• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

T20 WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am a bit like all you cricket lot and prefer the test version but the T20 is getting hot now. Pretty interesting to see the dancer dancing in sweaters in England compare to our lot do their thing in much better feathers. Pretty nice to see the Hollanders beating England and West India show one guy can make or break this one in Gayle destroying your lot. Think our lot is in perfect shape at the moment due to the IPL here and AB blasting the Skotte. A Saffer playing a key role for them and England helpless without another Saffer. Teusday its the Black Caps against us and should be cracker one. Roelof van der Merwe has grow in a real good player for us.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gayle was awesome. He looks like the coolest dude in world cricket and just oozes raw power when he's got the willow. Handy bloke to have on your team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep he did that to us a few times. Was watching a bit yesterday but hell it have to be difficult to bowl to a batter that squatter them all over the place. Spinners usually do the trick but as a bowler you have to have a very thick skin to get over the physicolly ranks when bowling on that flat decks and to bowl it right their in the block hole, ball after ball.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hard luck for the Aussies leaving but thats T20 for you. One man can change proceedings and today its going be a big day for the Proteas vs the Caps. Luckily I am here so hope our lot will pull it through.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
By the way , saw last night on the news there is talk that Symonds may ply his trade in SA in the future? Any rumours that side?

F

formeropenside

PaarlBok said:
By the way , saw last night on the news there is talk that Symonds may ply his trade in SA in the future? Any rumours that side?

I've seen nothing to that effect. I'd have thought the IPL was where the money is, and its easy money for not a lot of work.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What a exciting match between us and the Caps last night. A one run win and if I havent know better maybe Hansie cooked this one. Thought the Caps would take it easy after some excellent bowling and fielding. We'll take the one run victory tho and remember pretty well what a one run loss can do to the moral. Agree with Kepler we need Gibbs at the top of the order and Albie to come in with more then 5 overs to go. Thats our two main weapons in the T20.

Now we are in a tough group but thats OK. If you want to win this thing its better to get in the tough ones and stick it out. Must say our bowling attack now is the perfect one for variousion. Quick as lighting right hand Steyn, leftie Parnell, Kallis and Morkel but the important one in this format is the spinners and we have three now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Jessie our lot delt clinical with the Poms last night. Dominate from first ball to last. If you look at the way Parnell & Roelof (Brutes Bull Dog) fitring in and adding to the team, it almost feel unbelievable. Kallis batted superb and just gave the Poms no change. Must say I love the new kid on the block for the Poms, the leg breaker, think he may prove to be a factor in the ashes but really I cant see those lot coming close to the Aussies in the ashes. To much of a KP show for the Poms. Anyway a tough one on sunday vs India.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd like to see Australia do something different with 20/20.

Now admittedly I haven't watched any of this tournament, but I think we need to change how we approach it.

I'd start by asking Shane Warne if he would coach our national 20/20 team and then that team would operate completely separately from the test and ODI team. Now there may be some overlap with players (not many I am thinking), but Warnie is the 20/20 man.

Then we ditch the like of Punter, Clarke, Hussey, Lee, Clark etc.

Its a 20/20 team specifically. Something like:

1 David Warner
2 Phil Hughes
3 Brad Hodge
4 Lee Carseldine
5 Callum Ferguson
6 Marcus North
7 Adam Voges
8 Cameron White
9 Moses Henriques
10 Jason Krejza
11 Shaun Tait

12 Nathan Reardon
13 Chris Simpson
14 Dirk Nannes

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Brilliant Noddy, I've only got a few small changes.

Warney to be coach AND captain. Ian Chappel as team manager. Sutherland to report directly to Chappel on all T20 matters.

Roy to rejoin the squad and given the responsibility for the team drinking song. Anyone not drinking to Roy's song will face disciplanary action (tequilla).

Think you're a bit light on for bowlers as well..... wouldn't expect to get 4 out of both white and henriques.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think you have it spot on Nods. The T20 should be use as a stepping stone to the ultimate Test cricket. Interesting fact from Ray Jennings a coach I do rate and according to him a experience test cricketer should adapt easy into the T20. Kallis one of his team players in the IPL and he worked with him. Last night we chase a small target but I want to watch Kallis now when we bat first to see his applications. I still think he struglled in the test arena due to this playing shots which was just not on and getting out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moses. I'd be relying on Hodge, Carseldine and North to bowl a few too. Hopes might need a spot too I guess.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA delt quite easily with the West Indies yesterday. Was a bit of running between the rugby and a look on the TV in the box and once again the 19 year old Parnell doing the damage. One foot in the semis and hopefull we show we can do it when it matters. India & Sri Lanka look like good teams.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
barbarian said:
And you wouldn't be able to play Nannes- he turned out for the Dutch at this WC.
I'm not sure on the eligibility rules for T20.. does this exclude him from ever representing Australia in Tests?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
looked it up... interesting story so here's the whole thing...
Dirk Nannes is more Australian than Dutch, but bowled the first ball of the Twenty20 world championships wearing a bright orange shirt. He is more Victorian than Indian, but soon will be forced into a choice between his home state and his Delhi Indian Premier League franchise.

