• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watched the game and expected the worst reading a few comments on here. Not the best match, that's for sure but not as bad as some make out. Barnes definitely had a bad night and looks out of sorts.

What's with all the over the top criticism of Anesi? Took the high ball well, defended well, and made a half break or two, despite the shit ball he was given.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I haven't seen those games (I live in Adelaide now so I have to live on the reports of others) but what I have seen from all the S14 games on Fox tells me that the Tahs are not functioning like a champion team, or anything remotely resembling it. Players who were playing well a year or two ago and really developing can't get a run and some members of the run-on team are looking like hacks.

In times like these a good coach would have made changes two weeks ago so he could try Nadolo, Betham, McCaffrey, McKibbin etc. Against those two bottom teams I do not believe trying most of them could have conceivably made things any bit worse. We'd still have two wins and we would have learned something, maybe unearthed something. Sometimes a player not playing completely in the reserves will step up big time. You have to try things before you can eliminate them from the plan. And this season the JW's only lost once - if only a few can step up what does that say about the other teams?

At the same time you send a message to the "stars" that there are no guarantees if you don't perform. That message is not being transmitted. After the loss to the Tah's, Ewen reputably flew into his team, making them absolutely aware that poor performance would not be tolerated. Shaw still hasn't appeared on the team sheet after that game. Is there anyone who seriously believes Hickey has made this clear to any of the "stars"? If so, why hasn't he acted on the repeat offenders? In reality I do not think there is any chance of an appearance in the final unless there is dramatic improvement, and Hickey has no sense of urgency. Lose against the Blues and that is 3 losses, which I think is the limit for top two, and we still have to play the Brumbies, Chiefs, Hurricanes and Crusaders. Lose two of those plus the Blues and we are totally out of it. This is a real crunch game, but all I hear is "steady as she goes", with the "possibility" that Horne might start. After what we saw last Saturday, that is the wrong message.

This is the wrong week to try some of the JW's - that's what we should have done over the last two weeks. But as I said in the post, the 22 needs some major reorganisation. We'll see tomorrow when the team is announced.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
spectator said:
What's with all the over the top criticism of Anesi? Took the high ball well, defended well, and made a half break or two, despite the shit ball he was given.

So do you think he is the best player the Waratahs have for the fullback position?

In many ways he fits perfectly into what appears to be the style of play Hickey wants for the Tahs: conservative and pedestrian. My main problem with him is not so much that he made no 'full' breaks against the Force - it is that he has made pretty much no 'full' breaks against anyone. Has he scored any half tries (2.5 points each)?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Gagger said:
Until those last two turnovers (when Hodgson was off the field?) Waugh was seriously shown up by the Force number 7.

For the last turnover, Hodgson was the ball carrier who was penalised.

C

CanadianRugby

spectator said:

For me, its mostly when Anesi hits the line with never seems to beat a defender. Also, his kicking is only okay. I'd rather have Turner or Beale back at 15, at least try them out for a few games. I only leave Mitchell out because I wouldn't want to mess with him too much right now. Leave on the wing to do whatever he wants, just as long as he keeps scoring.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Mitchell has been the only good back the Tahs have had this year and that is factoring in the game environment he is playing in. Halangahu has been decent and Turner at least interested. Beale is looking better with every match because the others have had most of the game time, and that leaves him smelling like a rose.

No stats anybody please.

If one bold stroke is to be made I would start with scrummie McKibbin, based on his play for the JWs. Just get him to dish the ball out as soon as he gets it as though he is chanting a mantra. Then see what happens.

If it doesn't work we have at least excused Burgess.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree with the sentiments. I'd start Holmes this week with those same instructions and wait till next week to give McKibbin some game time against the Cheetahs. On performance so far I'd rate Horne with Hangers and Turner as not too bad considering what they're working with.

What I think is crucial this week is the detailed gameplan we are going to use to shut down the Blues backline and break the Blues open through the forwards. I hope we've got one, without it we will be beaten badly.

Maybe we need a strategy where we knock on a lot and throw crooked so we can pack a lot of scrums. That's one area of weakness the Blues definitely have. ;)

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
Mitchell has been the only good back the Tahs have had this year and that is factoring in the game environment he is playing in. Halangahu has been decent and Turner at least interested. Beale is looking better with every match because the others have had most of the game time, and that leaves him smelling like a rose.

No stats anybody please.

If one bold stroke is to be made I would start with scrummie McKibbin, based on his play for the JWs. Just get him to dish the ball out as soon as he gets it as though he is chanting a mantra. Then see what happens.

If it doesn't work we have at least excused Burgess.

Well said. Burgess and Holmes are almost indistinguishable in style, neither of them has the acceleration to capitalise on small gaps around the ruck and each loves to hog the ball. And, while I'm at it, they're dud passers which when added to Hangers popgun pass means that the ball travels wide with absolutely no speed and consequently no fluency in backline movement. Tah's problem in a nutshell.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I get to disagree

Burgess & Holmes are quick. Holmes is of Turner's pace.

My issue was the laziness and lack of structure of the forwards. Last season playing shit rugby, a forward ball carrier had at least one supporter on his hip driving through the tackle. This week we saw one out running with no support, with the runner being gang tackled.

We then saw the Tahs go to the maul and get splattered and splintered - what happened there we were good at it last year?

We have seen how they are supposed to play in the Bulls game. Burgess moves laterally and the are forward ball carriers in motion inside and outside. That requires the defenders to focus on ball runners letting Burgess snipe as the gaps occur and mix it up

Now look at Saturday, Burgess was struggling to find ball runners in motion with Nau the only guy putting his hand up at times and often from a standing start.

P

PhucNgo

fatprop said:
I get to disagree

My issue was the laziness and lack of structure of the forwards. Last season playing shit rugby, a forward ball carrier had at least one supporter on his hip driving through the tackle. This week we saw one out running with no support, with the runner being gang tackled.

We then saw the Tahs go to the maul and get splattered and splintered - what happened there we were good at it last year?

We have seen how they are supposed to play in the Bulls game. Burgess moves laterally and the are forward ball carriers in motion inside and outside. That requires the defenders to focus on ball runners letting Burgess snipe as the gaps occur and mix it up

Now look at Saturday, Burgess was struggling to find ball runners in motion with Nau the only guy putting his hand up at times and often from a standing start.

FP I agree with you in regard to the lacklustre performance of the Tah's forwards, TPN being the exception. This was the Shork's game all over again and not the smart, short passing game from previous week. With regard to the Tah's backline, the lack of fluency has been a feature throughout last year and this. Regarding Burgess and Holmes, I'm talking about acceleration over the first 10-15 metres, which clearly neither of them have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
fatprop said:
I get to disagree

FP I agree with you in regard to the lacklustre performance of the Tah's forwards, TPN being the exception. This was the Shork's game all over again and not the smart, short passing game from previous week. With regard to the Tah's backline, the lack of fluency has been a feature throughout last year and this. Regarding Burgess and Holmes, I'm talking about acceleration over the first 10-15 metres, which clearly neither of them have.

If the pigs aren't going forward, there isn't any space for a 9 to exploit

C

CanadianRugby

I'm with FP. Burgess' best skill is his snipes around the ruck. I remember when Burgess first came up one of the things everyone loved about him was he went in, dug the ball out and threw it, quickly. I think the standing around, the inability to find forwards running on to the ball etc... has more to do with organization than a single player's talent.

Organizational ability could have to do with bad coaching or people not being focused. Either way, its hardly the 9s fault.

Not that I'm against starting Holmes or McKibbin, I just don't think its going to fix anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom