• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TDF 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So it feels like this years TDF has snuck up on us a bit in a crowded sporting market.

Great sprint finish yesterday and nice to see Cavendish get his yellow jersey.

What are thoughts on GC winner? I'm hoping it's not a procession for Froome, and Quintana or Contador can push him all the way. It'd be nice to consider Porte in the front runners, but he's failed to impress in the 3 weekers. Hoping I'm wrong on that account though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So it feels like this years TDF has snuck up on us a bit in a crowded sporting market.

Great sprint finish yesterday and nice to see Cavendish get his yellow jersey.

What are thoughts on GC winner? I'm hoping it's not a procession for Froome, and Quintana or Contador can push him all the way. It'd be nice to consider Porte in the front runners, but he's failed to impress in the 3 weekers. Hoping I'm wrong on that account though.

SBS had about 8 GC contenders - just trying to keep me watching? They don't need to do that!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Both Contador and Porte have now lost considerable time after two stages. My tip is that Froome will win again. That is a very strong team put out by Sky.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wow, that's a big call. Haven't noticed any murmurs about it unlike the many strories coming out of France about Armstrong when he was at his peak.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
When Froome competed in the 2012 Olympic road race his body shape looked nothing like it does today. He was a freaking pair of legs on a stick in those days.

But that's just a personal anecdote. I don't have knowledge either way of his and Wiggins guilt/innocence.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I've got a soft spot for team BMC since Cadel won in their colours plus they have now got Ritchie Porte as the team captain. But they are an American team which gives me conflict.
TDF is so good because it is not Americanised, it has got some excellent traditions and watching the scenery and effort from the spectators makes it very compelling.
The main problem I have is sitting up until 2am waiting for the peleton to catch the break-away. Anyway, this time of year is always tough for sleep deprivation with Wimbledon on the other channel.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How well is young Adam Yates going? Even after the Flame Rouge collapsed on top of him. Second on GC is a tremendous achievement against the likes of Rodriguez, Contador, Porte et al. Long may he stay up with the leaders.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tonight's stage will most likely be a straight out sprint into Montpellier. The wind might cause some fracturing in the peloton, but I don't think it will have any bearing on the overall outcome of the race. But tomorrow, up Mont Ventout is another kettle of fish. Will establish if Adam Yates is a top 10 finisher or not. I think he will be.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I earmarked Mnt Ventout as one of the stages I'll stay up for at the start of the race. Should be a make or break night.

Froome is in fearsome form though. They've reduced the amount of climbing finishes to try and give the others a chance, but Froome proved 4 nights ago he's a class above. The only way I see him being beat is bad luck and having a fall. I think he's too wily, committed and confident to be beaten in a straight shootout.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The wind today is making things interesting (to even stay on the bike) and may keep them bunched up for most of the stage.

I am hoping that when they hit Mount Ventoux tomorrow we may finally see someone seriously challenge Froome. I am curious to see if Quintana has anything or he is just hanging on.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
The wind today is making things interesting (to even stay on the bike) and may keep them bunched up for most of the stage.

I am hoping that when they hit Mount Ventoux tomorrow we may finally see someone seriously challenge Froome. I am curious to see if Quintana has anything or he is just hanging on.

My apologies I misread the website and though Vontoux was tonight. Today looks like one for the sprinters.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think BMC are looking strong in this stage and will assert dominance over the peloton in the next 20km. Perhaps another stage win for Van Avarmeat?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
My apologies I misread the website and though Vontoux was tonight. Today looks like one for the sprinters.

There are very few bad TDF stages, and every one counts,

Look out Tinkoff are off. Lotto looks like they want to play a part.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Amazing scenes on Mont Ventoux with people nearly being blown off the summit. Today's stage will be cut short by 6km due to the unsafe conditions on the Mont. Means an early night tonight.

Castle

Frank Row (1)
Very excited for Ventoux tonight, who will be staying up to watch it?

Shame it had to be shortened, but it should still make for a great finish.

Fingers crossed that Porte can hold on all the way, or even make some time on his rivals.

Current margin is 18 minutes between the leaders and the peleton!

Status
Not open for further replies.