit of noise would go a long way to getting crowds back to community rugby now that the Professional scene is loosely followed.

Div 2 predictions for Club Champs

1. St Pats - Will be coming down with a point to prove and seeing them in Div 2 a few years ago when COVID disrupted everything, their 1s were classy and if they have retained their 9/10 combo, will be a epic battle of game management against the up and coming Allen brothers from Newport. Interesting to see how many of their Colts go up.

Odds: $2.01

2. Newport - Newport will always be competitive in the top grade, but could miss out on some key positions (tight 5). Newport have numbers returning and speaking with one of their ex-organisers, they will have 4 grades + colts down at the beaches. Not only Europe Trippers returning but a few ex-1s and 2s filling in lower grades now they have kids old enough to bring along to the games.

Odds: $8

3. Petersham - They have been very vocal around Subbies and expect a few solid imports in top grades. Would be great to see them in their fixture against Pats to see who is going to be the bigger dog out of these two.

Odds: $8.50

4. UNSW - Always strong! But have fallen over at the last hurdle a few times. If they can get some new recruits in 1s and 2s then they will take some stopping come finals time.

Odds: $11

5. Hills - you can't write of the Hills club as they have a great catchment area for recruiting a whole new wave every year. Their top grade has been competitive and 3s and 4s if they can string them together are always class. If they can have some consistency with home games and try to knock off some bigger clubs in 1s throughout the year, can be right in this.

Odds: $21

6. Briars - Something has been brewing here. Having a competitive year at Briars last year in 1s is going to drive the whole club forward and if they can spark a partnership with the Pirates then I'd say they could finish much higher. Question will be in lower grades and colties to see if the 2023 momentum is a one off or if they are in Div 2 to stay.

Odds: $35

7/8. Epping/Beecroft - Can't split these two. Beecroft had a very strong colts in 2022 when they played in the big Div 2 and hopefully we see these guys in high grades in 2024. There is an uncertainty around Beecroft where you just don't know how they will go after a few early losses. They might just fizzle out. Epping has been exciting and have pushed hard to remain a Div 2 club. Colts? If they have numbers here then maybe, just maybe, they could push up this ladder.

Odd: $50

Most interesting topic in Div for me is going to be the player cam across all grades. My favourites to watch out for in 1s;

- St Pats - 9/10
- Newport - 9/10
- Petersham - Back 3
- UNSW - Flying 15 from 2022 if he returns. I heard he was from Southern Districts originally so unsure if he is going to be in their lineup.
- Hills - GIANT number 12 and their 7 is always dominant
- Briars - Big Prop and I believe captain is a cult hero at the club and expect him to show up with the big challenge facing them in 2024
- Epping - Hustling second rower was super impressive last year and took home POY with I think the 7?
- Beecroft - Hard number 12 who troubled this division a few years ago

Last edited:

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Actually agree with both Div 1 and Div 2 comps this year.. Only potential exception may have been St Pats to stay up and Forest down to play in derby v Newport :) McCormack will be doing his best to make sure that Subbies is on the rise, so watching him to see what changes he makes.

Challenge now is promoting these to make them well followed competitions and something that local communities will get behind. Making a bit of noise would go a long way to getting crowds back to community rugby now that the Professional scene is loosely followed.

1. St Pats - Will be coming down with a point to prove and seeing them in Div 2 a few years ago when COVID disrupted everything, their 1s were classy and if they have retained their 9/10 combo, will be a epic battle of game management against the up and coming Allen brothers from Newport. Interesting to see how many of their Colts go up.

2. Newport - Newport will always be competitive in the top grade, but could miss out on some key positions (tight 5). Newport have numbers returning and speaking with one of their ex-organisers, they will have 4 grades + colts down at the beaches. Not only Europe Trippers returning but a few ex-1s and 2s filling in lower grades now they have kids old enough to bring along to the games.

3. Petersham - They have been very vocal around Subbies and expect a few solid imports in top grades. Would be great to see them in their fixture against Pats to see who is going to be the bigger dog out of these two.

4. UNSW - Always strong! But have fallen over at the last hurdle a few times. If they can get some new recruits in 1s and 2s then they will take some stopping come finals time.

5. Hills - you can't write of the Hills club as they have a great catchment area for recruiting a whole new wave every year. Their top grade has been competitive and 3s and 4s if they can string them together are always class. If they can have some consistency with home games and try to knock off some bigger clubs in 1s throughout the year, can be right in this.

6. Briars - Something has been brewing here. Having a competitive year at Briars last year in 1s is going to drive the whole club forward and if they can spark a partnership with the Pirates then I'd say they could finish much higher. Question will be in lower grades and colties to see if the 2023 momentum is a one off or if they are in Div 2 to stay.

7/8. Epping/Beecroft - Can't split these two. Beecroft had a very strong colts in 2022 when they played in the big Div 2 and hopefully we see these guys in high grades in 2024. There is an uncertainty around Beecroft where you just don't know how they will go after a few early losses. They might just fizzle out. Epping has been exciting and have pushed hard to remain a Div 2 club. Colts? If they have numbers here then maybe, just maybe, they could push up this ladder.

Most interesting topic in Div for me is going to be the player cam across all grades. My favourites to watch out for in 1s;

- St Pats - 9/10
- Newport - 9/10
- Petersham - Back 3
- UNSW - Flying 15 from 2022 if he returns. I heard he was from Southern Districts originally so unsure if he is going to be in their lineup.
- Briars - Big Prop and I believe captain is a cult hero at the club and expect him to show up with the big challenge facing them in 2024
- Epping - Hustling second rower was super impressive last year and took home POY with I think the 7?
St Pats finished last in 1st grade last year FYI

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)

*Gamble responsibly.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

- St Pats - 9/10
- Newport - 9/10
- Petersham - Back 3
I’ll put my money down on UNSW. OP could take a massive hit throwing odds out like that!

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

- St Pats - 9/10
- Newport - 9/10
- Petersham - Back 3

Judging from what I am hearing around the beaches can you put me down for $100 on Newport at $8 to take the CC's please.

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
How do suggest we make more noise longtimelistener?

Assign some of the subbies budgeting to marketing on socials. Invest more in the NSW Rugby TV promotions and audience reach. Partner with someone to do podcast style interviews or at least blogs. Rep games. Shute Shield or Tahs curtain raiser fixtures. Night Games. Stan/Nine Network has an impressive facility for someone to run a show or at least record some content.

Plenty of options. Just need someone to get stuck into it. Im sure if they approached some volunteers they'd try get it up and running for year 1.