• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Cheetahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think its just you Sully. I think they are desperate for 5 points and plan to go all out for it.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Two dads has been ruled out with back spams so carraro has come onto the bench in this place.
I have tipped the tahs for this weekend (more with my heart than head) as I suspect they will win this to get my hopes up, only to lose to the lions to miss out.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I think its just you Sully. I think they are desperate for 5 points and plan to go all out for it.
They may be desperate for 5 points, but getting them is another issue.
Oh, wait, you mean they might score A TRY! ;D

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
mark_s said:
Two dads has been ruled out with back spams so carraro has come onto the bench in this place.
I have tipped the tahs for this weekend (more with my heart than head) as I suspect they will win this to get my hopes up, only to lose to the lions to miss out.

I don't mind Carraro as a player actually. I think he's a more attacking running player than a lot of other Tahs players. I still think Carraro should have gotten a go ahead of Playford, but then again I don't know how well they have trained.

On the Carter subject, I read a Freier column recently where he described Carter as "the heart and soul of the backline", and a great team man who took the fall willingly to improve the side. Either way, he should have been dropped a long long time ago - he's not the player you want as the heart and soul of any backline who aims to score points.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
mark_s said:

I don't mind Carraro as a player actually. I think he's a more attacking running player than a lot of other Tahs players. I still think Carraro should have gotten a go ahead of Playford, but then again I don't know how well they have trained.

On the Carter subject, I read a Freier column recently where he described Carter as "the heart and soul of the backline", and a great team man who took the fall willingly to improve the side. Either way, he should have been dropped a long long time ago - he's not the player you want as the heart and soul of any backline who aims to score points.
Did he identify if the backline had a brain?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So Waratah backline anatomy.

Fullback (SNK) was the eyes
Wings (Lachie and Lote) are the ears right?
Centres (Carter) the heart and sole.
Continuing to move down the body, its quite clear what Halangahu and Sheehan are. Feel free to paraphrase Paul Keating.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Noddy said:
So Waratah backline anatomy.

Fullback (SNK) was the eyes
Wings (Lachie and Lote) are the ears right?
Centres (Carter) the heart and sole.
Continuing to move down the body, its quite clear what Halangahu and Sheehan are. Feel free to paraphrase Paul Keating.
Actually Noddy you've got it wrong.
SNK is the nose (seriously, have you seen it??)
Turner is the chin (ditto)
Lote is the mouth - no explanation required.
Tahu is the hammy
Beale the flapping wings and gut
Carter the heart and soul (big task there)
Burgess what's left of the brain after the explosion
Sheehan is what's left after multiple brain explosions - sort of a wizened walnut sized brain

S

steiner

And Scott Wisemantel's the sphincter and larynx who releases a load of shit when he talks.

Geez Hickey/Wisemantel come up with some strange selections. Why would you not pick Burgess when he was the only back showing form, and you have to score 4 tries? Tuqiri, Turner could be in form but we wouldn't know it. Perhaps that was the problem. Since Burgess is the halfback there was no way of denying him ball and producing attacking plays, so he had to be dropped! Perhaps Luke was not following the "eyes and ears" policy and playing on instinct, a cardinal sin in this team.

I suppose the coaches were a bit limitted in what they could do given the injuries to Horne and SNK, so they've had to pick Beale at 12 to spark something. This backline could definitely produce some interesting attacking plays and apparently they've run this combination in pre-season training so hopefully there will be some fluency there. Should also produce some spectacular fuck-ups though and provide the Cheetahs with some good go-forward ball through 10/12/13 channels, basically the backline. I suppose that's the plan, if they score plenty we'll score more. The Waratah forwards will have to keep them on the backfoot to give this backline a chance to defend properly.

I quite like Turner at fullback and Playford's an underrated player with good instincts. But he's not that fast and Cheetahs have some quick wingers I think. So Turner to fullback and Playford to wing? Lachie might be doing a bit of cover defence tonight.

