• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Hills not listed for Colts in the list above - if not now then when? doesn't get any easier once the season starts.

I might be late to the party but has 4th Grade Richardson Cup been cancelled? I know there was early optimism it would be back but early indicators are Div 2 4th Grade will be a Halligan DIY draw...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This weekends trials.

We've got a few more planned than this - got to get players there of course :)

1712047091114.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hills not listed for Colts in the list above - if not now then when? doesn't get any easier once the season starts.

I might be late to the party but has 4th Grade Richardson Cup been cancelled? I know there was early optimism it would be back but early indicators are Div 2 4th Grade will be a Halligan DIY draw...

All the draws published to date are here:

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)

3rd grade will be 6 teams with no beecroft or epping
4th grade will be 4 teams with no briars, beecroft, epping and historically newport
colts will be 6 teams with no hills or epping

if those matches are telling them lane cove ignatians are only putting one grade out for their trial as well

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
3rd grade will be 6 teams with no beecroft or epping
4th grade will be 4 teams with no briars, beecroft, epping and historically newport
colts will be 6 teams with no hills or epping

if those matches are telling them lane cove ignatians are only putting one grade out for their trial as well
Reckon there's a game missing/typo for LCOI judging by the 2 hour gap in kick off times.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Reliably hearing that Gordon are horarding a zillion colts this year. I know Shute Shield clubs offer better facilities than most subbies clubs. ( not all) but surely getting a run is more important than not. Has to be impacting colts numbers in the surrounding subbies clubs.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Maybe its time for subbies to revisit the no grade colts in the comp. Surely a 4th grade Gordon or easts playing for Hills or the Rams giving the other 6 teams game makes sense rather than more byes?

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
What concerns me is that if clubs are struggling 10 days out from Round 1, how will they be faring in Round 7? Once injuries, holidays, disinterest, backing up and potentially big score lines set in seems like a recipe for forfeits.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Reliably hearing that Gordon are horarding a zillion colts this year ... Has to be impacting colts numbers in the surrounding subbies clubs.

And they're not the only ones - yet we still have Lindfield, Chatswood, Knox, LCOIRFC, and Brothers all within spitting distance, with Colts.

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
What concerns me is that if clubs are struggling 10 days out from Round 1, how will they be faring in Round 7? Once injuries, holidays, disinterest, backing up and potentially big score lines set in seems like a recipe for forfeits.

Its a concern but I think the right call is not to stretch them into committing to an amount of grades which forces players to back up.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Let’s hope this east coast low doesn’t eventuate!! The boys need game time
Did someone mention my name! Its been a long off season. Looking forward to some cracking games this weekend. Surely the Councils see the forecast for 27 and Sunny on Saturday. The grounds will survive.
Any updates from the Div 1 clubs on Player movement or new recruits?

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
It might be time to consider a competition model that prioritises divisions based on team quality, not keeping all of a club‘s teams in the same division.

BJT

Peter Burge (5)
Anything is better than yet another two weeks off and a bye. Clubs have commitments to sponsors and support groups that would be left in the lurch. They will be playing first grade regardless of the division they get thrown into.
First grade Division 4 isnt the same as Division 2 though (no disrespect to Division 4). So we'd rather risk destroying one club to ensure the others can meet all their own obligations....

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Its a concern but I think the right call is not to stretch them into committing to an amount of grades which forces players to back up.
Agreed and it's a fair point although the other side to it is there will be Subbies clubs that can't get a game for their players each week. You can't win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know Shute Shield clubs offer better facilities than most subbies clubs. ( not all) but surely getting a run is more important than not.

Apparently not these days, Crashy. New generation of being seen to do something, not actually doing it.