• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tah player exodus

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Probably a media beat up but scary nonetheless http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/waugh-could-start-something/2009/03/28/1237657201272.html

WARATAHS officials are braced for a mass player exodus should veteran skipper Phil Waugh pull the pin on his illustrious 11-season career with the Sydney franchise and accept an offer to play Welsh rugby.

With 13 other players off contract at season's end - including stars Matt Dunning, Dean Mumm, Kurtley Beale, Rob Horne, Adam Freier, Tom Carter, Brett Sheehan and Daniel Halangahu - a Waratahs insider says a decision by Waugh to leave could have a detrimental flow-on effect for the team.

"He's the heart and soul of the club and all of the players have a lot respect for him. He's the reason a lot of them are here in the first place," the insider said.

"There are a number of players who are waiting on Phil to make his decision before they commit themselves, and the other blokes realise that he could trigger a mass exodus.

"It's a big deal. If four or five leave as a result of Phil, then a few of the other blokes could well decide to leave on account of that.

"If everyone decides to go, then it's going to make it harder for the blokes who want to stay. It'll definitely hold some weight in their decisions."

They seem to be tipping Sekope Kepu, Beau Robinson, Will Caldwell and Tatafu Polota-Nau to go overseas. The cupboard is pretty bare so that would be brutal.

Caldwell - can't afford to lose another lock. But there's plenty of guys ahead of him for a Wallabies jersey so career wise would make sense for him.

TPN is a lock for the Wallaby 22, so it would come as a surprise.

Kepu is just establishing himself. I'd be surprised if there's a market for him in Europe. And I'm skeptical Beale would be get any decent offers from league. Dunning gone, no doubt about it.

If Waugh goes overseas, surely Beau Robinson stays and relishes the Tahs openside spot for a couple of years at least.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Seems more of the Sydney Uni mafia crap.

If Phil Waugh leaves everyone else goes too?

:nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Seems more of the Sydney Uni mafia crap.

If Phil Waugh leaves everyone else goes too?

:nta:
Largely a media beat-up for sure.
The level of paranoia about the Sydney Uni Mafia is getting a bit over the top, no?
TPN would be a bonehead to go, as would Kepu.
There may be a grain of reality in it though - there is a real tendency now for players to throw all the toys out if they think they aint getting enough love from the Wallaby selectors and look OS for more (and probably easier) cash. If Robinson was hard-headed he may think that being behind Smith and Pocock for Wallaby honours was enough reason to piss off. Prob same for Caldwell. Beale...who knows?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Is Caldwell really that far off a gold jersey?

He is behind Horwill if he is fit and, probably behind Sharpe and Chisolm. Mumm is a lock/6 as is MMM so, in my book, those two are competing for the same spot. Kimlin seems to also consider himself a lock/6. Van is probably too old. Caldwell is there or there abouts if you ask me.

Oz rugby media is rubbish. This article quotes John Connolly who always has an agenda. Usually its NSW instability but not exclusively. He is a moron. It also quotes an unnamed source - Growden is such a rodent and he is probably training up Josh Radic as his assistant rodent.

I dont think its the Sydney Uni mafia. I think its the rent a quote, bs media mafia.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cutter said:
media mafia.

Mafia intimates some kind of organisation - they're media MAGGOTS. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe they could take a turn talking about the game instead of trying to shit-stir.

Status
Not open for further replies.