Even if this combination does work against the Cheetahs it could be a bit scary if they maintain it for the Sharks match.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
steiner said:
and Cheetahs have some quick wingers I think.

And as everybody else thinks.

Good post steiner.

I have known Playford since he was at the Joeys school where he was a gem in a not very good team. Naturally one thinks about how a good schools player will be as a senior, but I heard talk that he wasn't a great trainer. This rings true, because most of us would have seen good schoolboy players who could shine with what nature gave them, but after they had left the school gates for the last time, had trouble in the real world of senior rugby.

He left our game for league and then found his way back. He's lost pace since he was at school, but he is still a good player especially near the goal line. The Cheetahs should know this and try to turn him around.

As I wrote earlier: the Cheetahs were dudded with the draw but now they are back at home have managed to beat the S14 favourites this year, the Sharks, and last years champions, the Crusaders. They also had their foot on the Brumbies throat at half time.

I dont think, and the Tahs won't think, that the game against the Cheetahs will be a stroll in the park but some Aussies think it will be.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
Ash said:
mark_s said:

Keep thrashwanking over Tuqiri and Turner. Funny how when Carter isn't there, they are still epic gimps.

Looking forward to your posts where you express surprise and dismay at the matador defence of the Tahs midfield.

S

Spook

Beale was excellent tonight as were Palu, Waugh and most of the Tah pack.

I have to say I think Turner is grossly overrated. He lacks physicality and gets bundled into touch too easily. I'd like to see him develop a step, swerve and fend. Was ok in defense and kicked well though. A Wallaby winger? Not yet.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Turner is class. no doubt. Just needs to play in a good backline.

Also: "Great ball from Norton-Knight". I'm tearing my hair out.

And Paarl:
PaarlBok said:
Scarfman said:
Waratahs currently paying $1.75. I'm all over it. Very confident. Lock of the round.
Shite Doc you going to lose some coin there. :nta:

Ka-ching. Hookers are on me, boys.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Basically the whole pack had a blinder, destroying the Cheetahs in the scrum, lineout and loose. Waugh was epic, Caldwell an unsung hero, Palu a warhorse. But Mowen, despite the lineout success, three words; FUCKEN PASS IT.

As for the girls. You saw the madness of Beale being previously left out. Gahu is out of his depth but can take the heat off KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10. Lakky showed glimpses. Tahu can run straight. Lote - that try - what the fuck? Playford, you?re as much a S14 winger as I am.

Gutsy effort though. I?m sick of giving them shit. With all the good shit they do and ball they get, how are they not killing it? Someone ask Hickey.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
cyclopath said:
Ash said:
mark_s said:

Keep thrashwanking over Tuqiri and Turner. Funny how when Carter isn't there, they are still epic gimps.

Looking forward to your posts where you express surprise and dismay at the matador defence of the Tahs midfield.
WTF are you talking about?? To whom is your drivel directed?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How come no one has mentioned Carter actually got into space and even passed the ball?

His 2009 Highlights reel just doubled!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Noddy said:
How come no one has mentioned Carter actually got into space and even passed the ball?

was this for sydney uni ?

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Noddy said:

Fair play to him. Nice ball by Beale to put him into space as well.

Carter is dependable - gotta give him that. Maybe he could have a wing spot with free reign to be dependable all over the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That was a lot better, great display from the pigs.

Tahu got some ball in space and showed what he can do

Beale was great, brave, defensively solid and creative

Playford just doesn't have the pace for this level, like Carter another "solid and safe" player.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pretty good effort, although I think they may end up ruing the fact that they did not get a bonus point from that game. They really should have put 20 or 30 on the Cheetahs.

The only players that didn't fire were Halangahu and Playford. Everyone else had their moments, and Beale was especially good at 12 with a bit more space and time. Thought Turner and Palu stamped their class on that game, as did the front row.

Good signs for next week, because I think it will be a must win.

Status
Not open for further replies.