• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Carter is also on for Tahu, Freier on for TPN, 57 gone or so.

SNK kicks his first shocker off the night. Kicking in this game has been woeful, but the Tahs have probably been worse.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They just showed a highlights package of the Tahs scrum being on top - apart from the one just earlier, of course.

Another average clearing kick from a steady scrum, but the Tahs steal the lineout ball and a good cutout from Beale to Horne sees a good half break. And another half break from Beale - he's looked very good with the ball in hand. Then Burgess puts in a stupid grubber, but the Tahs get the lineout - and Freier throws it straight to the Canes.

Horne and Beale have looked very good with the ball in hand, but the Tahs have had some definite passengers.

Carter monstered in midfield and turns the ball over.

Tahs have gone hard at the breakdown and generally done much better there than the Canes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yet another strong Tahs scrum forces a turnover 10m out from their own line and snuffs out another Canes attack.

Lineout and scrums been very good and dominant for the Tahs tonight...and then they put in yet another shit kick that comes down 25m out from their own line (missed who it was). Turner lucky not to get pinged for a tackle in the air.

Tahs needs to do more off the back of their steady scrum. Palu crabs sideways then forwards to give the ball stupidly away. Waugh has a pointless whine to the ref and is covered in blood and will have to go off.

Thomson is on. Not sure for who, if it is Waugh or not. Guess it is, so Mowen or Mumm at openside?? It's Mumm at openside. Bizarre.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Canes finally get a try after lots of pressure and good defence from the Tahs.

Tuqiri left a huge gap in the second channel from the ruck, Mathewson with a good cut-out sees Coles the hooker over from 5m out, Canes convert. 19 - 15 to the Tahs after 68 minutes, and it's game on.

Tahs still scoreless in the second half. If it remains as it is I get my margin. Go Tahs defence.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sheehan on for Burgess after 69 minutes.

Beale hits a nice crossfield kick to Turner who takes it low, Horne wraps cleverly and shows some great pace to run 25m and gets over in the corner. Bonus point try, and it was a great one.

Palu looks in trouble after stepping on someone's head in a ruck earlier. Ref missed it, but the citing commissioner won't.

Beale kicks a nice conversion, and the Tahs are up 26 - 15 after 71 minutes.

HOLY SHIT!

Canes with a try off the kickoff. Sloppy from the Tahs. My margin is back! Game on again.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thomson made a complete hash of the kick off mid air. Thrush sheds a few tackles and offloaded to Gear. Canes get the conversion and it's back to a 4 point ball game with 8 minutes to go.

Tahs need to settle and play territory, perhaps look for a droppy.

Beale knocks on trying to take a silly Canes bomb midfield, but then the Canes knock on too.

6 minutes to go, Canes ball on the 50m.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Crap, Tahs give away a penalty at the scrum for Robinson boring. Canes lineout at the 22. Robinson was definitely in at an angle. Silly, damnit - and right in front of the ref.

Canes parked on the Tahs 22, the rucks are a massive scrap. The Canes need to do more or they'll turn it over, but they make slow ground. Stupid mistake from Palu (runs around and tackles the halfback with the ball not even in sight) sees a penalty awarded with 3 minutes to go. Probably lucky not to get a card. Canes penalty 15m out - they will have to go for the lineout.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes! Tahs turn it over from the lineout 10m out, and get a free kick. Need a good clearing kick. Beale takes it, should've given it to SNK, and it's a Canes lineout on the 40m. Why not give it to SNK?

Yes! ANOTHER turnover from the Canes lineout, Beale puts up a silly midfield bomb, and the Canes have it on their 40m and geta free kick. 1 minute to go!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tahs don't come through the gate and get a warning - Canes penalty with 10 seconds to go on the halfway line. They can't get it out! Siren goes as they take a tap. 26 - 22 to the Tahs - and they turn it over! Sheehan kicks it out, Tahs deserve their win. And I get my margin. Score.

Good game, good start to the Tahs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So let me get this straight: Tahs backline has been good with ball in hand, but now feel they need to kick it away? ::) Madness...

At least we fucking won.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To win away from home against the Huricanes with only 22% of territory is a top effort, and it's good to see the legendary Tahs defence has survived the departure of Les Kiss. Although the Canes were generally poor with their option taking, they had every opportunity to win and yet were continually rebuffed by top desperation defence.

Man of the match was Rob Horne. Take a bow son, you looked like you would break the line every time you touched the ball. Mumm, Waugh and Robinson were next best, with no-one really having a shocker. Saying that, Palu looked a mile better than Fava and will take his starting spot next week.

Tahu was quiet, and I still don't know if 12 is his spot. Carter seemed to get us moving better when he came on, though I wouldn't dispense with Timana just yet. He is a powerful runner, but seems to be trying to do too much, and gets himself in trouble on occassions. A very good win, and the best possible start to the season. And best of all...no injuries!!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
barbarian said:
Man of the match was Rob Horne. Take a bow son, you looked like you would break the line every time you touched the ball. Mumm, Waugh and Robinson were next best, with no-one really having a shocker. Saying that, Palu looked a mile better than Fava and will take his starting spot next week.

Maybe no-one had a shocker, but there were a few passengers for the Tahs. Burgess' passing is erratic as always. Unless he fixes it he barely deserves to be a provinvial level half.

Fava stunk it up mostly. Whilst Tahu didn't stand out, I thought he did enough to retain his place against Carter, who stood out even less. The Tahs' kicking was woeful.

Caldwell looked average, but admittedly I didn't watch for him either. Freier didn't make any impact off the bench.

Turner had his ups and downs but got involved a lot.

Horne looked awesome, though. Deserved MOM. Waugh went well, as did the scrum and lineout. Great defence as a whole, but the Beale watchers would've noticed him falling off a few and missing some others altogether. Speaking of Beale, he looked flakey in defence and when kicking, but his cross field kick to Turner for Horne's try was a pearler and he put in some nice jinking run and some sweet cut out passes - looked good with ball in hand. SNK had a solid game at the back.

Overall, a solid start from the Tahs, but they have plenty of areas for improvement. Set peices just as strong as last year - but the forwards around the park obviously weren't.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
At least Caldwell did his job: to not appear on TV because his head was inside the ruck.

Thought Beale made too many mistakes.

Thought Fava was awful, just like I said he would be.

Was impressed with the sliding defense, really looked solid against a strong attack.

We would have lost against Weepu, Gopperth and Smith.

Waugh fantastic.

Go my man SNK! Makes a huge difference to the compusure and decision-making of the Tahs.

Too drunk to go on, ask me in the morning. :p Go the Tahs. :yay

S

Spook

Dickinson had a shocker. How many penalties did the the Tahs give away (especially in the danger zone)? They deserved several blokes in the bin.

In saying that, the Tahs front row were excellent. TPN was unreal with his offloads in the first half and his punishing defense. Horne was great out wide. He really overshadowed Tahu who made no impact. Turner was quick but that's about it.

Beale is still afraid to tackle. Looks decent going forward at times but his game management was ordinary. Tahs kicking game fell apart a bit after a good start with Sam Hyphen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Apart from the need to bin someone, I don't think Dickinson had a shocker. In principle, the warning prior to a penalty is self-defeating. Just ping them, then card them next time.
Thought the whole Tahs front 5 were good - the locks were invisibly effective doing what they should (esp Mumm), and the scrum looked good. Eventually even the Kiwi comms had to grudgingly admit it, but you could tell it hurt to do so. Waugh has fallen behind a bit - very active, aggressive and all, but he doesn't do the extra bit you get from Smith and Pocock. Can't fault his enthusiasm though.
Palu will likely get a brief rest, although I'm not sure he meant to step on that guy's (? Thrush) head - looked a bit like he was trying to step over, but maybe I'm being kind. I wish Fava would put as much effort into playing, as he obviously does into that ridiculous beard. ::)
Backs played OK, except Horne who was very good.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
Apart from the need to bin someone

Yeah a number of the refs should have binned guys.

The Tahs were very cynical at times which is strange, they had the organisation to back themselves.

The Tahs backs showed what good ball movement and proper lines could do at times.

Positives, the Tahs tight five & Waugh were bloody good, Mowen was OK and Fava ...... was just rubbish. The tight five hunted as a unit which is always a great sign.

Burgess was good, passed well, defended like a demon and covered up stuff well.

Beale was patchy, defensively frail but showed nice attacking moments.

Turner was his usual he does a lot the is great but still is a worry defensively

Tahu started well but got lost.

Horne was the best player on the feild

Lote patchey

SNK was pretty good.

In the end a nice start, if someone had offered the Tahs a four try bonus win away to the Canes, they would have been very happy.

So`oialo and Palu cited
Saturday 14th February 2009

Hurricanes number eight Rodney So'oialo and Waratahs flank Wycliff Palu will appear before a SANZAR Judicial Officer after being cited for separate incidents in Saturday's Super 14 match between the Hurricanes and Waratahs at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.

So'oialo was cited by Citing Commissioner John Wootton for allegedly stamping or trampling on Waratahs player Phil Waugh in the 65th minute of the match, while Palu was cited for allegedly stamping or trampling on Hurricanes player Jeremy Thrush in the 69th minute.

Palu will appear before a SANZAR Judicial Officer at the NZRU offices in Wellington on Sunday, 15 February.

So'oialo will appear at the NZRU offices on Monday 16 February

Palu and Rodney should spend some time on the sidelines.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:

agreed, I fear he will be another player unfairly critisized for just walking onto the park. I thought he played well and, as I said elsewhere, his work to keep RoSo quiet at the scrumbase was excellent.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven't watched all the matches but the Tahs would be close to the best I've seen this weekend.

Horne really does look like something special doesn't he?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
fatprop said:

Agree on all but the bolded part. There are way too many apologists for Burgess' inconsistent passing.

That pass along the ground to SNK was appalling, as was his nothing to Fava to gift the try. In game his passing was a mixture of good stuff in front of the man and slightly static passing.

Good thing to see Burgess not making silly decisions and going the wrong way or getting isolated. Hopefully he eliminates that from his game this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.