• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

tahs turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Brumbies were the only team not to record a loss last year... so they've generally done well...

This year they will record a loss after seeing the lowest crowds since 1999... and much of that has to do with what's also happened off the field...

They should bounce back... the Brumbies have been the #1 sporting franchise in the ACT since their inception, and with a bit of success the crowds will return...

Slim293: Fair points indeed. And I have openly congratulated the ACTRU for, at last, having the guts to appoint what we all hope will be a breakthrough, world-class coach in White when they could so easily have gone timid again and opted for some unproven, non-threatening second ranker. This is just the type of boldness and leadership courage Aus rugby needs, IMO.

Now many of us are really looking forward to a White-led Brumbies in 2012! And it would not have escaped your notice the fan that here noted recently that he and his mates had cancelled their 2011 Brumbies membership, they were so disillusioned. BUT, with the White announcement, they decided to take up new 2012 memberships! That shows the benefits of a renewed leadership focus, taking good decisions, and rebuilding fan optimism based on substance, not treating fans like necessary irritants.

Now we wait with passionate interest: will the NSWRU seek a radical, bold plan of multiple upgrades to rebuild the Waratahs as true champions, or merely seek self-defensive, relatively timid incremental changes that fix nothing, in fundamental terms.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the recruitment of White has helped the membership cause along with the focus on young talent...

Despite the mostly inexperienced playing roster I think people are somewhat excited about what the future may hold and that has in a way curbed the disappointment fans felt after two poor seasons...

Despite not having made the finals since 2004 the Brumbies' membership numbers have always remained fairly high when compared to the other Aussie franchises...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Now we wait with passionate interest: will the NSWRU seek a radical, bold plan of multiple upgrades to rebuild the Waratahs as true champions, or merely seek self-defensive, relatively timid incremental changes that fix nothing, in fundamental terms.

We will know by October whether the Tahs are up for fundamental change or just changes to the edges. The CEO has had the 2011 campaign to look at from the inside and review, since he came on board late last year. He's seen some good things and some bad things, unfortunately the bad things (falling crowds and upset fans) go pretty deep into the organisation. Certainly the one thing that does not appear to be a problem is that those inside appear to be deeply committed to the Tahs. You could pick that up from episodes of the Code. I've not seen any sense yet that there's a lot of internecine strife between areas and people (like there clearly is in Brumbyland). It could be there, but if it is its well hidden. But it really looks like it is an organisation highly internally committed to its cause but making decisions that are ineffective and poorly thought through. That's fixable with strong leadership. I like that in the post season review all areas have to report back to the CEO in written form. No rushing to judgement. We haven't seen much of the Board group though. According to Grumbles Growden its highly disfunctional, but then again his next accurate insightful report will also be his first.

Of more concern to me is the fact that the financial instability is happening at all levels of the Union. The ARU is in difficulties, exacerbated by the loss of revenue in a world cup year. Three out of five franchises are struggling financially and down at the next level some of the clubs in the strongest club competition are close to insolvency. There's no money for a nine million dollar bailout like the Adelaide Power got anywhere in the total organisation and no new TV contract to give a capital injection. So regeneration at all levels has to come from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.