It's a decision he is dreading, but a reality in the age of scrambled allegiances for which the 33-year-old was a symbol as he stepped onto the international stage on Friday at Lord's, where Holland pulled off one of the great upsets in limited-overs history.

"It's weird," the fast bowler said before making his debut for the Netherlands. "I've been playing for so many teams lately, four different teams in the past year (including English county Middlesex). It's a bit strange." He takes a moment to think about which team he feels most attached to.

Dutch is the language his parents spoke at home when they didn't want the kids to understand what they were saying. "When the guys here speak I can tell what they're talking about but I can't really speak it," Nannes said of his Netherlands teammates. "I'm pretty much the new guy in town." Middlesex was the county that hired him as a Kolpak player courtesy of his Dutch passport, and Delhi was shopping for an express fast bowler.

Victoria, Nannes says after a while, feels most like home, "because I've played for them the most and that's my full-time job. That's not to say if I go out and play with everyone else I won't feel the same after a while".

Nannes can no longer play for Middlesex because he pledged his first-class allegiance to the Bushrangers last summer, but will face a very modern dilemma in choosing whether he plays for Delhi or Victoria in the Champions League Twenty20 in October. If he represents the Daredevils, his home state will receive $250,000 in compensation.

"How the hell is that my choice then?" Nannes said. "I think it's a bit hard that the player chooses because that's a conflict of interest, I would have thought. I'd like it if we didn't have the choice."

Nannes excels at Twenty20 because "I bowl fast with the wrong arm, for a start. I guess I can be unpredictable and when I'm bowling well I have a way of being able to produce dot balls when I need to". These talents have enabled him to travel the world but they were not recognised when the Australian selectors named an initial squad of 30 for the tournament.

Nannes instead used his parents' heritage to join the Netherlands, but under International Cricket Council rules that does not preclude him from being picked for Australia another time.

"I can play for Holland one day, Australia the next, but I can't go the other way," he said. "If they want to pick me, sure, of course I'd love to.

"They announced their intentions when they didn't put me in the 30, so I'm not holding my breath."

Nannes is adamant that his comments should not be construed as bitterness, which is not to say he wouldn't have liked some recognition for his success with Victoria.

"I've got nothing to prove, I'm just a bloke going out and playing cricket and whatever comes my way comes my way," Nannes said. "I've been close to the leading wicket-taker in Australia in Twenty20 for two years … You just want to be recognised, to say, 'Bloody hell, you're doing all right.'

"There's never been any recognition of that. It's not that you're not playing, because at the end of the day if it comes down to a squad of 15 I'm not going to get a game, I know that."

Nannes has also aroused English curiosities this week because of his non-cricketing talents, which include elite skiing and speaking Japanese, though his ski business is being run by someone else while he builds his cricket career.

He kept Glenn McGrath out of the Delhi team, but insists it was a team balance thing and earned rave reviews from India's maverick opener Virender Sehwag.

"I don't think about cricket all day every day like some people, and that's been of huge benefit to me," he said.

"I don't stress about it if I have a couple of shit games, but I am enjoying it while I'm doing it."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...-teams-go-dutch/2009/06/06/1244234422022.html

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Now India also gone after last night. Watch the Poms batting and thought they have to less runs to defend but it seems to be enough. That should boost our changes. Tomorrow match now no meaning.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Watch the cricket last night and hell the Proteas sure look in top notch at the moment. Pretty cool to beat India with spin and a good sight to see their heads down and out after the loss. They sure tie our lot in the past with spin and again Roelof van der Merwe tied them down and beat them all ends up in his spell. Only got one wicket but if he did not concede that 6 in his last over he sure would have had great figures. AB de Villiers also in top form with the bat. Thats one department we still can improve a lot going in the semi against Pakistan on thursday. Two to go!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
PaarlBok said:
hell the Proteas sure look in top notch at the moment.
Choked again....... the Proteas really are the All Blacks of Cricket
Yep and not Kallis fault. Smith, Gibbs & AB cost us this one but credit to Pakistan , they beat Sri Lanka in the final and peak just at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.